Central Regionals Question

It's my understanding that by placing in the top 2 or 3 of the Central Regionals for Cadet or Juniors that a wrestler can earn a spot to Fargo.  This adds to the team that Indiana can bring.  If this is the the case, why do guys that have placed in the top 2 at state (Indiana) for Greco or FS wrestle at this tournament?  It seems that if they place in the top 2 or 3 they are possibly taking a spot from a guy that needs this tournamnet to qualify for Fargo.  I understand that kids from the region come to this tourney and I see on Track that a lot of guys from IL, OH and MI are here so it's no guarantee a kid who didn't place in the top two at our state tournament will qualify.  However, it seems like a no brainer that if our best aren't competing at this tournament that it could open spots for others from our state.  Just a question.  I'm not ragging on the kids who did wrestle that placed in the top 2 spots at state, it just seems like more of a strategy issue.

Indiana has an allotment of 45 Junior wrestlers per style and 51 wrestlers per style with no more than four entries per weight class in Fargo.  If a kid qualifies at any regional, FILA Cadets or FILA Juniors, they do not count for that allotment the state has.  This will then open up more spots for Fargo that kids that did not place in the top 3 at state can petition to go in.  Someone said one year Ohio had like eight kids in one weight class because they had a bunch of kids hit up the regionals across the country to qualify for Fargo.  One other advantage to qualifying for Fargo at a regional is you are allowed to wrestle any weight you choose.  In Indiana you qualify for Fargo at the weight you wrestle at state, but have to petition to move weight classes for Fargo.

So basically those wrestlers that qualified for Fargo at the regional have opened up spots for kids that were outside the top three at state.

Indiana has an allotment of 45 Junior wrestlers per style and 51 wrestlers per style with no more than four entries per weight class in Fargo.  If a kid qualifies at any regional, FILA Cadets or FILA Juniors, they do not count for that allotment the state has.  This will then open up more spots for Fargo that kids that did not place in the top 3 at state can petition to go in.  Someone said one year Ohio had like eight kids in one weight class because they had a bunch of kids hit up the regionals across the country to qualify for Fargo.  One other advantage to qualifying for Fargo at a regional is you are allowed to wrestle any weight you choose.  In Indiana you qualify for Fargo at the weight you wrestle at state, but have to petition to move weight classes for Fargo.

So basically those wrestlers that qualified for Fargo at the regional have opened up spots for kids that were outside the top three at state.

So what you're saying is that it doesn't matter who places in the regional as long as its a kid from a particular staete, then the state can choose whoever they want to fill that slot?  I'm confused.  Wrestler A wins FS state.  Goes to Regionals, wins it as well.  B/c he qualified at regionals, he can now move around in weight, I get that.  However, he's qualified at 2 tournaments.  Does the state team pick a kid of their choice to fill one of the slots he won and won't be using?  If that's the case, what's the criteria for being chosen.  I'd guess he'd have to have competed at FS state or at regionals.  Sorry I'm slow on the uptake tonight and most nights!

No it only qualifies the specific wrestler for Fargo and no one else.  The state can choose whoever they want to fill the original state allotment with someone else that has not qualified through a regional qualifier.

I will use Sean Mappes as an example.  He won freestyle state at 160lbs and placed 3rd at Central Regional in freestyle.  If he and only him, decides to go to Fargo, he will go based off his regional qualification and therefore open up one of the 3/4 spots at 160lbs he originally had from freestyle state.  Therefore Indiana could potentially take five wrestlers at 160lbs, Mappes and four others. 

As far as choosing a person for the spot, the team leader will go down the list of placers or others can petition to go to Fargo.  If a person did not participate at state their petition will usually be accompanied by a reason why they did not participate.  The team leader will look at past performances at state and nationally and if the wrestler tried to qualify at state or a regional qualifier.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.