The lack of being able to fill our Indiana National Teams??

DemOGuy

I believe the cost to go to these Tour. is what is killing Indiana Wrestling, 1000$ here 1000$ the next week end. Maybe the kids that gualify for these events should be able to contact sponcers, do fundraisers or whatever. Maybe ISWA should help theses kids out more so we can fill theses Teams with the best wrestlers! Disneys coming, Fargo, Camps The coaches want the kids to go but its tough.      Excpecially when you just lost your job.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i get sponsers every year, my family and i rarely pay a large sum of money

Ya we try to but its alot for parents to go, admissions, it all gets very expensive I know its part of it. And the best of luck during the summer!!

I really don't think the the mighty dollar is the only real factor with the top guys at the weight class.  But if the guys value the individual national trip as being the most important then I'm sure the combined expences does wiegh heavy on some families.  If the individuals or the duals were in Indiana or very close I'm sure we would get more guys involved because the cost of both trips and travel of families would be way less of a factor.  I do see cost being more of a factor as you go down the depth chart though.  I'm sure many wrestlers/parents have put some thought o if its worth the money with the potential of getting thrown around all weekend by top national guys (since they had previously just lost to Indiana's top guys).   Sure its an experience to wrestle at the level but its may not be much of one for some.    Sure money shouldn't be a issue and the organizers of the trip try their best not to make it one.  But until someone can figure out a viable option its going to effect our team when it comes the top guys participating in both or the next teir down guys who don't know if the experience if worth the cost.  I hope we are able to put a team together reguardless of the level all the members are at.  These kids deserve a chance to go and at least try and compete rather than forfeit enough weight that they don't even have a chance at a decent team score.

I am hesitant to make this point because I know the organizers were trying to be innovative and improve Indiana's performance in national meets. They should be supported for their efforts. The new system might be good for some, but it was difficult for our family.

1. The cost is significant, especially if your family wants to attend. But it is not unreasonable given today's cost.

2. The camp concept does not allow the team to be chosen until just a few days before the trip. This makes it difficult for a family to plan with regard to both schedule and cost.

3. The state championship is important and the reward of the duals position is certainly warranted. If you win, your family can begin to plan for all of the above.

I would love for my son to go to all the big Tournys and he always qualifies, but its limited to how much he can do because of finances which is all fine but i also have two little girls a family of five spend on an average of 150$ per tour. and thats in state.

ISWA should look for a better way to help out some of these kids.

In the stone ages most parents didn't go. Worry about covering cost for the wrestler, then if the family can go, okay. If not, then stay home. It might serve the wrestler better if the family didn't go actually.

Not when a parent has coached them there whole lives. Even then it is ver costly!!

I always got sponsorships for the national tournaments.  Local tournaments for both my brother and I would have been expensive, but we learned very quickly that if we reffed we would be fed, not have entry fees and sometimes even got paid.  There are plenty of ways for a wrestler to have a inexpensive ISWA experience.

What will you do if/when junior decides to wrestle in college? 

He goes to the Tournements around the country most of the time without me, don't get me wrong he would be able to more on the Team Indiana side of things if there was some kind of grant or something if theses kids are wrestling ISWA, maybe there would have to be a qualifying process or something. I was just sayin what I think to get the best on the Teams. Ex. I love Mike Jones  but I am using him as an example he comes from not having nothing and mostly just coaches for guidence a single mother with 5 siblings this MAN would wrestle every tourney if he could. Coach Williams and Staff got Mike to Prom  and I commend your staff for that!!  Thats a class act there.

Its just my opinion, oh well.

There are plenty of ways to raise the money...booster clubs, local businesses, wrestling clubs, VFW's, American Legion's, etc... The bottom line is you have to get off your own bottom and get out and raise the money and not expect anyone else to do it for you.

A few years ago a kid came into my business and told me he was seeking donations because he made the Junior National Wrestling Team. I asked him a bunch of questions...how do you make the team, why do they have it in Fargo, etc...  The young man very politely explanied everything. Finally, I looked him right in the eye and said "Do I look remotely familiar to you?" The kid said "oops sorry Mr. Clark"

It was kind of funny and I did make a small donation because I messed with him a little.

There are plenty of ways to raise the money...booster clubs, local businesses, wrestling clubs, VFW's, American Legion's, etc... The bottom line is you have to get off your own bottom and get out and raise the money and not expect anyone else to do it for you.

A few years ago a kid came into my business and told me he was seeking donations because he made the Junior National Wrestling Team. I asked him a bunch of questions...how do you make the team, why do they have it in Fargo, etc...  The young man very politely explanied everything. Finally, I looked him right in the eye and said "Do I look remotely familiar to you?" The kid said "oops sorry Mr. Clark"

It was kind of funny and I did make a small donation because I messed with him a little.

Thanks for the input, I just think that is why #s are down a little. My son will be making the Trips I might not but he will. Thanks again

I believe Mike Jones made the trip last year to Fargo.  The costs are the same or even less than they have been in the past.  The ISWA has done a great job keeping the costs down even with rising gas costs and other expenses.  The ISWA does contribute money to help cover the costs and it decreases the amount everyone has to pay and not just one person.  I could see money being an issue if the costs have risen, but they haven't.  Quite simply, most coaches do not care about the international styles and in the end are probably hurting their kid's by not teaching them these styles.

I could see money being an issue if the costs have risen, but they haven't.

I would say that the costs has risen due to the economic downfall.  Money is an issue.  And yes, you can go out and get sponsors and donations, but you can only do that so many times and there are more and more people doing that now so the donations are less and less.  To simply say it can not be an economic issue can not be sincere.

I spent time on the phone trying to get schoolboys, cadets and juniors.  The reason for not going on the trips was money.  $1,000 here, $450 there, etc. does add up and even fundraising has some limitations.

For us it has definately been the money.  We have not been able to get donations and I have been out of work too much the past three years.  That is why we did not even participate in ISWA at all this year.  Too bad.  After being an All American two years ago, I would have loved to see what Tony could have done at Fargo this year.

How much does it cost a wrestler from Indiana to go to Fargo?  What if the wrestler does the Duals and Fargo how much does it cost him then?  Can anyone provide the info?  Thank you in advance

Tim S

Does AAU help fund world and National Tournaments for the top basketball players in the state - nation, do they have to pay 1000$ for each big game? Im just saying other sports get extra funding for the Top guy's. I average spending about 6000$ a year on tournaments for the last 10 years and I am saying that is a little bit of the problem finances.

For us it has definately been the money.  We have not been able to get donations and I have been out of work too much the past three years.  That is why we did not even participate in ISWA at all this year.  Too bad.  After being an All American two years ago, I would have loved to see what Tony could have done at Fargo this year.

See thats not right, and theres about 20 more familys in the same boat or more.

State of Wisconsin if you choose to do the Duals and go to Fargo

The Duals   = $275.00

(this includes 5 day camp, travel, hotel stay for 4 nights, food all day at the venue)

Gear package $195.00 (have to buy)

Fargo = 1 style ($100.00)  2 styles ($150.00)

(this includes another 5 day camp, travel, and 7 nights in hotel )

If you do not go to the duals you still need to spend the money on the gear package if you go to fargo

Total cost for a wrestler that does it all  $620.00

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.