4 year old wrestler

rdrodd1

I need some help here......I have a grandson that is getting ready to turn 4 and have been preaching wrestling to him since he began walking and talking......I have had him in some wrestling rooms since he could walk and couldn't keep him off of the mat......

My question is:  What and how do I keep him and his 2 year old brother interested in it?  It has been a long time since I have had a kid and nephews involved in wrestling but none of them started until JR. High......

What can you do to get them and keep them interested in wrestling at such an early age? 

Please, parent's, help me out here. I am  trying to lay a path for my grandson's to a better future....How hard should I be on them?  Should I just make it a fun time?  I haven't had a wrestler this young....If you ask Collyn he will tell you that he is going to be a wrestler but that is me talking through him and praying that he takes to it....No matter what they do, Papaw will be proud....

All of the advise that you parents and coach's can give me will be great....

If you ask Collyn at four years old he will tell you that he is going to be a State Champ......Now I need to know how to get him there.....

Thank you all.

RD

The other night during the Living the Dream telethon Jake Herbert called my house...we had a delightful converstation (GREAT GUY).  At one point I asked his advice about getting little ones into wrestling (I told him I don't want to be THAT dad ) as my little man is almost four.  He told me to get him into Golf.....lol.

rdrodd1 - I took the position of letting my boys come to the sport on their own.  I didn't stay involved in the wrestling community in any state we had lived in prior to moving to IN and I decided I wouldn't get involved until one of them decided to pick up the sport.  In other words, I wasn't taking them to practices or local H.S. matches.  I knew what was available as far as clubs and I would simply ask my oldest if he wanted to wrestle and he didn't decide to participate until he was a 7th grader in middle school.  I think if I would have taken him to matches or practices it may have gotten him involved sooner I just didn't do it.  The oldest had a better than average h.s. career but the youngest picked up the sport a lot earlier (3rd grade) thanks to big brother's lead.  I think you're taking the right path exposing your grandsons to the sport but would recommend letting them come to the sport on their time.  Don't push.  You've raised kids and know that when an adult pushes that's generally the kiss of death!

I have two sons involved in wrestling presently- one a Soph and one an 8th grader.  They both started at around 4 or 5.  I did not pressure or push.  I simply asked them if they wanted to go, if they said yes I took them if they said no they stayed home.  I did not take them to all the meets, I would usually pick 3 or 4 close ones and I would also give them the option. So sometimes they may have only went to 2 that year.  I think it is about creating a love for the sport and a general understanding.  I want them to have a chance to be a state champ but I also let them know it is not the end of the world if they are not.  I know several state champs that are in jail or unemployed- there is a much bigger picture that seems to be ignored at times in our society.  I am not the perfect example- my kids are not multiple state champs or undefeated wrestlers but I know they both still love wrestling and being a part of that community.

Hope this helps.

Don't be "that" guy!

You will learn quick that what is right for one may not be what works for the other.  I have 2 boys, both wrestle.  The oldest came to me and wanted to wrestle in 1st grade and the the little one followed soon after at age 3.  The older one you can't keep off the mat. He wrestles year around.  We ask him every couple of months, " what do you want" and he always replies "I want to be the best"  so we drive him all over the place and make sacrifices to get him all the opportunities we can to make his dream come true.  The other one if we pushed him like that, would fall apart.  He still plays football and gymnastics and only does wrestling 8 months out of the year and even during the wrestling season, he only practices maybe 1-2 times a week.  It is just fun for him and that is all he wants out of it right now.  They will make their own choices and it is up to us to give them what they need to get to where they want to be in what ever they do.  Just listen to them, they will tell you.

It has been my experience with my grandkids that I can get them to do almost anything I want them to do by just spending time with them.  They will have fun doing almost anything as long as you are paying attention to them.  Just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I have no desire in demanding that  my Grandson's wrestle....I have been taking them to matches with me and they both seem to love to watch it...  Every since Collyn could understand me, I have been talking about wrestling with him and he seems to love it....I am just praying that he falls in love with it and then his little brother will follow....I would never tell them that if they don't wrestle, Papaw wont like them....I just am trying my best to influence them... I know in my heart, that it would be the best for them boys.........OLD PAPAW TRICK......  Heck, I am 50 this year and I have a few more years of this great sport in me......If I have to lie to them, so be it......

I have no desire in demanding that  my Grandson's wrestle....I have been taking them to matches with me and they both seem to love to watch it...  Every since Collyn could understand me, I have been talking about wrestling with him and he seems to love it....I am just praying that he falls in love with it and then his little brother will follow....I would never tell them that if they don't wrestle, Papaw wont like them....I just am trying my best to influence them... I know in my heart, that it would be the best for them boys.........OLD PAPAW TRICK......  Heck, I am 50 this year and I have a few more years of this great sport in me......If I have to lie to them, so be it......

I think thas great, I have friends with lil ones and they are gettin them goin this year two little roughnecks haha. Look foward to seein ya soon rdrodd. I love this sport started my son when he was 5 and it flew by so enjoy every minute of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's input....I went over to my daughters' for her birthday tonight and them boys need to be on the mat right now...My god, the energy is overwhelming....Maybe I am getting old and starting to enjoy the nice, relaxing environment of a wrestling room....LOL

Seriously though, thank you all for the input.  I have talked with a few little kid coaches and sadly, some of them have asked me not to bring them if I don't plan on keeping them there.  They have told me that they teach their style of wrestling and it might not work so well if you change systems....I am willing to provide the best for them but I want their best interest to be the focus of the coach....Since I am here in Central Indiana and the boys are on the South Side, I figure that this narrows it down to Coach Ellis.....I hear that he is awesome with the little kids and seeing what he has done in a short time with Roncalli, how could I go wrong???? 

Anymore input would be of great help.....

Thanks,

RD

Thats Great Ron, can't wait to see the lil guy on the mat. You are correct Lance is great with the kids and a technician him and Robert. Not a whole lot of Tiny ones to wrestle with but its not all that important. Perry on the other hand Have you been to the Elementary practices? With all there is a dynasty of lil wrestlers there, at the youth level and they are only goin to get stronger. Tonte and Schoettle has built the perfect program starting with those 4 year olds we are talkin about. Just my opinion    You will love it wherever you take him. The bond that you build with the kids and other parents is the best. I love it and Im gonna miss it when my boys done. Youll actually if your anything like alot of us been takin our kids to National Touneys by 5, you meet some really great peopl, its fun. Enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input.....I have hooked Collyn up with the Southside Rebels.  Dennis Wells has made my daughter and Collyn welcome and excited about starting this wrestling dream.  My intentions all along have been to get them boys into CYO or Perry Wrestling because I know that they are the best around.....Coach Ellis, Coach McGinley and Coach Tonte must be about the best around this area.....Since a West Side Coach told me to not bring my grandson unless I planned on keeping him there or it would not benefit Collyn by switching clubs........I can't wait for that southside boy to whip up on them westside boys......

Thank you and Looking for a great first year of wrestling with my newest little knucklehead.......

i have said this before.  Let the  kid have fun as he begins wrestling and learning the sport.  When the time comes for him to be serious and go for state titles, the enjoyment of the sport and the knowledge of the sport will be a part of the kid.  I believe this is happening here.  Good luck to you and your grandson Collyn.  Enjoy the wonderful journey called wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.