How many girls wrestle in Indiana?

Pski

I wish it was easy to know.  The IHSAA does not keep records of how many women wrestle in HS because it is no considered a co-ed or boy & girl sport.  So, if you would ask the NFHS they would show zero women wrestling from Indiana.  There are approx. 200 women registered with USA Wrestling through the Indiana State Wrestling Association.  Most of these are Bantam through Novice.  There are about three dozen registered from Schoolgirl to Junior age groups.  We all can ask the IHSWCA to take a census through their member coaches.  Women wrestling is not going away, so leading the women you have wrestling for you in the correct direction would be what I feel all coaches would want to do.

This is the battle I face with my position as women's director.  How do we draw more girls to the sport and show them opportunities through high school if we have no way to know where they are at or who they are?  Wrestling for younger girls is on an even plain with the boys up until around the Novice and Schoolboy/girl ages.  The ISWA had a girl triple crown winner in 2009 (Demi Allen).  Just this year there was a Middle school state champ, Kayla Miracle.  Be it at the smaller weight class.  In HS we had Sarah Hildebrandt qualify for Semi-State at 103 and has two national championships and two runner-ups awards this season against women.  Even at higher weights in HS, Morgan Pittsford from Yorktown, wrestled through HS against the boys and is now exceeding in her second year at King College wrestling only women.  Demi Strub has not been able to qualify for regionals in two seasons at 125 & 130, but has been a multiple national runner-up in women's tournaments.

Sticking with the sport of wrestling through high school for women and exceeding is as much up to the parents and club program as it is the wrestler.  Without the willingness of a parent to take their daughter to the womens events throughout the state, region, and country, they will not know how good they can be or be able to see all of the women that there are wrestling. 

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

Darren,

I like to thank you for the feedback.  200 women registered in Indiana with USA Wrestling seems kind of high to me. The only reason I say that is I went to many FS/ GR tournaments over the summer with my nephew and I did not see but maybe a handful of girls at every tournament. Even at State I did not see that many.  Maybe there was more with the Folkstyle.  The only reason I bring this up is that I am trying to understand what kind participation there is in the state.  Due to the fact that my daughter who is in the 8th grade came to me  a couple weeks ago and told me she is going out for the wrestling team instead of trying out for the Basketball team.  I had a major breakdown and put my foot in my mouth not once but many times and said some means things. My wife did not say a word during the discussion, but did so after things calmed down. I told my wife during my years of wrestling, I never wrestled any girls and thank god I did not.

I asked my wife where in the heck did this come from. She told me that she thought that my daughter would like to spend more time with me and that she knows that this is the one sport that I truly love.  I told my wife that I have gone to every basketball game and cheer for her and her twin sister. I help volunteer for club volleyball, and have supported them both all the way with anything that they did. I told my wife that I do not see anything good coming of this, and 90% of the time I am right.  Last week at a barbecue my nephew brought the subject back up and he started with nasty remarks, and again I lost my cool. I basically told him if he very touched her or made a rude comment in any way, he would not live to see another day on the mat. This main reason I do not want her wrestling.  The other problem I have is there is a boy on the team that she likes, and I told her it will not go well, and I can not handle the emotional baggage that comes with girls (That is my Wifes job).  I told my wife that I do not have a problem with her wrestling with other girls, but I just do not want her wrestling with the boys. Maybe I am being overly protective and at times I feel like an oxymoron, because I tell my girls they can do anything they want except wrestle.

So as the ISWA Women?s Director I need to hear some logic as to way I should let my daughter wrestle and this goes for anybody else that wants to put their 2 cents on the subject.

I do see your point, believe me.  My daughter is a senior and started when she was in 7th grade.  Your daughter's reason to wrestle to spend more time with you is one that also brought my daughter to wrestling.  There was many others including she has 4 boy cousins that are in wrestling.  She thought that the sport would work for her.  She is the only girl on her team now, but she has been there the entire time and hasn't asked for special treatment.  I know it is tough for many parents to let their daughters wrestle boys, but for now it is the best way for them to learn the sport.  For now, I mean when women's wrestling can become a recognized sport through the IHSAA.  

Wrestling boys at her school during practice will be difficult, but kids seem to handle these issues very well.  It also has a lot to do with the coaches.  If the coach treats everyone fairly and doesn't allow anything against the girl to go on, the team will begin to just treat her as a member of the team.  She will have to push herself and do everything that the boys are doing.  As far as matches against boys, I have never seen any boys do anything that was inappropriate.  The boys are far to worried about losing to a girl.  I have always told my daughter that when you wrestle boys, you will get the best match that they can give because of that reason.  As you know, wrestling is a very individual sport that has great payoffs to you when you succeed.  It has that much if not more payoff for women that wrestle.  Knowing that you can compete, succeed, and gain respect in such a demanding sport is a wonderful confidence builder for your daughter.  The challenges will be difficult, but realistic goals and using the boys season to prepare for wrestling women is a great motivator.

There are 200 girls registered, but as I said about 3 dozen are from Schoolgirl to Junior ages (13-up).  There are several others that participate on HS and MS teams that never wrestle with USAW and aren't counted in that number.  Most girls wrestling in Indiana, wrestle only in their local clubs.  To truly wrestle women requires commitment and dedication by both the women wrestler AND parent.

If she is wrestling because she is truly interested and wants to succeed, there are many options for her outside of the regular MS season.  Check out the ISWA.com Women's section & the USGWA.com.  We'll have a women's only camp next July.  There are women's only tournaments starting in January.  If she picks up the fundamentals well, she will be well served by attending as many women's events throughout the state and region.  Once you attend a good women's tournament, you will understand that women's wrestling is a considerable sport.  

Keep in touch and let everyone know how your daughter is doing throughout the season.  We would strongly encourage you to support your daughter in wrestling and to make every effort to attend women's events.

After I just posted, I saw that you are located in SE Indiana.  Let me know where, we are at  East Central HS.

Thanks!!

Darren Strub

ISWA Women's Director

iswawmnsdirector@aol.com