Top Ten Pound for Pound Wrestlers

Drooke

I'm putting together a Top Ten Pound for Pound List for the state of Indiana and was curious who you would include in the list and in what order.  Sorry ladies this is just for the guys this time.

Just let me know if you think I missed someone and I will add them to the list.

I realize that  IndianaMat usually publishes a lb for lb list and I hope I'm not stepping on any toes but this is for a different project.

Thanks Folks!

Good list.  Welch brothers need to be on the list.  I think they both went undefeated at scholastic duals, maybe Doug Welch lost once but they are pretty tough.  Add Sims as well.  I think Roach, Sims, Welch was the toughest weight class last year.  Though Mullins, Tsirstis and Jackson was tough as well.

I thought about the welch twins and have been impressed with them but didn't know if they were a viable option to make the top ten.....I will however add them to the poll.  I'm not sure that Sims is at that level as of yet....I hope he makes me eat my words though.  Thanks for the feedback!

Oh, and sorry folks for my first attempt at this poll.

From the scholastic duals...Doug had a very good win over Garcia from Co.  that kid has all the natual talent but lacks the coaching/technique.

Doug Welch- Castle 6-1

150 IL Chino 2-1 IN D. Welch

150 IN D. Welch FF

150 IN D. Welch 6-1 IL Traylor

150 IN D. Welch 7-3 CO Garcia

150 IN D. Welch 8-6 NJ Rappa

150 IN D. Welch 7-6 PA Martoccio

150 IN D. Welch Fall VA Cronin

Jon Sims- Evansville Mater Dei 2-3

150 IL Chino 1-0 IN Sims

150 IN Sims Fall Connell GA

150 IN Sims 5-0 IL Traylor

150 NY O. Scott 3-2 OT IN Sims

150 PA Martoccio FF

Chad Welch- Castle 7-0

157 IN C Welch FF

157 IN C. Welch 10-0 IL Hardy

157 IN C. Welch 6-0 CO Burghardt

157 IN C. Welch 4-3 NJ Intile

157 IN C. Welch 8-3 IL Taylor

157 IN C. Welch Fall PA Parker

157 IN C. Welch 2-0 VA Grimes

I pulled the results from this link.... http://www.indianamat.com/scholastic-showcase-indiana-results/2010/04/

If you would like to go through the match by match results they are available as well at the bottom of the IndianaMat news page in Dingo's Den.  I didn't review all of them but they might not have considered one of his wins as viable because he might have faced one of the teams that were so depleted it was considered a N/C and the results weren't recorded officially. 

Indyt, I could see McKinley as a viable option for the poll next season (I hope he makes me eat crow as well), I just don't see him breaking into the Top Ten with the individuals already mentioned.

List his national accomplishments if you would though...or pm me.  Thanks!

I thought about the welch twins and have been impressed with them but didn't know if they were a viable option to make the top ten.....I will however add them to the poll.  I'm not sure that Sims is at that level as of yet....I hope he makes me eat my words though.  Thanks for the feedback!

so was 189, with Sliga,Atwood, and Jones?(stevenson if he didnt get injured) they are all champions

Sims is interesting, he has lost to a finalist every year at state and has three state medals.  He probably was top four this past season, but ran into Roach in the quarterfinals.

I have to second the recommendation to put Simms on the list as well as the Welch boys.  What about Lynde?  His first loss last year was in the Semi-State finals and then at State (to a Welch).  He went out with three losses last year and went undefeated at Disney Duals in the largest school group.

What about Lynde?  His first loss last year was in the Semi-State finals and then at State (to a Welch).  He went out with three losses last year and went undefeated at Disney Duals in the largest school group.

Question WingMan... Aren't you a family member for Mr Lynde?

Jason Tsirtsis 83

Mitch Sliga 76

Cody Phillips 75

Eric Roach 69

Drake Stein 54

Kyle Ayersman 43

Ethan Raley 40

Aaron Stevenson 39

Devon Jackson 38

Josh Kieffer 33

After 95 individuals have casted their votes these are the top 10 at this time.  

I responded in several pm's about the possibility of adding other wrestlers to the voting list.  But I will answer the latest query in this thread.  This is the way I look at it...before I opened this up for voting I basically had who the top 7-8 would be  in my mind and I added the other elite wrestlers from around the state to round out the field.    I don't think any wrestlers that weren't included in the list would make the top ten....and please this is not intended to  slight the achievements of the wrestlers left off of the list.  As I stated before in the first post this has NOTHING to do with IndianMat's pound for pound list but it is for a seperate project I'm currently working on.....I was just looking for my fellow members to solidify what I was thinking and provide some feedback.  Some very talented wrestlers were left off of the list and perhaps I did make a mistake but I had to draw the line somewhere.  

I think Devon Jackson gets a little overlooked here, let's not forget he pinned his way through the State Tournament and probably took who most consider THE best pound for pound into OT.  I would say I was most impressed by him last year after watching him wrestle.  I would say Top 4 in my opinion.

I'm a bit curious XCard who would you drop out of the top 4 ??

Undefeated in Indiana Cody Phillips 2 time champ

Jason Tsirtsis....nuff said

Eric Roach 2 time champ

or

Mitch Sliga....phenom and recent cadet triple crown winner

I'm a bit curious XCard who would you drop out of the top 4 ??

Undefeated in Indiana Cody Phillips 2 time champ

Jason Tsirtsis....nuff said

Eric Roach 2 time champ

or

Mitch Sliga....phenom and recent cadet triple crown winner

If I remember right, Roach has only 1 state championship.  He was 2nd as a fresh, 4th as a soph and champ as a junior.  That said, I still think he is top 4.

I agree that Devon Jackson gets overlooked as well.  He looked great at state.  But I maintain that Sims is one to watch as well.

And just a question, anyone have any idea how many 103 pounders are upper classmen (upper classmen as in Junior and Seniors).  I see some monsters at that weight at state and our 103 pounder is typically a freshman and that is typical in our area.  But some of those boys you see at the semi-state/state level are truly experienced and cut...just curious.

And in regards to the Welch twins.  Not only are they great wrestlers, they display great sportsmanship on the mat which is a real package.

At the 2010 State Finals, for the 103 lb class, there were 2 seniors, 3 juniors, 9 sophmores, and 3 freshman.

Placement as follows:

1st Phillips 10

2nd Petrov 10

3rd Schroeder 11

4th Hall 12

5th Brooks 10

6th Farrell 9

7th Stevens 12

8th Hamm 11

• 2 weeks later...

I think Mason Todd is a strong consideration But Brian Harvey has to be one of the toughest young men around. You cant beat his heart.

Todd looked awesome at the IndianaMat Pre Season Open and he put a beat down on both Schroeder and Brooks.

You are absolutely right.  Brian Harvey has a huge ticker and what he went through Saturday showed unbelievable toughness.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.