Nebraska to the Big 10????

cbarnett

according to what I read last night Nebraska, Mizz, and Texas were interested in moving to the big ten. Texas  is more likley to go to the Pac-10 though. though Iowa state would help the big 10 in wrestling the big ten is thinking about football. I'd like Iowa st coming in and it could start a conference rilvalry with Iowa. The thing is I haven't read any reports on Iowa trying to move to the big ten. from what I read if the big 12 splits 6 teams are going to the pac 10 neb is going to big ten with maybe mizz and the rest are moving to either mountain west or conf. USA wich are none wrestling confrences... if both mizz and neb come the big ten would still have uneven teams so it's hard telling. most reports I've read though said that if Notre Dame was to except going to the Big ten that would end neb coming... I dout that will happen though I'd like to see Notre Dame restart a wrestling program.

most reports I've read though said that if Notre Dame was to except going to the Big ten that would end neb coming... I dout that will happen though I'd like to see Notre Dame restart a wrestling program.

When all this shakes out, wouldn't it be funny if ND continues their arrogant independant stance and ends up getting  screwed by waiting too long and not be able to hook in with one of the power conferences?

When all this shakes out, wouldn't it be funny if ND continues their arrogant independant stance and ends up getting  screwed by waiting too long and not be able to hook in with one of the power conferences?

ND is too valuable to get left out of the mix.  There's no way it will happen.  If there ends up being four 16-team conferences, ND will have no chance but to join the Big 10.

I really wish the Big 12 would have stayed intact, but I think Nebraska to the Big 10 makes sense.  The Big 10 is going to be even tougher in wrestling and football. 

12 teams isn't that bad of size of a compatative conference where all the teams regularly see each other.  However, Midwest wise if they expand further, I'd like to see two more team added between Missouri, Iowa State, and ND.  That would make the Big Ten a 14 team two division conference.  I think anything larger than 14 is just to big in football terms.  To me it would be hard to make a schedule which included enough of the teams from opposite divisions playing each other on  regular basis to be worth having a 16 team divsion.

Does the Big 10 require every school to participate in every varsity sport the BT supports? Would that mean if ND joined the Big 10  they would have to start a wrestling program or any sport for that matter the BT requires?

Does the Big 10 require every school to participate in every varsity sport the BT supports? Would that mean if ND joined the Big 10  they would have to start a wrestling program or any sport for that matter the BT requires?

HN Vikes, at this point in time the Big Ten does not require members to have wrestling..... here is how the sports are broken down currently....

Men's Sports (Teams not fielding sport listed in parenthesis)

Baseball: 10 (Wisconsin)

Basketball: 11

Cross Country: 10 (Northwestern)

Football: 11

Golf: 11

Gymnastics: 6 (Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Indiana, Northwestern)

Soccer: 7 (Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois)

Swimming & Diving: 10 (Illinois)

Tennis: 11

Track & Field - Outdoor: 10 (Northwestern)

Track & Field - Indoor: 10 (Northwestern)

Wrestling: 11

Non-sanctioned (Participating schools listed)

Men' Ice Hockey: 5

WCHA (Wisconsin, Minnesota)

CCHA (Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan)

Men's Volleyball: 2

MIVA (Ohio State)

EIVA (Penn State)

Women's Sports

Basketball: 11

Cross Country: 11

Field Hockey: 7 (Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Purdue)

Golf: 11

Gymnastics: 7 (Northwestern, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana)

Rowing: 7 (Illinois, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue)

Soccer: 11

Softball: 11

Swimming & Diving: 11

Tennis: 11

Track & Field - Outdoor: 10 (Northwestern)

Track & Field - Indoor: 10 (Northwestern)

Volleyball: 11

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.