Weight loss?

NoGutsNoGlory

1. Next week teams can start to do the body fat tests.

2. You body fat percentage can not be below 7% for boys or 12% for girls.

3. If you are below 7% for boys or 12% for girls at the time of the test you have to get a note from your doctor saying you are normally that way. You will not be able to go down a weight class.

4. If you are above 7% for boys or 12% for girls you can cut down to whatever weight you would be if you only had 7% for boys or 12% for girls.

5. The results of the text will tell you what your weight would be at 7% body fat for boys or 12% for girls.

6.You can only cut 1.5% of your starting weight per week. For example if you weighed 200lbs on the day of the test you can cut 1.5% of that weight per week every week until you get to the weight your test result say you would be at 7% body fat for boys or 12% for girls. For a 200lb wrestler that would be 200 x .015 = 3. That 200lb wrestler would be able to cut 3lbs per week every week until he makes his lowest weight.

Have these rules been in place awhile?  I have seen kids lose 7-8 lbs the day before a dual match, gorge themselves and lose another 7-8 for the weekend tourny.  Who polices the weight loss of each wrestler, each coach should.  I agree that we need to maintain some regulations, but when no one enforces it, there will always be wrestlers who cut 8 lbs or more in a week.  If they want this rule enforced is there a better way to enforce besides the honor system?

So if I am understand this correctly a 160 lbs wrestler has a tourny on Saturday, he comes into the wrestling room on Monday at 165, basically he cant wrestle 160 the following weekends tourny because the most he can cut that week is 2.4 lbs?

The coach has to fill out a individual weight loss paper for each wrestler. That paper lists the date of each contest the wrestler weighed in. The weight that wrestler weighed that day is also listed. If you weighed in on a Saturday and your next event was the next Saturday then you could lose what ever your individual weight loss plan says your maximum weight loss per week . The form does not record what you weigh each day at practice. I idea is that the wrestler does not bounce up and down in weight but it does not always work that way.  So, if you weighted 160.0 on Saturday and your next event was the next Saturday the system in place right now had no record of what you weighed on Monday to Friday.  You would be able to wrestle 160lbs again the 2nd Saturday. These rules have been in place 8 to 10 years.

If the spirit of the rule is followed you should rarely have a kid ever more than 5lbs over at any time during the week.

Plus if the proper procedure if followed to establish a wrestlers minumum weight via the body fat test we should see very little of the unhealthy weight dropping that used to happen regularly especially at the lower weights.

personally, I think it has kinda ruined the lower weights, especially 103.  103 has turned into a glorified JV weight class.  If they are going to regulate weight cutting then they need to get rid of a weight class that no varsity caliber wrestler can wrestle at without breaking the rules.

I thought it was 5% for boys and 7% for girls. That's what our coach told us.

That has never been the rule for high school wrestling. I do know that in collage the boys can go down to 5%. I have no idea how low girls can go in collage. The rule when first made was 7% for boys and 12% for girls and it has not changed.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I have noticed that's kind of funny that I never noticed when I was back in high school is....the spelling is terrible on these forums. I just wanted to make a comment about that, not being mean just saying how entertaining it is to read these now days lol.

If the spirit of the rule is followed you should rarely have a kid ever more than 5lbs over at any time during the week.

HahahahahahahahHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  That's a good one karl. Its the rare wrestling team that ever has a wrestler that's 5 lbs over his wrestling weight.  Please! I wish coaches would stop getting on these threads because the y really come off as disingenuous. If a coach feels the need to get on, just state the rule and leave the commentary to others.

In my opinion the real problem with kids today is not the cutting of  weight to get to a weight class.  It is the bad diet or gorging that kids do on pop and fast food that get them over a healthy weight to begin with.  The united States is the fatest country in the world due to are excessive behavior and kids get swept up into this even if a coach is harping on them to have self control.  So then after a said wrestler makes weight and is probably still above his 7% limit he will go back to his harmful ways and stuff his face with everything this country promotes food wise that is horrible for kids.  

I always get a good chuckle from parents who say wrestling isn't healthy then turn around and feed their kids fastfood 4 or more times a week.

Just my opinion.

I agree with tskin.  I would like to add that the IHSAA should look at the harmful effects that football coaches do with kids in requiring that they GAIN weight!!!  Maybe a rule should be in place that if a kid is obese he should have to follow a plan that he could not gain weight before the next football game!!!! 

My buddies did not die face down in the muck to see our country plump up thier next generation... am I wrong!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.