The Top 20 Most Influential People in Indiana Wrestling Today

Drooke

I had a hard time picking 20. The question asks to select the "20 Most Influential People in Indiana Wrestling Today."

There lots of great coaches on the list and great former past contributers to the state, but have they had an impact on the state? If the poll was all-time, it would have been easy.

But when looking at today, you have to look at the Cale Hoover's, Bobby Cox's, and Louis Rossbottom's. All head figures of some pretty important state organizations.

What about officials Lou Hurrle, Jim Beeson, Jim Russell, Tom ladow, Jim Troyer the list goes on these people have put more than 35 yrs in each and some are still going without officials there is no match

What about officials Lou Hurrle, Jim Beeson, Jim Russell, Tom ladow, Jim Troyer the list goes on these people have put more than 35 yrs in each and some are still going without officials there is no match

You had 17  days to nominate them and did not bother to do so.

I am embarrassed that I didn't nominate Brian Anderson for inclusion on this list.

He has been all over Indiana wrestling, since taking over the reins at Wabash College

7 years ago. He has hosted tremendous camps and competitions, worked at RTC's all

over the state, and really been quite an ambassador for us. He has been tireless in promoting

not only Wabash but Indiana wrestling in general.

Well Folks, so far after 116 Votes this is what the top 20 looks like....at this time.

Andrew Howe 67

Ed Pendoski 62

Jim Humphrey 53

Tom Clark 50

Angel Escobedo 49

Leroy Vega 47

JD Minch 46

Jim Tonte 46

Rex Peckinpaugh 44

Joe Caprino 44

Cale Hoover 44

Mike Goebel 43

Al Smith 42

Chris Lynch 42

Lance Ellis 42

Trent McCormick 41

Reece Humphrey 40

Mike and Sharon Dowden 38

Alex Tsirtsis 32

Scott Hinkel 31

Royce Deckard 30

i would say i hate the the list I feel like we should have just changed the list to the best wrestlers over the last 5 years lets add McGill, Galka, cosgrove and MCMurray. Then add coaches of the top teams. I thought this was a list of people who were influencing indiana wrestling. I agree with some but not all 

I mentioned early in the poll to have a two groups at least

Todays Most Influential People (Still involved in the sports progression)

Most influential to the development of the Sport (No longer involved or made a major impact many years prior)

I think many don't get the due credit since their names and stories have been lost in time to more recent accomplishments.  At least having their names listed is giving them some recognition though.

i would say i hate the the list I feel like we should have just changed the list to the best wrestlers over the last 5 years lets add McGill, Galka, cosgrove and MCMurray. Then add coaches of the top teams. I thought this was a list of people who were influencing indiana wrestling. I agree with some but not all 

Ok, fair enough.  So in your opinion who should the top 20 influential people in Indiana wrestling TODAY be?  On the nomination thread I asked for people to list who they thought they were.  If you wanted a more scientific approach where and how would it be conducted?  As far as the addition of recent hs wrestlers...I truly believe they do influence the individuals wrestling in Indiana today, they have set the bar and it is up to the youth to rival or surpass it.  The Pribble nomination is valid as well (from KevUSMC...Woot Devildogs!!!!)..If I were at at a small school with little tradition I could look to his experience and success as a foundation for my dreams..... just sayin'.  Hate is a strong word....this is just for fun.

the one's that did not get put on the list in time usually are the most important to the sport at one time good people sometimes do not get noticed they are not there for the popularity

i could see setting the bar high but if thatis the qualification then Steven bradley sould make it too in 98 he was a 3x er. Then Tsirtsis should be higher the first 4x since Lance in 90 a 10 year drought. I think more refs should be added. I love the Idea of the list. But Andrew Howe is doing great but is he doing the most for Indiana high school wrestling? Tom Ark awesome pick great ref  Y2 and Rex good pick the ran and run websites promoting the sport Leroy Vega awesome pick ran a school that help make te resion better if it is about wrestlers doing well. Then the coach at overtime should be at the top help almost all of Idiana elite get to that level.   

Well Folks, so far after 116 Votes this is what the top 20 looks like....at this time.

Andrew Howe 67

Ed Pendoski 62

Jim Humphrey 53

Tom Clark 50

Angel Escobedo 49

Leroy Vega 47

JD Minch 46

Jim Tonte 46

Rex Peckinpaugh 44

Joe Caprino 44

Cale Hoover 44

Mike Goebel 43

Al Smith 42

Chris Lynch 42

Lance Ellis 42

Trent McCormick 41

Reece Humphrey 40

Alex Tsirtsis 32

Scott Hinkel 31

Royce Deckard 30

Mike and Sharon Dowden + Mike Dowden - 38 votes

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.