Who is the Greatest Hoosier Wrestler to Never Win a State Title?

Drooke

I'll "throw" out John Boes from Princeton.  2x runner up ('89 and '90).  He gave a lot of frequent flyer miles those two years.  Lost to Keith Davison in '89 and James Starks in '90.  He threw Starks a few times in that match.  The last one, he threw him to his back, but Starks managed to reverse him straight to his back and got the pin with 1 second left in the second period.  Exciting match. 

If there had been a 215 lb class duting his school years, Damon Hummel from Rochester probably would have won at least 3 titles. 

I thought Hummel was only ay HW for 2 years and was at 189 for 2 years? 

I would say Jeff Pease from Muncie Southside.  His National qualifications are outstanding  and he had some real good success after high school.  Had a bunch of bad luck during high school.  Broken leg his senior year, illegal slam call one year.

I thought Hummel was only ay HW for 2 years and was at 189 for 2 years? 

I would say Jeff Pease from Muncie Southside.  His National qualifications are outstanding  and he had some real good success after high school.  Had a bunch of bad luck during high school.  Broken leg his senior year, illegal slam call one year.

Has there been anyone else mentioned that was a double Junior and Cadet National Champ ? If not, I'd say Pease wins this argument hands down.

I am going with my good friend Damon Hummel.  If I am not mistaken all state football- went on to play college and all state track and field.  If you read this D let me say well deserved.  And if you dont know who this is, just remember junior olympics in tennesee and hanging at BSU!

AJ:

You are right about Hummel's weight classes during his 4 years.  However, I'm sure he had a hard time making  189 and would have been at full strength at 215, had there been a 215 lb class during his high school career.

Dan Bedoy Also could be up there was a double National Champ( freestyle and Greco) and was OW in Freestyle. Lost his Jr year to a knee injury was a runner up as a senior

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Pease win both styles as a Junior and Cadet? Not trying to trash Bedoy, just advocating Pease.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.