Football & wrestling

jchas

There seems to be a push lately that you can't play football and win a state title

in wrestling.  Can anyone tell me the guys over the last 5 years or so that

placed 1st or 2nd in the state and played football?

A large number of them played and several were also sucessful.  If you do a search on the message board you will see a few threads about athletes who wrestled and also did well in football or other sports.

Michael Duckworth from Union County set school records in rushing and all-purpose yards both in a season and in a career also had the teams best QB rating this year and he was the running back.Was the very first wrestler in school history to wrestle in 3 consecutive state championship matches a state champion and a 2x runner-up

Jeremy VanAlstyne, Center Grove

2002 Heavyweight State Champ/1st Team All-State Football

Played football at Michigan U.

Dexter Larimore, Merrillville

2006 Heavyweight State Champ/1st Team All-State Football

NHSCA National Champion

Plays football at Ohio State

From this year's state finalist

Played football

Danny Bradley

Zack Corpe

Tyler Willis

Michael Duckworth

Braden Atwood

Christian Lentz

James Travis

Frankie Porras

Nate Cleveland

Did not play football

Paul Petrov

Ethan Raley

Devon Jackson

Mason Berryman

Justin Beck(I believe he played as a freshman and sophomore)

Brandon Wright

Jason Tsirtsis

Paul Beck(Soccer maybe)

Cody Phillips

Kyle Ayersman

Brandon Nelsen

Brock Norton

Eric Roach

Sammy Bennett

Sean McMurray

Drake Stein

Michael Johnson-Jones(Maybe played soccer)

Ross Janney

Not sure

Chad Welch(or whichever one is at 145)

Two out of 14 state champs played football this year and nine out of the 28 finalists played football.  Yes it can happen, but the statistics show that you are more likely to win a state championship by not playing a fall sport.

Although you might be correct in that statement Y2 I think it we need to look at whom would be more likely to play football. I say most wrestlers and, in that case, most students under 150 Lbs aren't going to go out for football anyway therefore skewing your analysis. I think you can only compare the weights that are more likly to go out for football across the board.

ff

Although you might be correct in that statement Y2 I think it we need to look at whom would be more likely to play football. I say most wrestlers and, in that case, most students under 150 Lbs aren't going to go out for football anyway therefore skewing your analysis. I think you can only compare the weights that are more likly to go out for football across the board.

ff

145lbers are linemen at Madison!

ff

Of our 14 starters last year the only one that did not play football was our 135lber(at the end of the season).  Yes our 103, 112, 119, 125 and 130 were all football players and our 125 and 130 were starters on the varsity team.

I would say that a lot of the bigger guys are playing both and doing well in both.  I just wounder how many of the guys

that are below 145 can compete at the State level and play football. 

This an issue that has bugged me for a long time. At my kid's h.s. (5A in football), the football coach kind of rules the roost.  He owns the offseason workouts of the football players and if those guys aren't going to every, and I mean EVERY, offseason workout program offered, they are pretty much blacklisted and it's very difficult for a kid to make the strating lineup.  I find this complete and utter nonsense.  Football has become the altar that h.s. athletes worship at and the big school coaches don't hesitate to throw their weight around in this regard.  It really hacks me off because a number of guys that were very good middle school wrestlers completely gave up the sport once h.s. started.  Now I understand that a number of them would have quit any way but I believe that if the football coach just stayed neutral on guys playing other sports (allowed for them to go to other summer workouts without being blacklisted) a few would have had very nice wrestling careers.  IMO, it's very short sighted to believe that a kid can only excel if they are involved in workouts stricltly geared towards improving football skills.  Most of the best athletes cross train in the offseason.  I read where Steve Nash of the NBA plays a lot of soccer in the offseason.  The final zinger is that my kid's h.s. school isn't even that good in football.  They didn't sniff making the finals during the 4 years my son was there.

This an issue that has bugged me for a long time. At my kid's h.s. (5A in football), the football coach kind of rules the roost.  He owns the offseason workouts of the football players and if those guys aren't going to every, and I mean EVERY, offseason workout program offered, they are pretty much blacklisted and it's very difficult for a kid to make the strating lineup.  I find this complete and utter nonsense.  Football has become the altar that h.s. athletes worship at and the big school coaches don't hesitate to throw their weight around in this regard.  It really hacks me off because a number of guys that were very good middle school wrestlers completely gave up the sport once h.s. started.  Now I understand that a number of them would have quit any way but I believe that if the football coach just stayed neutral on guys playing other sports (allowed for them to go to other summer workouts without being blacklisted) a few would have had very nice wrestling careers.  IMO, it's very short sighted to believe that a kid can only excel if they are involved in workouts strictly geared towards improving football skills.  Most of the best athletes cross train in the offseason.  I read where Steve Nash of the NBA plays a lot of soccer in the off season.  The final zinger is that my kid's h.s. school isn't even that good in football.  They didn't sniff making the finals during the 4 years my son was there.

For me this post was more about the wrestling side.  Weather a wrestler could play football and keep his wrestling skills

up enough to compete at the state level.

As far as football coaches blackballing kids.  I believe that is few and far between.  With football you have to put your

best players on the field no matter what.  If you don't you are going to lose.  You will also find that most of your football coaches love wrestlers.  You just need to go to both of the coaches and work out a schedule that satisfies both.

At bigger schools they can blackball kids because for every one that is starting they have two or three of equal talent waiting to step up.  If it is an elite kid then the team would suffer, but in most cases at schools that are bigger they have the depth that will cover one kid or a handful of kids not "buying into the system."

At bigger schools they can blackball kids because for every one that is starting they have two or three of equal talent waiting to step up.  If it is an elite kid then the team would suffer, but in most cases at schools that are bigger they have the depth that will cover one kid or a handful of kids not "buying into the system."

We must have it good at Hamilton Southeastern.  I know that the football players and the wrestlers are doing the off season weights and conditioning together. 

We must have it good at Hamilton Southeastern.  I know that the football players and the wrestlers are doing the off season weights and conditioning together. 

That's good to hear. Will the HSE football coach be happy to let his wrestlers/football players go to a team wrestling camp when it happens the same week as the IU h.s football team camp?  I don't know the answer.  I just know my kid's h.s. would never allow that to happen without reprucussions for the athlete. 

That's good to hear. Will the HSE football coach be happy to let his wrestlers/football players go to a team wrestling camp when it happens the same week as the IU h.s football team camp?  I don't know the answer.  I just know my kid's h.s. would never allow that to happen without reprucussions for the athlete. 

You need to have your coach come to 1 wrestling practice and go live for 6 minutes.  He would

more than likely change his mind about that!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.