TOM?s National Individual High School Wrestling Rankings 2010-11

Drooke

These were just released without the Senior Class....Indiana has a #1 and several top fives..

Apr 7th, 2010 | By viratas | Category: Open Mat Originals

With NHSCA?s come and gone, another year of wrestling is behind us. In conjunction with Clinch Gear, TOM will release our All-American Team for the outgoing class in the next few weeks.

Now though, we now introduce our first rankings for the next batch of kids, sans seniors.

It should be noted that you should expect wholesale changes as kids will be moving weights early and often. The upcoming week offers a great event in Fila Cadets which take place in Ohio. You can find results and entries on http://www.trackwrestling.com

We?ll use the weight classes that kids wrestled their folkstyle season at as a starting point, and make changes as entry weights at spring and summer tournaments indicate. Honorable mention lists will be developed as ?off-season? progresses.

Expect our Top Prospect Rankings (for Juniors) in the next month, with an update shortly after Fargo.

Again, we know we are far from perfect, but we do our best to stay on top of things, there are a lot of wrestlers across the nation. If you feel we are overlooking someone or are unaware of them, please send us a bio and a RESPECTFUL note as to why they should be ranked. This does not mean we will rank them, but it will give us info to follow that wrestler. You can send info to rankings@theopenmat.com

and the rankings are after the jump .... http://news.theopenmat.com/2010/04/tom%e2%80%99s-national-individual-high-school-wrestling-rankings-2010-11/

Quick breakdown:

103 - #5 Cody Phillips

130 - #1 Jason Tsirtsis

145 - #4 Eric Roach

189 - #4 Mitch Sliga

215 - #13 Aaron Stevenson

I really expected more to be ranked, that's a bit surprising to me.

Stevenson was a surprise, has he been doing well in the offseason? Jarred Brooks (not sure what he's done since the end of the season this year), Devon Jackson, Connor Mullins, the Welch brothers, Tanner Lynde has done decent this offseason so far, and Drake Stein have potential, even if it's barely in.

If Brooks would be ranked so would Paul Petrov.

The others have had very limited national success if any.  Jackson placed 7th at Flo, meaning at best he's 7th in the nation.  Mullins, not sure of his national accolades.  Welches have had very limited national exposure with the one not placing at NHSCA nationals.  Lynde has had limited national success, again a 7th(or 8th) place finish at NHSCA, means at best he is that high.  Plus he lost to Welch.  Stein has placed nationally, but it was greco and went 0-2 last year at Fargo.

If you want to be in the top 20 you need more national success than that.  You need to be in the top four at NHSCA, Flo, USAW Folkstyle Nationals, etc.  Just placing top four in the state of Indiana means jack squat at the national level.

As far as Stevenson, that is quite a surprise since he went 2-2 at Fargo and 6-2 at the scholastic duals last year.  

Jarred Brooks (not sure what he's done since the end of the season this year).

Actually I'm interested in ANY info concerning National Events he has participated in, not just after Indiana's HS season.

The thing that has gotten him on TOM's watch list is the fact he beat TOM's 103 - #15. Jr. Ruben Navejas, Kentwood, WA and then in the finals beat WA state champ and TOM ranked 112 #14. So. Steven Hopkins. Tahoma, WA 7-1  in the tourny I mentioned above.

lil brooks has beaten some of the best in the nation. 3 time middle school all american going 20-1  at the duels. Jarred is a 3 time border wars national chmp. beating Freddie Rodriguez twice both times in the finals. finished 1st and second at winter nationals, 2007 asic folkstyle national chmp. 2007 freestyle national runner up, and 3rd at the greco nationals in 07 won Cinncinati tournament of champions in 08. didnt wrestle anymore national tournament till pre season nationals of 09 where he didnt give up an offensive point in all matches .Beat Mike Dautrive from Texas who was ranked at the time, beat Ruben Nevehas in the semi- finals and dominated Steven Hopkins in the finals7-1. brooks just won the Brute Adidas national championships in Kansa City not giving up an offensive point. dominated the finals 23-8 with 8 releases!He has never placed under 3rd .  at any national tournaments. national record to date56-4 suffering only one fall in his career to Freddie Rodriguez. Jarred has won 21 Iswa state championships in his ten years of wrestling with a career record of 783-25 from 2001 to present, give or take ten matches in the wins column. He can tell you everyone he has lost too and what the scores were! notable wins against Sam Brancale, Kevon Powell 5 times ,Freddie Twice,both Hood brothers from Kansas, Tyler Danials, Jack Hathaway, Cameron Kennedy, Colten Howell just to name a few!

• 2 months later...

Just curious as to the credentials behind those posting rankings.  Not being nasty, just curious.  Are they coaches, fans, dads, officials or statisticians?  Are comments made based on witnessing matches or reading the results?  Just seems to me that a lot of kids get overlooked based on the result of the match (which does count with a win or a loss, trust me I know being second means you lost) but not the actual match itself and who was the dominant wrestler.  Haven't we all seen the better wrestler lose for various reasons (getting caught, stalling, wrestling defensively instead of offensively or worst yet, just flat-out getting caught when you were out-scoring your opponent). It would really be nice to know what goes into the rankings each one posts and why they rank the way they do.  Maybe my question should be a new thread...Once again, just curious.

WingMan, thanks for showing interest in TOM's rankings.  The rankings are usually compiled by Willie Saylor (Head writer for The Open Mat), he is a based out of PA and heavily involved in amateur and college wrestling (you may know him by his screen name over at themat or TOM by Husker Du or the Du).  He has been taking a bit of time off lately so one of the founders of The Open Mat put together the latest rankings.... here.... http://news.theopenmat.com/2010/06/toms-national-individual-high-school-wrestling-rankings-%e2%80%93-6-30-10/

Heavy influence is given to wrestlers who have national success beyond stellar state accolades.

If you have any questions or concerns about the rankings, or even feel as though a wrestler should be on TOM's radar send a note to rankings@theopenmat.com

Thanks again WingMan, after you check out the current rankings at TOM stop on over at the forum and take a peek.  It is a bit slow currently but it is to be expected....tis the season.

783-25, since 2001, not to shabby

Looks to me his biggest win was against Freddie Rodriguez from Michigan.  Freddie pinned Cody Phillips early this year at FLO nationals.  Freddie was ranked first or second in the nation but I cant find where I seen that it now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.