Local Wrestlers selected to wrestle in Mongolia this August

Wrestlers, coach selected to wrestle in Mongolia in August

By Greg Mengelt ? The News and Tribune ? Sunday May 23, 2010

greg.mengelt@newsandtribune.com

As the Jeffersonville wrestling program has grown in stature, its continued development has come with rewards. Three Jeff wrestlers ? along with coach Danny Struck ? have been selected by the Indiana State Wrestling Association to participate in a wrestling tournament in Mongolia this summer. Junior Jacob Everett, sophomore Jordan Schremp, and River Valley eighth grader Brandon Spangler will accompany Struck to Darkhan, Mongolia from Aug. 1-12. ?I have coached or wrestled now in Poland, Japan, Australia, Mexico and Turkey, and sent kids to Alaska, Scotland and more than 30 states, but this is going to be the biggest adventure of the them all,? Struck said. Schremp is a three-time folkstyle wrestling state champion in Kentucky, and Spangler was the most valuable wrestler on his River Valley squad and is a member of the middle school national team in Greco-Roman and Freestyle wrestling. ?These kids were not selected only by their wrestling ability,? Struck said, ?But also by their sportsmanship and ability to represent Jeffersonville and Indiana to the world. I believe that it?s important that we teach our wrestlers, athletes and students that the world is our home and we must learn to live in it together. That is why I find wrestling so special, it is one sport that ever country has. We can use that as our international language. I tell the kids that we will ?see the world through wrestling.?? While it will be the trip of a lifetime for the Jeff wrestlers, it has come with a price tag. Everett, Schremp, Spangler and Struck will be responsible for raising nearly $3,000. Struck said it will be worth it ? and much more. ?I have taken or sent kids to seven different countries now, and I am positive this trip will be the most unique,? said Struck, who is also a history teacher. ?We will be going to the roots of wrestling, and culture, as it?s tough people still live much today the way Genghis Khan did 900 years ago. I have told the kids that while they may want to come home badly (by the end of it), this will be the best experience of their lives and will be an adventure story they will tell forever.?

Any other wrestlers with intereste in attending this please contact ewojdyla@hotmail.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.