weight class

jaydee88

• 2 weeks later...

I think the 103# matches are highly competitive during the state tournament.  Now, if your point is that there are too many forfeits during the season and at sectioanls, then that is another argument.  If we get rid of 103# class, in what sport are these kids going to participate?  The appealing part about wrestling for me has been it allows kids at all sizes to compete aagainst kids their own size. 

Wildcat, you obviously do not have a wrestler that is 103lb, or you would not make that statement.

I saw some of the best wrestling at that weight class in Indiana during sectional, semi-state and State last year.

Panther out

BTY, 3 to 4 lbs may not be much at the mid to upper levels, but at the lowest weight class that is huge.

Any kid that is between 95-102 will not have  chance with the bigger kids cutting down from weights of 115.

Panther out!

BTY, 3 to 4 lbs may not be much at the mid to upper levels, but at the lowest weight class that is huge.

Any kid that is between 95-102 will not have  chance with the bigger kids cutting down from weights of 115.

Panther out!

You were already out, or did I miss the entrance back in?

103 has been very competitive, but as a former 103 lb wrestler I took far too many forfeits (which did nothing to make me a better wrestler)  The new sectional format (10 teams) has helped, but under the old format (5 teams) I wrestled 2 matches and won 2 sectional titles (1 match at 103/1 match at 112).  That just doesn't seem right.  I'd like to see it moved up to 105 or 106, thereby drawing down some smaller 112 lb wrestlers and increasing the competition.  As a coach at a small school, it's often difficult to find a 103 lb wrestler, and I'd hate to lose a team match due to forfeiting this weight class.  This hasn't happened to me personally, but I'm sure it's happened to someone. 

I'm biased.  My 2 boys are smaller.  The oldest weighed 87 as a freshman and wrestled varsity 103 soph yr, 112 his junior yr and 119 his senior yr. Heading to college he weighs between 128 and 130 (yes, he still weighs himself even tho he won't be wrestling in college other than IM's).  I won't be surprised if my youngest, who will be a 7th grader this fall (74 lbs currently), weighs even less than my oldest when he enters h.s.  Jacking the lowest weight to 106/107 will really put him behind the 8 ball for the first 2 years of his h.s. career.  I suppose my/our situation puts us in the minority but when it's happening to you, it doesn't feel good.

Panther out!

Why do you assume that the 115 lber would have an advantage since he's cutting down? I think alot of times, these cutters are at a disadvantage since they're always sucking weight instead of focusing on actual wrestling and technique.  For this reason they are actually losing strength and conditioning.

What would you say to a 171lbs freshman that is not as physically mature as his opponents and has to wrestle a lot of juniors and seniors? Those kids are at a significant disadvantage for the first couple years.

Totally agree.  In fact, I'd much rather give up 10 lbs than be a freshman 189.

What would you say to a 171lbs freshman that is not as physically mature as his opponents and has to wrestle a lot of juniors and seniors? Those kids are at a significant disadvantage for the first couple years.

I guess I'd tell them the same thing I told my  87 lb freshman.  Suck it up.  I told him that wrestling was the sport he chose to concentrate on and that being out weighed wasn't going to be an excuse for not showing improvement at the h.s. level which made him a very hard nosed individual.  Changing the 103 to 106 or 107 isn't going to change the situation for a heavier underclassmen.  He's still going to have to deal with the maturity issue regardless of what happens at the lower weights.  My  kid's h.s. has a 215 lber that has won sectionals as a Freshman, Sophomore and Junior and this upcoming season he'd have to be in a coma to not win his 4th sectiona title.  Frankly, I believe that the disadvantage is almost identical between giving up a lot of weight or facing a kid that  is more physically mature than you.  I guess if you were in my shoes and a weight change was going to make it more difficult for your flesh and blood you might have a different attitude.  I see the viable arguments for wanting to get rid of more ffts but I think the bigger issue for wanting to increase 103 is more based on not wanting to see underclassmen get a varstiy letter which I think is silly.  No arguments I've seen will sway me to the other side mainly because of the situation I'm in personally.

Panther out!

As a former 103 I'll say that by the time I stepped on the mat I was well over 103, as are many others. Look at a lot of the 103s that place at state, do they look like 100 pound kids? A few pounds isn't much, I wrestled 119-145 pounders in practice and sure they were bigger, but that encourages you to work to an angle and and be fast. Now imagine what a really good wrestler can do!

To say that moving the weight class from 103 to 107 is going to fill it up with upper classmen & keep the underclessmen fro lettering ?? That in my opinion is completely the silly statement! think it would eliminate forfeits because you would get a few cutting down from 112, but to say thoze would be upper classmen is pretty off the wall! How did your 215 lber fair after his sectional champs?? sometimes some of thes sectionals are also pretty weak at that weight & i would bet that's the case here, however I could be wrong & their are the Slig'a of the world, but I havent heard about this one. definately not saying it's not possible for him to go under radar & qualify for semi state & beyond, just saying i havent heard of it.. Iguess i will choose to respectfully disagree! My son wrestled 215 as a freshman but never tipped the scale @ more than 185 all Season his freshman year, he couldn't win the 189 spot. He did only go 15 _ 15, but did so repectfully without crying about age or weight difference Hope it works out for ya and little johny can get his 7 wins & 13 forfeits. also hope Cody Phillips make it back to 103 to make the tears flow even faster! or with your stance should we mandate that upper classmen wrestle up so the litte fellas in 9th grade have a shot?

I never said that the weight class would be filled with upperclassmen if 103 went to 106 or 107.  I've seen the argument on this site that it's unfair that freshman get to letter becasue they are light and can a fill a varsity spot no one else could. That's what I was referencing.  You seem to know everything about all weight classes in the state so apparently the 215 pounder I was referring to somehow DID slip past you. After his freshman year he only made it to regionals.  After his sophomore year he made it to semistate and after his junior year he made it to state.  I'm not asking for special treatnment of the lighter guys, just don't put them at a disadvantage by jacking the weights around.  Your son had a great record for a freshman at 215.  You should be proud.  You should, however, probably stop attacking me and my my kids with your screw-ball accusations.  No tears here and if Cody Phillips can make it back to 103, more power to him.  Have some class.

Well it would seem i only mentioned the two weight classes you threw your 2 cents in on! So you never said they wanted to do this to stop underclassmen from lettering? LOL! calling people screwball really shows who has the class here i think!! I by no means attacked your kids, in fact I would be more than willing to bet that the parents & coaches spend way more time complaining about it than the kids! Have a great Day Sir! Also, great for your 215, that is a great path & i didn't intend it as a slam on him, but I think you would have to agree if you were to give a true answer that it might be that this Sectional could've been thin at this weight if he didnt get through Regionals after winning Sectional,many 103 underclassmen make it out of semistate not just win sectional was my point, also saying a weight might be weak in one sectional is by no means a slam on the kid wrestling in it!!!  So your willing to say less forfeits isnt good for the Sport I guess??? Think you got the screwball mixed up here!

You have difficulty comprehending what you read. I didn't call you a screw-ball.  I called your accusations screw-ball.  Also, read closely again, I never said YOU were claiming the weights were being increased to keep underclassmen from lettering.  I stated others on this site before used that as a reason so LOL back at ya'!  Also, once again, read closely, I believe I stated that reducing ffts was a positive argument for increasing the 103 lb wt class.  Also, I would call it attacking me and my kid when you state "hope it works out for ya and little johny can get his 7 wins & 13 forfeits."  Pretty bush league on your part. 

Here are some interesting statistics with regards to forfeits in each weight class across the 2009-10 IHSAA state tournament.

309 total schools entered into State Tournament

Weight    # forfeits    % of weight class

103                85                  28%

112                71                    23%

119                49                    16%

125                55                    18%

130                42                    14%

135                29                      9.4%

140                27                      8.74%

145                24                      7.77%

152                36                    11.7%

160                32                    10.4%

171                27                        8.7%

189                35                      11%

215                38                      12%

285                45                      15%

I think what is interesting is that obviously 103 would have the most forfeits with 85 (28%). However, 112 had almost as many at 71 (23%), 125 was third with 55 (18%), and 119 had 49 (16%). I am not advocating for or against a weight change as I am not sure a small adjustment to weights will have much of a change anyways. Just wanted to throw some numbers out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say that our team's 103 lb-er last year weighed 98 pounds wet.  He had many local/season successes but faced reality when we went to conference, sectionals...He actually wrestled some seniors at that weight class and that was a real eye-opener for me as my son wrestled 140 as a freshman and very rarely wrestled anyone his age or in his class, typically they were juniors or seniors (my point on this comment is two-fold, one being that I thought the average weight of a freshman should have been what my son weighed as that was my reference point and two is that I found it hard to believe that a senior could weigh 103!  Both are my opinions, no facts to back anything up it was just my observation).

Jocking weights could be good however aren't sports the best "life-lesson" out there?  Who hasn't had a 25 year old grad-student who has never held a job, or paid their own college tuition get employed at their company with no OJT or experience?  In my 15 years in the corporate world, those people don't last as they have no work ethic or understanding of what it means to work your butt off and suck it up to be the best you can be.  Those people have a sense of entitlement and few of them, in my experience were athletes.  This point is directed to anyone thinking the weight classes aren't fair.  Life isn't fair, and changing the rules doesn't make a wrestler better.  Work ethic pays off.  If you are the small one, work harder.  If you are in the mid-weights, work harder, heavyweight, same advice...it just doesn't matter as long as the wrestler is doing everything within their power to improve themselves.  So to the writer with the two small wrestlers, what they are going through has to pay off.  It might not be immediate, but it will eventually and it may not be on the mat.

And in regards to high school letters...if they are not regulated by IHSAA they just don't matter (in any sport).  Until that happens they mean nothing.

Just my two-cents.

I was looking at those numbers grappler119 throwed out there and thought that even if all those were from sectionals, thats less than 3 forfeits per sectional on average. Really doesn't seem like alot to me...not enough to justify a change!

ff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.