Greatest HS match you've watched? Greatest HS match you wrestled?

navychiefmatt09

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

145 - Robert Rosbottom (Jeff) - Dan Jankowski (EMD), 1999 Seymour Semi-State (ticket round)

12 oz. curls:  Your memory of the atmosphere of the match is right on but your recall of the details is a little foggy.  No overtime.  Rosbottom 3-2 decision in regulation.  I remember Rosbottom having to artificially (for him) maintain an exaggerated low level stance the whole match to block out Jankowski's "how low can you go" shots.  Should have been called for stalling twice in the third period to go to OT.

Anyone else remember it this way?

another great match up in 83 state finals was mike silverman from carmel vs barry hart from elkhart central. it was hart who hit two or three gramby petersons for the win as silverman was beating him pretty good. great match to watch.hart was a move in from michigan where i believe he placed third the yr before there.

You get old and things are getting fuzzy but as a young guy it really made an impression on me.  It was a great match over 27 years ago but let's keep that between us LOL.  That was also a great match!

145 - Robert Rosbottom (Jeff) - Dan Jankowski (EMD), 1999 Seymour Semi-State (ticket round)

12 oz. curls:  Your memory of the atmosphere of the match is right on but your recall of the details is a little foggy.  No overtime.  Rosbottom 3-2 decision in regulation.  I remember Rosbottom having to artificially (for him) maintain an exaggerated low level stance the whole match to block out Jankowski's "how low can you go" shots.  Should have been called for stalling twice in the third period to go to OT.

Anyone else remember it this way?

Can't say I do, I was sitting matside.

What a great thread!

Harper vs. Quiroga, the crowd would get louder as Harper cranked to turn him in the third.  It was like the power-half was a volume switch on a scream machine.

Eppert vs. Wright (the last word), I was the assistant official on that finals match.  When the final stalling call was made we couldn't even talk to each other.  It was so loud we couldn't hear each other and we were yelling in each others' ears!

My personal favorite has to be the 171 lb semi-final between Floyd Central and Roncalli.  I have seen it mentioned in many other threads, but not yet in this one.  It came down to a last minute scramble too.  Those two went at each other from whistle to whistle.  I have never focused so hard on a match in my life.

David Zimmer from Angola (mentioned several times in this thread) is no the leprechaun at Notre Dame.

Burress-new albany vs Snyder-mishawaka 93-94

Leavell-decatur central vs Maldonado 1 and 2

Greer-princeton vs Stewart-lawrence north 90-91

best match in-

93-94 quarterfinals state 140.  Third period 4-3, let him up and take him down one minute left...let him up again took him down with 13 seconds left. Never forget that one.

Best match I have ever wrestled, quater final match at state vs. David O'campo.  In overtime he threw a lateral that sent me flying into the ref.  The referee fell off the mat onto the floor and was knocked out cold.  He stayed down until long after the match was over.  Another official had to be pulled off another mat.  I was out of injury time and coach made me stay in the center to avoid any unexpected penalties to end the match.  When the new ref walked on the mat I wasn't expecting him to start right away since the other official was still on the floor.  He blew the whistle while I was turned towards the coach's corner.  I whipped around into my stance.  O'campo sprawled, I reacted by sprawling, but I slipped on the sweat that puddled during the wait and fell on top of O'campo.  The ref awarded two and walked off the mat.  He never even raised my hand!  Coach Nick ran out and jumped on me while I was still laying there.  The kid taping the match threw his arms in the air and knocked the tripod down the steps breaking the camera.  

This is easy for me....Greatest match of all time , for me.

December 4th 2008

My son (name not important) wrestles his first HS Varsity match against a wresetler from NorthView.

Period 1- score 8-5 (my son is down)

Period 2 - score 14-11 (son still down)

Period 3 - scored tied at 19-19 (honest)

OT 1- My son wins with a take-down with 3 seconds on the clock

Now I know that this match never made a highlight reel or was talked about on indianamat, but it is not even close. It was one of the proudist days of my life!!!

At the end of the match both wrestler laid on the mat for a full 10 seconds. It was total action and both were so exhausted.

I agree the first varsity matches my sons wrestled, every match they wrestled after. Win or lose, as a proud father, nothing better then watching your son go out and give everything they have to compete in the best sport ever. 

My personal favorite has to be the 171 lb semi-final between Floyd Central and Roncalli.  I have seen it mentioned in many other threads, but not yet in this one.  It came down to a last minute scramble too.  Those two went at each other from whistle to whistle.  I have never focused so hard on a match in my life.

Cooper Samuels and Jacob Blackwell?  If I remember right, there was quite a bit of hype going into that match and it lived up to it.

Hugh Waddington(LN) vs. Brian Johnson(Beechgrove)  '87 126lbs. State Chapionship match

Lance Ellis's(Cathedral) 4th title - tossing and pinning Scott Wilson(Rushville) after Wilson takes him down

Cooper Samuels(Floyd Central) vs. Jacob Blackwell(Roncalli) semi-finals match @ state tournament

Frank Ingalls(LN) reversing Doug Rigney(Decatur Central) w/ :03 seconds to go for the Marion County Championship in '88

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.