ISWA Elementary Duals State - Input needed

PROPOWER

With the increased popularity of Elementary dual teams throughout the State I am looking to propose an elementary duals state tournament to the ISWA Board with an event happening as early as this year.  I welcome any input from parents and coaches out there about having such a tournament.  Please fill free to start conversation on this topic or you can e-mail me at chris@proindustries.com .  Chris Lynch - ISWA Folkstyle Director

Chris , Matt Brewer with Avon Wrestling club here. I think this is an awesome idea. Our club has been participating in duals for the last 4 or 5 years. It is a great format. It allows the boys to be a part of a team. Parents love it, because it allows them to root on kids from the club while they wait for their kids turn to go (makes spending all day in the gym easier to handle). We start our dual meet season in November. We plan on doing as many duals as possible this year. Our club usually takes care of the fee. This allows the boys to get some good matches early for free!

With this said, what will be the age cut off and weight classes? Here in Avon, our sixth graders do not attend middle School. Will sixth grade be the cut off? Many tourneys do sixth grade and under, but can not be schoolboy. Some others do fifth grade and under only.

Next, What will be the weight classes?

Finally, Will it be kids in your community only? Is there a limit of kids allowed from outside of the school district?  Will there be all star teams?

I think that these will be the biggest issues.

All in all, an awsome idea, we will suport the cause.

We look forward to the upcoming season. For Hendricks County boys: We would love to have you this year. Please check the website in October, for sign up dates and times.

Thanks,

Matt Brewer

www.avonwrestling.net

We use a School Base system in Michigan that has worked great over the last 6 years. Not a better way to build your feeder system for your high school Coaches and bond your community programs at an early level.

Our system Wrestlers must feed into the same high school. No age restriction but Divisions based on Grade, home school and private school kids must participate with the School Team in the School District they live in.

Elementary (6th Grade & Under)

Middle School (7th & 8th Grade - 6th Graders can compete in either but only in one division for the State Finals Tournament)

OURWAY (Ohio) is going to run the same weights as Michigan so we can do more cross over stuff, love to support and work with Indiana with School Based Teams.

Anyone is welcome to contact me at:

rstehley@hotmail.com

Rob Stehley

MYWA State Duals Director

A great idea!!! A suggestion on the 6th grader issue.

Hold Elementary State in conjuction with Middle School State at Yorktown. Using four mats at the high school, two for each competition or hold one at the high school the other at the middle school. This in itself will save time checking and cross checking who has or hasn't wrestled in the middle schools dual or elementary dual etc...

Great idea!  I know last year that Penn threw together a elementary team at the last minute and did a couple meets, it was great fun for the kids and adults. I would only have one concern I know we have some elementary wrestlers from other schools who's schools dont offer a club or would even come close to having an elementary team. I know some familes travel a great distance to wrestle with a club, I believe we have one family who drives two hours one way to wrestle at Penn. With that in mind I would  like to see maybe a club division or just allow a schools club members only on the team. I understand that this can cause issues, but I would personally hate to leave out some kids that travel to club because their school doesnt have a program. I would also like to see the age groups kept to 5th grade and under and use ISWA weights...... Just my two cents!

I coach youth football also. With border wars football you have to get a verification for each student, from the school he or she attends. No player from outside of the community allowed. This works great with a sport like footaball where as almost all communities have football leagues.

However, not all communities have wrestling clubs. If a wrestler happens to live in a community without a club, then he or she would not be able to particapate? That is not going to help grow the sport. I would like to see the majority of kids come from the community as where the club is based. However (like with the Disney duels), it would be nice to have a two or three wrestler allowance from outside of the school district. This will alllow more wrestlers to participate, and for teams to fill holes.

With all of that said we could fill a team at our club, but many could not. Wrestlers without a home town club should be allowed this experience.

Great topic! I would like to see this get off the ground.

Your going to have  teams that could fill a team bring in better kids in to take the spot of the kid that belongs to the school.  I Like the idea of bringing in a report card to make sure they belong to that school system. You really think it would be fair for your club to go against the contenders or red cobra.

what do you do with contedners, red cobra, cia kids? these kids just train year round and they belong to some school in the state. for exmaple my boys wrestle for contenders but sometime go to avons to practice for extra mat time, and they attend avon schools. would they be allowed to wrestle for avon if the club asked them too?

There are 9 or 10 Avon kids that attend Contenders. They do come to our room for extra mat time, and are always welcome. They have been asked to join us in duels, if spots were open in the past. This year, all boys will be asked to pay the club fee (minus card fee) and to come when possible to help their community club, to participate in duels. No one should have a problem with having paying club members who live in and around the community being on a team (regardless of where else they train).

With this said, my son has attended Contenders in the past and we go visit those guys as much as posssible. It is a great club. We are very lucky to have a top 5 club in the nation in our county. These boys should not be left out of the duel meet experience.

To the question "You really think it would be fair for your club to go against the contenders or red cobra?". We would lose for sure, but these kids should be able to have the experience. What does a kid from a town like say Pittsboro do? They have no club. Is he left out? We have to open spots on teams for these kids.

It is not about winning and losing, it is about mat time and growing the sport.

There are 9 or 10 Avon kids that attend Contenders. They do come to our room for extra mat time, and are always welcome. They have been asked to join us in duels, if spots were open in the past. This year, all boys will be asked to pay the club fee (minus card fee) and to come when possible to help their community club, to participate in duels. No one should have a problem with having paying club members who live in and around the community being on a team (regardless of where else they train).

With this said, my son has attended Contenders in the past and we go visit those guys as much as posssible. It is a great club. We are very lucky to have a top 5 club in the nation in our county. These boys should not be left out of the duel meet experience.

To the question "You really think it would be fair for your club to go against the contenders or red cobra?". We would lose for sure, but these kids should be able to have the experience. What does a kid from a town like say Pittsboro do? They have no club. Is he left out? We have to open spots on teams for these kids.

It is not about winning and losing, it is about mat time and growing the sport.

I agree that these kids should not be left out but  teams like Contenders and Red Cobra are like "All Star" teams.  Maybe there could be seperate division for the "All Star" teams, a little like they do at the Disney Duals, where if there are more than 3 wrestlers from other school systems they would be considered "All Star" teams.  Just a thought to level the playing field a little.

I agree that these kids should not be left out but  teams like Contenders and Red Cobra are like "All Star" teams.  Maybe there could be seperate division for the "All Star" teams, a little like they do at the Disney Duals, where if there are more than 3 wrestlers from other school systems they would be considered "All Star" teams.  Just a thought to level the playing field a little.

Agreed 3 would be a good number.

We ran 2 Elementary Duals last year and both went very well.  I think a duals state tournament could be another great opportunity to build team unity and develop your feeder system.  I think the two division format works best, meaning an 8 and under division and a 6th grade and under division.  School teams could be separate from year around training facilities. 

This is great stuff guys! We don't have allot of opportunity up north to be involved in duel formats for the 6th grade and under kids. Most, but not all Middle School teams include 6th grade in NWI. Most communities, towns and cities do have some kind of feeder programs and might really enjoy this format. For example, in Munster we have 3 public elementary schools and 2 private elementary schools. Would we be able to combine the 5 schools to make our team?

Thanks,

Mike Crary

Simple......All-Star Division (multiple school systems on one team) and Community Division (only students from one school system on a team)

Food for thought: 1. Where would parochial clubs that draw from a wide area fall?  2. Would community mean that the boys must reside in the same township or a group of townships which feed into the same high school? 3. What if a boy attends a parochial school but lives in a community (township) where there is a club? Would he be allowed to wrestle for his community club if he were not attending a community school?

All would have to be addressed when outlining divisions.

Perhaps this would work: A two day event.

Day one would be for community based teams (made up of kids that reside in a township or a group of townships which would feed into the same High School). I would like to see a three kid allowence (like disney AAU) from other school districts to fill out teams, and allow kids that commute from communities which do not have programs to wrestle with their teammates and friends.

Day two would be an all-star day. Bring your stud teams from all over (any kid from any schools district or township).

Having two days would allow studs to represent their community club, as well as their year round (elite) club or team.

Any thoughts of what you would like to see Chris? I am guessing that you would like to hold this event? Events at Franklin are always awesome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.