Indy Star Team State Article

Coach77

It's time to completely break away from the IHSAA and let the IHSWCA completely take over wrestling in the state of Indiana.

Really?  Are you sure about that?  If you are, I would get ready to open your checkbook because if you think a school district is going to support an athletic team that is not sanctioned by the IHSAA you are sadly mistaken.

Charges to think about when wrestling is not part of the IHSAA:

1.  Wrestling Room - It takes alot to heat that room to 95 degrees

2.  Wrestling Mat - This could actually be a blessing.  For those mats that are worn in the middle, this is a great opportunity to teach the boys to wrestle at the edges.

3.  Singlets - Singlets, Singlets, we don't need no stinkin' singlets (please use a cheesy spanish accent when saying this line)

4.  Warm-Ups - What is the going price for a Pro Power T-Shirt these days

5.  Officials - winning team should have to pay for the officials since they're the only one happy anyway.  (or expect alot of 42-42 ties)

6.  Indiana State Fair Horse Barn - Needed to replace Conseco Fieldhouse - the good news is we don't have to worry about saving seats since everyone has to bring their own.

these are just some of the expenses I could think of.  You may add your own

Really?  Are you sure about that?  If you are, I would get ready to open your checkbook because if you think a school district is going to support an athletic team that is not sanctioned by the IHSAA you are sadly mistaken.

Charges to think about when wrestling is not part of the IHSAA:

1.  Wrestling Room - It takes alot to heat that room to 95 degrees

2.  Wrestling Mat - This could actually be a blessing.  For those mats that are worn in the middle, this is a great opportunity to teach the boys to wrestle at the edges.

3.  Singlets - Singlets, Singlets, we don't need no stinkin' singlets (please use a cheesy spanish accent when saying this line)

4.  Warm-Ups - What is the going price for a Pro Power T-Shirt these days

5.  Officials - winning team should have to pay for the officials since they're the only one happy anyway.  (or expect alot of 42-42 ties)

6.  Indiana State Fair Horse Barn - Needed to replace Conseco Fieldhouse - the good news is we don't have to worry about saving seats since everyone has to bring their own.

these are just some of the expenses I could think of.  You may add your own

Really? Does your school poor thousands of dollars into your wrestling program? A majority of the budget here is raised by myself and the HS coaching staff. Refs are paid by tournament entry fees. Singlets are donated by places like the American Legion or VFW. Would your school not part with a wrestling mat?Is there no Y or Boys and Girls Club in your town to hold practices? Would we really let the IHSAA hold us hostage with money?

My AD today just happened to mention what he had been told about the Team event was two things.

It was losing lost of money.

They had several examples of teams that were the favorite to win the match instead put in JV to compete because that team didn't care about the event.

I explain to him that while this information had a gain of true that he probably was not given the whole story because those informing him about it had a predetermined goal in mind by sharing the information.  After a short converstion  that followed he seem to see a little clearer picture than the first one that had been painted for him.   Which means its safe to say most AD and Principals need to be a little more informed to the whole story about Team State not just a few select point the IHSAA want to focus on.

Well, I guess the paying fans will determine the fate of the TEAM STATE.

Re: Blake Ress, I lost all respect for him when he sat next to me at the M'ville SS and told me, "there's plenty of room after the 2nd round is finished". Unbelievable.

His predecessor is arrogant and I have never cared for him, even after the first time I met him at the coaches clinic many years ago. He doesn't care about wrestling, period. Never has, never will.

Do what you want, Bobby. We'll survive.

I remember going the year that CP won the title and I showed up during the second round all ready to pay and all for both me and my daughter.  When I went up to the ticket taker to get a ticket she told me that they had run out of tickets and to go ahead and go on in.  So, I was happy that I could see the event that day for free, but I am also wondering how many other times this has happened and if it is about money how much it would cut into the profit for the day.

I would assume with all school wrestling first round of team state the gym would be mostly full.  So to me we would want more all around wrestling fans to come in during the 2nd and 3rd rounds to replace the fans that leave to make the long tripback after their team was eliminated.  Why they wouldn't have enough tickets to sell to these fans if one of the big emphasis is money would be beyond me but if its happened in the past who knows.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.