The Best Wrestler in the History of YOUR school

Perry Meridian-Here is a sample.  Nate Moore, 2x state champ, 5 x All American in Fargo including a ruuner up and a Jr national championship.  Nick Walpole, qualifier, 3rd, state champ and 3rd(lost to some guy named Howe in OT).  Chico Adams-8th, 2x champ,  Shaun Richardson-champ(in South Carolina), runner up in Indiana to  Greg Shaeffer), Gil Journey-2x runner up and a third, Frank Hammond-champ and runner up.  Top 5 in wins-Nick Walpole, Eric Aue, Jacob Tonte, Nate Moore adn Brian Vest.  Top five in falls-Jacob Tonte, Nick Walpole, Brian Vest, Nate Moore, Chico Adams.  This could be another post on list of stat leaders.  Just for fun.  New Castle will have all the wins.  Sexy Rexy has had them going for a long time. 

I guess this list is just a list of the best individual accomplishments by a wrestler at your school, in the IHSAA tournament series.  Hopefully, that make sense.  It looks like Chico's 2 titles with the 8th place finish trumps Nate Moore's 2 titles.

Fishers has only been around for 4 years, but according to your criteria, for now we have...

#1 Mitch Sliga - 3rd at state in 2010

#2 Brad Farrell - 5th at state in 2009 (1st in career wins)

#3 Patrick Lux - SQ in 2009 (2nd in career wins)

Many people don't know this but Nate Moore was winning the semi state his sophomore year and was cruising to a title.  He had given the returning state champ a good match a few days before in the team semi state.  I really think he would have been under the lights the next week but late in the match he went off the mat(at Roberts Stadium in Evans) and on the the concrete and somehow tore all his ligaments in his upper ankle area.  He had to inj def the match and could not go to state the next weekend.

Many people don't know this but Nate Moore was winning the semi state his sophomore year and was cruising to a title.  He had given the returning state champ a good match a few days before in the team semi state.  I really think he would have been under the lights the next week but late in the match he went off the mat(at Roberts Stadium in Evans) and on the the concrete and somehow tore all his ligaments in his upper ankle area.  He had to inj def the match and could not go to state the next weekend.

I have heard this story, and I agree that you can't hold it against Nate for getting injured.  He would have been a high placer as a Soph.  When you look at who his big wins were against in HS, too, I can't see how you wouldn't put him #1 for PM. 

Delphi

1. Braden Atwood 183-13 123 falls placed 4th,5th and 2nd. 1st three timer to state highest finish

2. Donovan Alderman 150-18 67 falls 364 takedowns 3rd place 1st two timer to state

3.  Tanner Lynde already a two timer . placed 5th with two years to go.....

In no certain order as it would be matter of opinion:

Yorktown

Derek Bevans SQ, 5th, 6th, 3rd, All-Time Winningest Wrestler 180 wins

Kyle Mosier SQ, 4th, 4th, 3rd All-Time pin leader (41 in one season)

Ross Janney State Champion 59-0

Dennis Lewis 2 X State Champion

Ron Baker State Champion Mumby Award winner

Rick Glaub State Champion

Jordan Dulaney second on all time wins 174, most pins, and All-Time points leader

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile, and I thought that it would be interesting to compile a list of the best wrestler to ever wrestle at specific schools.  I would like the results to be based on State Finals results.   Then if you have more than one wrestler who has achieved the best place at your school, then use your own discretion to pick the best.  

I would have a very hard time calling the wrestler with the best finish at State the best wrestler in the history of any school.  It may be so or it may be the kid who happened to put together the best run over 4 weeks.

Dave Edlund was Goshen High School's only state champion in 1978.

Some other high placers that could have won state on the right day:

Jim Hoke (4th place, lost semi-final in OT to state champ)

Schuyler Barkes (5th place, pinned runner-up earlier in season, beat state champ previous year at state)

Gerardo Quiroz (state runner-up)

Joe Piwoszkin (3rd place, lost 5-4 to state champ in back and forth match)

There are a few others that would require more explanation and excuses, so I'll leave them off the list.

Well, the wrestler with the best finish, put together the best run, when it counted the most.  Look at most of our sporting events! The number 1 seed in any tournament that doesn't finish the deal, is never the champion, never the team talked about.  Same goes for wrestling man!

For Peru, did Nic May have a better overall resume than Matt Birner?

CALUMET HIGH SCHOOL: State Champions (#1-4) & NCAA Champion #5

1.) Andy Trevino (1991) 1st-4th-SQ (127-7) USAW All-American: Cadet (4th) & Junior (7th)  / 2X NCAA Qualifier @ Indiana University

2.) Berry Handley (1984) 1st-3rd-3rd (115-12-1)

3.) Tony Smith (1984) 1st-3rd-SQ (117-10-1)

4.) Thurman Stone (1999) 1st-SQ (115-36)

5.) Chris Traicoff (1935) No High School Wrestling Team / Played Basketball in HS

3x NCAA Qualifier at Indiana University(1937-38-39) / 1938 Big 10-2nd & NCAA-3rd / 1939 Big 10 & NCAA Champion 

CALUMET HIGH SCHOOL:

5.) Chris Traicoff (1935) No High School Wrestling Team / Played Basketball in HS

3x NCAA Qualifier at Indiana University(1937-38-39) / 1938 Big 10-2nd & NCAA-3rd / 1939 Big 10 & NCAA Champion

who plays basketball anyways.... but thats pretty awesome... I guess if i didnt have a wrestling team, I would have been like Mike! lol most likely fouled out every game!

In no certain order as it would be matter of opinion:

Yorktown

Derek Bevans SQ, 5th, 6th, 3rd, All-Time Winningest Wrestler 180 wins

Kyle Mosier SQ, 4th, 4th, 3rd All-Time pin leader (41 in one season)

Ross Janney State Champion 59-0

Dennis Lewis 2 X State Champion

Ron Baker State Champion Mumby Award winner

Rick Glaub State Champion

Jordan Dulaney second on all time wins 174, most pins, and All-Time points leader

How would you rate them?  It is a high quality list.  I will give it a shot:

Lewis

Mosier

Janney

Bevans

Baker

Glaub

Dulaney  (this is a hard one because he only spent three years at Yorktown. His numbers could have been even more       

impressive, which is hard to believe)

Muncie South....

(off the top of my head...)

Tony Abbott - runner up and State Champ

Jeff Pease - 2x state place winner, great national success

Ralph Smith - 3 top 3 finishes  (lost to Randy May in finals or semifinals each year)

We have had some great wrestlers at Elkhart Memorial in the past..

Nick Corpe 8th, 1st

Nick Iannarelli 3rd, 1st

Steve Stahl 5th, 1st

Aaron Moss SQ, 1st

Dan Kratzer Sr. 1st

Chris Miller 5th, 5th, 1st

There are many more!.. But.. Chris Miller is pound for pound the best overall wrestler I have seen at Elkhart Memorial.. He had the total package of tools.. Top, Bottom, and great on his feet.. Mean and Mentally tough too!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.