Sadly, does this sound familiar?

jlittlejohn

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid35146384001?bctid=615608347001

Family: 'Choking Game' Led to Teen's Death on BowflexUpdated

AOL News (Sept. 23) -- The family of a 16-year-old California boy who died after being entangled in a Bowflex exercise machine now say they believe he had been playing "the choking game," a dangerous phenomenon among teens who try to get high by making themselves pass out.

"We had never even heard about this before," Eric Butler, the high school athlete's father, told CBS13 in Sacramento. "It's something we never had a chance to talk about with Justin."

Justin Butler was found by his parents Sunday night, unconscious and twisted in the lines of the exercise machine. They performed CPR but were unable to revive him. He died Monday. Nevada County officials have ruled the teen's death an accident.

"I think we need to be brutally honest about the reality of what happened," Eric Butler told The Union newspaper of Nevada County, Calif. "The only way to make something good come out of the death of our son is to save the lives of some other kids. Because that's what we're talking about here -- life and death."

Also known as Hangman, Elevator, Tap Out and Flatliner, the deadly ritual has killed more than 80 children and teens from 1995 to 2007, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a 2008 report. By using a noose or a rope, youngsters try to reach a state of euphoria induced by cutting off oxygen to the brain.

Justin had just scored his first touchdown for the Bear River High School football team last Friday night. He made all A's on his last report card, his family said.

"Because Justin was such a great kid, we thought that the best way to honor him is to put the spotlight on this activity that could endanger our kids," Bill Buus, his uncle, told The Sacramento Bee. "We want to put this information out there as quickly as possible to prevent another child from dying."

Justin and a friend were watching football and doing homework Sunday while his parents were outside gardening. Apparently, his father said, when the friend left the room, Justin decided to choke himself by leaning his neck into a strap anchored by the exercise machine, The Union reported.

Sponsored LinksHis parents said friends of their son had come forward in the past few days to tell them about the "game" several of them had been playing.

"The kids told us about it and that apparently he had done it before," Justin's mother, Kendall Butler, said.

Her husband agreed. "It was made clear to us that this is being done by kids, that it's part of their culture right now," Eric Butler said.

I debated on whether or not to make this post. However; being that, our wrestling community was recently exposed to this phenomenon, I thought it was appropriate as a reminder that it is an issue that needs to be broached. In discussing it with my children, I discovered that it was nothing new to them and they had friends who were involved in this type of activity and we talked openly about them having been encouraged to try it. Just as with any danger, education is vital to survival. If it weren?t for our own recent tragedy I would not have known to discuss this with my kids and as much as I hate to admit it, I realize that the discussion we had may have possibly saved one of their lives. I hope they got the message; as I do you, talk about!

I am still grieving from the loss of Zach Wise, whose life was taken away playing this dangerous game.  Zach's parents, friends & family, along with myself are doing whatever we can to get the message out; to educate kids and parents about the dangers of this game, and the ways in which it is played.  Kids with various personalities par-take in the game in groups, or individually.  Channel 6 news, out of Indianapolis was at Pendleton Heights High School this evening.  The parents of Zach Wise spoke to concerned parents about the game, and also addressed concerns with how kids are still dealing with the grieving process.  Tomorrow the Wise's are speaking to the high school student body to get the message out and answer any questions kids may have.  I would hope that school systems across the state and country would implement convocations to address this issue!  Not sure when the story will air on Channel 6, but hopefully many will see.

Courtney Duncan

I was watching an old episode of Dr. G the other day (which I actually had seen before) and she had to do an autopsy on a 12 yr. old they thought killed him self,turns out he was playing the "chocking game" ,so no one is too young. My boys are 12 so I decided to speak to them about it again, because I have heard of it too many times before. Just keep talking one day, when you least expect it they will hear you.

I was completely in the dark about this, but will definately be discussing it with my Son this Evening! As hard as a post like this is to make, I'm certain that it is one that needs to be made. Thank you much for posting it & very sorry for all those families suffering because of this!

I had heard of this a few months ago, but the article didn't describe what was being done for fear that kids would try it.  When I finally found out the details, it was a huge eye opener.  I remember as a kid, probably somewhere between 5th and 7th grade, the neighborhood kids did a variation of this out on the front lawn of our houses!  We had absolutely no idea there was any danger.  Just that it made you feel a little loopy and sometimes you'd pass competely out for a brief period.  Wow, we had no idea what so ever what we were playing with.  I wish someone had talked to us because we were oblivious to any risk.  I didn't realize it until the tragedy with the wrestler happened.  Although that was a terrible situation, perhaps giving it the publicity will save some kids.  It certainly opened my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.