The Best Wrestler in the History of YOUR school

Portage - Leroy Vega

Chesterton - Keith Davison

Lake Central - Mike Escobedo or Vince Sessa

How about Merrillville?  There are quite a few that i would consider..

I think a strong argument could be made for picking  Sean McMurray-Portgage.    I would go with Dexter Larimore-Merrillville

South Bend Riley Greats

Jon Galloway- 3x state champ (64, 65, 66)

Matt Wills- 4th, 1st (90, 91)

Matt Nowak- 7th, 1st (94, 95)

Mike Markham- 5th, 6th (02,03)

George Malone-1st, 3rd (07, 08)

Trace Hall- 4th, 4th, 5th (07, 08, 09)

THE Clinton Prairie Gophers... 8)

I was the first SQ, but the best from there has to be...

1988 grad  Ty Baker, 3rd @ 185, and 2nd at 189...lost in the finals after having to reduce his dislocated shoulder during the match. 

Went on to wrestle for Indiana University.

Sean, how does your high school state tournament resume compare to Leroy's?

Vega - 3x placer 3,1,1

Me - 4x Placer 7,1,1,1

But Vega won a double title his senior year i think... He ended up with a few national titles..

Bobby Johnson......Wes Del High School

Toss up at Frankton between the two Brothers....Courtney Duncan & Ryan Quear..........RED ALERT!!

Lawrence North

1 - Reece Humphrey: IHSAA State Finals Qual, 1st, 1st, 1st; Junior National Freestyle Runner-Up; 2X Div 1 NCAA All-American

2- Cashe' Quiroga: IHSAA State Finals Qual, 2nd, 1st, 3rd; Junior National Freestyle Champion, Div 1 NCAA All-American (at least once)

T3-Brandon Ingalls: IHSAA State Finals 1st, 5th, 1st

T3-Brad Stephens: IHSAA State Finals 4th, 1st, 1st

4- Case Hooper: IHSAA State Finals Qual, 1st, 1st

5 - Brandon Nelsen: IHSAA State Finals 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, only 4X state placewinner in LN history, Junior National Freestyle All-American

I'm not sure if Ingalls, Stephens, or Hooper had any success on the National level. If not, I'd put Nelsen above them.

Lawrence North

1 - Reece Humphrey: IHSAA State Finals Qual, 1st, 1st, 1st; Junior National Freestyle Runner-Up; 2X Div 1 NCAA All-American

2- Cashe' Quiroga: IHSAA State Finals Qual, 2nd, 1st, 3rd; Junior National Freestyle Champion, Div 1 NCAA All-American (at least once)

T3-Brandon Ingalls: IHSAA State Finals 1st, 5th, 1st

T3-Brad Stephens: IHSAA State Finals 4th, 1st, 1st

4- Case Hooper: IHSAA State Finals Qual, 1st, 1st

5 - Brandon Nelsen: IHSAA State Finals 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, only 4X state placewinner in LN history, Junior National Freestyle All-American

I'm not sure if Ingalls, Stephens, or Hooper had any success on the National level. If not, I'd put Nelsen above them.

I'm pretty sure that Hooper was runner up at Sr. Nationals in '93.  Ingalls was dominate his senior year, nobody really came close to him that I can recall.  Just from seeing these guys, I'd put Humphrey at #1, Ingalls and #2 and Hooper #3, with Quiroga #4.  this is based strictly off of HS results.

David Palmer was a freshman state runner-up for Muncie Southside (only loss of the year was in the finals). State Champ undefeated as a sophmore for Muncie South, then Junior and Senior undefeated State Champ for Delta. Yes, John Ginther was a monster. Delta has had many that could qualify as best including Trent McCormick, now coaching Yorktown. I would not overlook Craig Campbell 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 1985 State Champ. David Locke was a State Champ and a World Champ at the Cadet level also. Delta was truly statcked in the early to mid 80's.

Whiteland Community High School- Has had some standouts in recent history, the ones that stands out the most would be.

Jason Fryar - State Champ

Chris Cooper- SQ, State Champ (beat Bedoy and Dolly that year)

Clint Palmore - 6th, State Champ (Beat Macke in the finals)

Matt Fields - 8th, 5th, State Champ (Beat Taylor March in the finals)

They have had other placers and qualifiers, but these have to be at the top of the list. 

Pike High School

DeMarcus Spencer 3x state qualifier and State Runner Up

Deon Brimmage finished 3rd in 93 and 4th in 94 (my vote for best overall)

Donnie Hale finished State Runner Up in 96

Pete Peterson finished State Runner UP in 97

There was a state champ in the 80s but I cant think of his name.  TAE can you help out?

Whiteland Community High School- Has had some standouts in recent history, the ones that stands out the most would be.

Jason Fryar - State Champ

Chris Cooper- SQ, State Champ (beat Bedoy and Dolly that year)

Clint Palmore - 6th, State Champ (Beat Macke in the finals)

Matt Fields - 8th, 5th, State Champ (Beat Taylor March in the finals)

They have had other placers and qualifiers, but these have to be at the top of the list. 

Palmore beat Coughlin in the finals, not Macke.

Pike High School

There was a state champ in the 80s but I cant think of his name.  TAE can you help out?

Was there an O'Brien from Pike that won it?

Pike High School

Chris Davis 112 lb. Champ 1980

Franklin Community - Bryce Hasseman or Aaron Clark

Indian Creek - Ethan Raley

Turkey Run - Ryan Pribble

Center Grove - Jay Yates or Joey Strausburg or Jeremy Van Alstyne

For Center Grove, you have to include the Gaskin brothers, Tom and Ron, from back in the 70's.

Center Grove

Ron Gaskins would be the unquestioned #1 as he placed 3rd, 1st, and 1st.  After him you could debate quite a bit.

Brandon Yates (6th, 4th)

Joey Strausburg (4th, 3rd, 2nd)

Jay Yates (SQ, 5th, 2nd)

John Baxter (3rd, 2nd)

Jeremy VanAlstyne (SQ, 1st)

Tanner Yates (4th, 5th)

Shelby Mappes (SQ, 3rd)

Matt Milton (6th, 6th)

Thanks jlittlejohn.  I couldnt think of his name.

sb25, Obrien finished 3rd I think.

I would still vote Brimmage.  He wrestled against a great 171 lb class his junior and senior year.  Gill Journey (2nd, 2nd, 3rd), Will Hill (state champ 95), Dan Pleak (state champ 94), James Brimm (4th, 3rd, 189 state champ 95), Robert Miller (state champ 93).  I know Brimmage beat Hill, Brimm and Miller during those years.  Im pretty sure he beat Pleak and maybe Journey. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.