Greatest HS match you've watched? Greatest HS match you wrestled?

navychiefmatt09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite was Jon Sheets vs Craig Weinzapfel, semi finals of state.  Sheets was the undefeated defending state champ.  Craig came off the bottom for 5 to go ahead and then held on for the win.  I was sitting in the middle of a huge crowd of Bellmont fans, and you could have heard a pin drop, if not for the lone fool screaming his head off. ;D

Best match i've ever seen would definitely have to go to Maurer vs Dolly. I was really amazed with how much of a stud Dolly was and he didnt back down at all.  As for best match i've ever wrestled,  me vs Sessa for the state title 3-1 OT.   

Slater from Bayside vs. Needick from Valley in the city championships.  If I remember correctly, Slater ducks him then supplay's him.  The move should have been called illegal giving Needick one point for his unsafe return to the mat.  Great match!!!

Who cares who won, as long as Kelly Kapowski was cheering! ;D

I had three that are all at the top of my list....the first was against New Palestine my sophmore year. We we down 28-25 going into the last match...me....I have never been so pumped up for a match in my life....I went out and tossed the kid to his back twice and ended up coming away with a major decision and we won by one....that was the win that put UC on the map that year....the second game in the same year against East Central in the team regional....It was a similar situation in that if I won, I put the match out of reach...there was one match left after me....I was wrestling the same kid that beat me the weekend before at the sectional....I got a reversal in the third to take a 3-2 lead with about 30 seconds left, and held on for the win....That was UC first ever regional title.....the last one was my junior year at the Spartan Classic.....I was wrestling for third/fourth against Dedrick Harrison from Cathedral....We had wrestled three times earlier in our high school careers and he had dominated those matches....we wrestled a scoreless 1st period....he won the toss and took down...got an escape....went into the third and I chose down...got an escape with 20 seconds to go...I hit a slide by with 2 seconds left for the 3-1 win......What great memories!

cant leave out the one second duck from oliver richmond for the title, or how about deron phillips vs billy terry in the semi finals terry was whipping deron pretty good until deron hit his famous "chilly philly" on billy for the fall with very few seconds left in the match.

Elkins/Pingelton was a fun match to watch.

Tsirtsis/Quiroga semi-finals- Top Freshman against a senior nobody thought would lose.  Too bad many of the great matchups are in the semis

Perkey/Escobedo- Perkey had Escobedo on his back for a split second

My favorite was Jon Sheets vs Craig Weinzapfel, semi finals of state.  Sheets was the undefeated defending state champ.  Craig came off the bottom for 5 to go ahead and then held on for the win.  I was sitting in the middle of a huge crowd of Bellmont fans, and you could have heard a pin drop, if not for the lone fool screaming his head off. ;D

That Kinda sounds like the year Weinzapfel was facing a small freshman named Angel Escobedo.  Angels father bet his Craigs father 100 bucks on the match.  Then Angel quieted the crowd by putting Craig on his back early and often.  Never heard EMD fans so quiet in my life. 

History lesson:

I try to deal in facts, not fiction or speculation (I have been sucked into speculation a couple of times). The best state finals match I can find is the 1958 120 lb. state finals match.

?A classic match-up at 120 lbs drew everyone?s attention. Two defending champions squared off, Bill Andrews of Indianapolis Manual, 1957 champ at 103 lbs., and Ron Hutcherson of Bloomington, 1957 champ at 112 lbs. Andrews claimed the victory and won his second individual title.?

Andrews won the match by an 8 to 4 score. This may sound like a low scoring, boring match, BUT at that time you were not allowed to release a wrestler once you had taken him down. It was an automatic 1-point stalling penalty if you released, plus the escape point. You were required to work for the pin. One point then was probably worth ten points by today?s standards.

Absolutely useless trivia: head gears were optional, nobody used a mouth pieced, you wrestled without tops, and most of the holds pictured in the rulebook as illegal were allowed.

And as Paul Harvey used to say ?Now you know the rest of the story?

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Robert Rossbottom vs. Dan Jankowski at the seymor semi-state. When the match started everyones attention shifted to that mat and people crowded to that corner of the gym, on the floor and in the balconoy and the match did not disappoint. My memory is kind of foggy so maybe someone can help me out but i think the score was 4-2 0r 4-3 in (2 o.t.).

I would have to say personally my favorite match was last season Andre vs. Jeremy Haskett double overtime 4-3 match with Dre winning. That also was the last match my grandfather got to see him wrestle he was so proud!! He past this weekend from cancer. But I been thinking about that day since I seen this question. So thank you it was a great day for us!!

That Kinda sounds like the year Weinzapfel was facing a small freshman named Angel Escobedo.  Angels father bet his Craigs father 100 bucks on the match.  Then Angel quieted the crowd by putting Craig on his back early and often.   Never heard EMD fans so quiet in my life. 

A) Angel Escobedo wrestled Craig Macke for the State Championship his freshman year, not Craig Weinzapfel.

B) Angel Escobedo was raised without a father.

C) Angel Escobedo's father figure, his uncle Dave, is a great guy and would NEVER bet 100 bucks on his nephew's high school wrestling match.

Ignorant posts such as this one will not only detract from your future credibility, but also are dangerous in that they slander a very good family man's name.

History lesson:

I try to deal in facts, not fiction or speculation (I have been sucked into speculation a couple of times). The best state finals match I can find is the 1958 120 lb. state finals match.

?A classic match-up at 120 lbs drew everyone?s attention. Two defending champions squared off, Bill Andrews of Indianapolis Manual, 1957 champ at 103 lbs., and Ron Hutcherson of Bloomington, 1957 champ at 112 lbs. Andrews claimed the victory and won his second individual title.?

Andrews won the match by an 8 to 4 score. This may sound like a low scoring, boring match, BUT at that time you were not allowed to release a wrestler once you had taken him down. It was an automatic 1-point stalling penalty if you released, plus the escape point. You were required to work for the pin. One point then was probably worth ten points by today?s standards.

Absolutely useless trivia: head gears were optional, nobody used a mouth pieced, you wrestled without tops, and most of the holds pictured in the rulebook as illegal were allowed.

And as Paul Harvey used to say ?Now you know the rest of the story?

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Now this was interesting. Thank you for posting TAE... Made me feel young!

It was the first time I went to state Scott Ellis hit a standing peterson to win by a point in the last ten seconds. 

Scott Ellis, Warren Central

37-2

Paul Mayer, Lowell

29-4

score:  13-12

Lance can correct me my mind is slipping it left such an impression on a first year wrestler I made a promise I would not step into Market Square arena again unless I earned the right.

dpetty i disagree with you. first and foremost let me say that scott ellis and lance(lance is godfather to my son ) are very close friends or mine. the scott ellis state championship match of his was truly tremendous. it was a back and forth see saw match and scott did hit a few standing grambies but did not hit a gramby to a peterson for his win, as a matter of fact scott was on top and had to ride his opponent for about one second for the win. i have the match on tape and watch it a lot.this was another of the best matches i ever saw. scott ellis was an animal. period.

another great match up in 83 state finals was mike silverman from carmel vs barry hart from elkhart central. it was hart who hit two or three gramby petersons for the win as silverman was beating him pretty good. great match to watch.hart was a move in from michigan where i believe he placed third the yr before there.

This is easy for me....Greatest match of all time , for me.

December 4th 2008

My son (name not important) wrestles his first HS Varsity match against a wresetler from NorthView.

Period 1- score 8-5 (my son is down)

Period 2 - score 14-11 (son still down)

Period 3 - scored tied at 19-19 (honest)

OT 1- My son wins with a take-down with 3 seconds on the clock

Now I know that this match never made a highlight reel or was talked about on indianamat, but it is not even close. It was one of the proudist days of my life!!!

At the end of the match both wrestler laid on the mat for a full 10 seconds. It was total action and both were so exhausted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.