"No show"

What do we think about the "No shows" on the podiums this weekend? I know at N 75 where a wrestler won his first state title and the Runner-up was a "No show"! that has to be disappointing when your taking pictures for memories. Am I off base here, or should we as parents demand more of our kids?

I would not really care.  People have places to go and things to do.  We had one kid from our club who left have his 3/4th match b/c his mom just had a baby Sunday morning.  Don't get me wrong, the podium is a GREAT addition to the State Tournament for the ISWA.  However, if a kid or his family have drive 3 hours back to Evansville on a Sunday night, let 'em do it as soon as possible.  Not everyone lives in or around Indy.

I agree that the podium is a great addition to the state tournaments, but my son Graham missed his call to the podium because we were watching one of his teamates wrestle and win his first state championship... I am not sure if you have ever stood matside at the fairgrounds (inside the retaining walls), but it is really hard to hear the speakers because they face to the outside... So we never heard them call his group or his name... It wasnt that we were trying to disrespect anyones moment, we simply just never heard it... I wish that we would have heard it, I would have liked to had pictures of him standing there too, but sometimes things just happen... I dont think we can fault kids or parents though... Like WaltHarris said some people have long drives and simply cant wait around for a couple hours, when they need to get back home... Or like in my case just could not hear the call... Congrats to your kid Throwforfive and that is a truely great moment, but I really dont think anyone meant any disrespect to you or your kid...

I coach one kid who was  a "No show" at the  podium for freestyle state. He placed 2nd and wanted to get his picture taken on the podium with the other boys but his family needed to head home. This was his first time wrestling at freestlyle state and I warned his parents that if he placed in the top 8 the worst part of the day would be waiting for the awards. I have been to freestlye state the every year since 1992. This year was the worst wait on the awards. My guy who got 2nd was done wrestling at 12:02. His last match was the last match for that bracket. After a hour I went to the head table to check on if he could get his award. The lady who handles checking the bracket to see if they are done or if they need a special bout had not even received the updated bracket yet. I got it to her and in sat on her table for over an hour before we were able to get his award. It was 2:07 when my wrestler got his award which is two hours and five minutes after the last match in that bracket was wrestled. That age group/weightclass was called to the awards area at 2:38. That was over two and a half hours after the last match in that bracket was wrestled. There has to be a better way to do the awards. My wrestlers dad had to drop him off at home in Lynnville Indiana before driving to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. He is in the Army and had a 474 mile drive to get back. That is over an eight hour trip.

Time was an issue aith awards during freestyle state. I will say that as the day went on the awards were ready much quicker.  I will also say that it seemed as if they worked out a lot of kinks because the awards the following day for greco were a lot faster after the last bout was wrestled than it was during freestyle state.

I like the idea of the awards podium and i really like how things seemed to be tweeked so that it would be improved.  Good job ISWA.  And keep the podium.

The podium is a great addition....As with anything that is new there are and will be adjustments as to how its handled just as was mentioned earlier and thats to be expected....We as parents,coaches and competitors need to just continue to support ISWA and all the many wonderful volunteers who work tirelessly to put on a good show for the kids.Thanks again,

Skip Walker-Sullivan Wrestling

Something the ISWA has started talking about that would help with this is to split the weights into 2 pools.  Then the top 4 from each pool would compete for 1st, 3rd, 5th, & 7th at the same time.  The pairing after that would be simple with the awards very soon after it (no calculations of who's 4th-8th).  Then there would be hardly any "no shows".

The downside to this is that Schoolboy/girl weights would need to do a true second match (~50% of the time) for qualification for the schoolboy/girl duals teams.  Also, some wrestlers will have to wait a round or two before their 7th place match.

The ISWA will continue to discuss and make adjustments/improvements to all the state tournaments.

Something the ISWA has started talking about that would help with this is to split the weights into 2 pools.  Then the top 4 from each pool would compete for 1st, 3rd, 5th, & 7th at the same time.  The pairing after that would be simple with the awards very soon after it (no calculations of who's 4th-8th).  Then there would be hardly any "no shows".

The downside to this is that Schoolboy/girl weights would need to do a true second match (~50% of the time) for qualification for the schoolboy/girl duals teams.  Also, some wrestlers will have to wait a round or two before their 7th place match.

The ISWA will continue to discuss and make adjustments/improvements to all the state tournaments.

This is the best idea I've heard yet.  I hope iswa do this.  It would help with awards plus you could split returning champs and runner-ups into the different pools to avoid that "double draw of death."

I don't that idea at all. It might be ok if there is seeding but without it, it makes the odds of a bad draw even worse.  If you get 2nd in your half, the best you can go for is 3/4. Or 3rd in your half then you get 5th or 6th.  If it is not seeded, you could get the top 4 in one half.  Just my thoughts...  Vertical pairing is a placement nightmare though in most cases past 1st and 2nd place anyway. After that, the placement just sometimes depends on who hit the first and second placers first. 

I agree. You would have to seed each weight class, and than break them into two pools. With trackwrestling, you would think that there would be a program that would rank each kid, and if there is not a profile for them, thenthe system would randomly draw them out? I would like to see this happen anyway for the state tournements. May not be possible, but it is nice to think about.

This sounds like it has some good and bad aspects.  As far as seeding and trackwrestling goes, this would be extremely difficult to do...for the kids that don't live in the middle of the state or up North, many of the sanctioned tournaments that are held in the lower part of the state aren't ran through trackwrestling, therefore the kids that attend these tourneys may not be ranked very high in trackwrestling-- though may be  high caliber wrestlers.  An example of some of these kids are the kids in the Mater Dei program, many of those kids wrestle that city circuit all year long and aren't in the trackwrestling system until you see them at State, and they are always competitive. 

One suggestion is if tournaments were required to turn in the results of their brackets to the iswa following their tournaments.  This would require much more work on both the tournament director and the iswa's part, but may help if we wish to seed the kids.  Lots to think about to say the least!!

Yes, I agree, but if they wrestled in state, then they are in trackwrestling and you have the results of how they have done in the past. The only way they wouldn't be in there is if it was their first time at State. The State results should override any of the local tournements that are in there. I know no matter what system is used everyone will not be satisfied.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.