The Top 20 Most Influential People in Indiana Wrestling Today

Drooke

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we were talking about "TODAY." Who are the mosy influentual people in Indiana TODAY...

Does Mac do anything for BG anymore? Mac's a legend but he's done and has been for years. Coack Morris has withdrawn too and I expect to see less of him after Duncan is gone. That's a guess, but I bet it's a good one. Bill Bane is one of the greatest men I've ever known. But these guys belong on another list. With the exception of Coach Morris, a guy who could have a HUGE Jim Humphrey-sized impact on Indiana wrestling if he could/would make the time commitment.

A lot of these guys being mentioned have had a tremendous and lasting impact on the sport, but they're hardly influencing the direction of the sport  in Indiana today.

I would also like to add the following just because their collegiate success is something many Indiana wrestlers are talking about and now aspiring too:

Angel Escobedo

Reece Humphrey

Andrew Howe

YES! Very good point.

I thought we were talking about "TODAY." Who are the mosy influentual people in Indiana TODAY...

Does Mac do anything for BG anymore? Mac's a legend but he's done and has been for years. Coack Morris has withdrawn too and I expect to see less of him after Duncan is gone. That's a guess, but I bet it's a good one. Bill Bane is one of the greatest men I've ever known. But these guys belong on another list. With the exception of Coach Morris, a guy who could have a HUGE Jim Humphrey-sized impact on Indiana wrestling if he could/would make the time commitment.

A lot of these guys being mentioned have had a tremendous and lasting impact on the sport, but they're hardly influencing the direction of the sport  in Indiana today.

I see your point about "TODAY". However, if you want to call out Bob Morris, I disagree. You say he "could have aHUGE Jim Humphrey-size impact on Indiana wrestling if he could/would make the time commitment." Hasn't he already done this?  I was on  the team that was one of the first to compete at Cadet Nationals from Indiana in 86. If I remember correctly, Bob was the man who organized the USAW events. He got the ISWA and USAW to work together. Before that, you wrestled ISWA State and a separate USAW state to make the team.

Furthermore, you mention that you speculate Bob not contributing much after this year beacause Seve Duncan is graduating. Isn't this the same thing Hump did when Reese graduated? Bob has held more offices than Jim and always coached for free whether it be at Bloomington North, Perry or BG.

Like I said, I see your point about the past, but don't call out Bob when he's done more for amatuer wrestling in Indinana than most others on the list that you failed to call out.

Coach P

Cale Hoover

Tom Clark

Coach Peck

Jim Tonte

All Team Indiana coaches Chris Lynch

Stephanie Tasseff

Angie Cooper

Renee Schoettle

Y2

Coah Hinkle & Boiler Elite

If you are going to add Stephanie Tasseff, Angie Cooper and Renee Schoettle, you should have Patt VanHorn at the top of the list.  She is very knowledgeable on the mechanics of running a smooth tournament.  She has helped clubs on the Southside of Indianpolis, Johnson County and surrounding areas.  Patt is the tournament director for ISWA and is always working on making the State tournaments run better each time.  She has introduced matside pairing to both folkstyle and freestyle local tournaments and brought same mat pairing to the ISWA State tournaments.  She isn't done yet either.  Patt should be on this list with no hesitation.

Ty Coach Peck.

I was also going to post Randy Qualitza.  I believe he was the first person to start the Indiana High School rankings in the 70's?  Also was 1 of the Group of coaches that started the whole topic of Dual meet state championships.

Carl Evans South Bend Washington- Head coach for 20 to 30 years coached numerous state champs.  By far one of the best men I have ever met in wrestling- integrity, sportsmanship and compassion for his kids.  When he retired he went down and coached the junior high for a couple of years "just to help out".

;D Larry Bergstrom- Like him or not the club seasons started with him

;D Pete Mcnamara and Phil Strater same as above.

;D  Al Smith and Rollie Hoover, biggest influece for freestyle officials and coaches in northern indiana

;D Ed Corazzi and Jim Troyer for current officials.

;D Tom Jarman current coaches

I will be updating the  list of  individuals mentioned.....the list is simply in the order they have been posted.

1. Tom Clark

2. Ed Pendoski

3. Bill Hawkins

4. Leroy Vega

5. Alex Tsirtsis

6. Rex Peckinpaugh

7. James Tanniehill

8. Jim Humphrey

9. Bob Kopnisky

10. Mike and Sharon Dowden

11. Jan and Sue Hesser

12. Dave and Jenny Errett

13. Phil Strader

14. John Smith

15. Trent McCormick

16. Jordin Humphrey

17. Royce Deckard

18. Scott Hinkel

19. J.D. Minch

20. Chauncey McDaniel

21. Coach Myers

22. John Hurrle

23. Larry Bergstrom

24. Tom Cameron

25. Dick Neal

26. Karl Deak

27. Rollie Hoover

28. Al Smith

29. Henry Wilk

30. Joe Caprino

31. Chris Lynch

32. Barry Humble

33. Tom Dolly

34. Andy Hobbs

35. Sean Bormet

36. Chuck Barnett

37. Darrick Snyder

38. Billy Thom

39. Mike Dowden

40. Louis Rosbottom

41. Jim Tonte

42. Jim Wadkins

43. Mike Goebel

44. T. Howard Jones

45. Cale Hoover

46. Danny Struck

47. Stephanie Tasseff

48. Angie Cooper

49. Renee Schoettle

50. Terry Wetherald

51. Pete McNamara

52. Bill Bane

53. Bob Morris

54. Angel Escobedo

55. Reece Humphrey

56. Andrew Howe

57. Bobby Cox

58. Bob Hasseman

59. Bryce Hasseman

60. Kevin Whitehead

61. Patt VanHorn

62. Joe and Beth Lybarger

63. Andre Scruggs

64. Don Corrigan

65. Randy Qualitiza

66. Tom Jarman

67. Carl Evans

68. Scott Wallis

69. Randy Helfrich

70. Ryan Pribble

71. Phil Strater

72. Ed Corazzi

73. Jim Troyer

Possibly once we have recorded all of the nominations we may hold a vote to narrow down the field ...... or not.  We shall see...... I like how this is going however, I'm learning alot about the individuals that contribute to the success of the sport that we love.  Keep em' coming folks.

Y2, is it feasible to have a 75+ choice poll where an individual can pick 20-25 of them? 

TWO MORE SPACES ARE OPEN FOR NOMINATIONS!!!!!!!

After attending the Scholastic Duals this past weekend. I was reminded that former Valpo Coach, John Cook is a must on the list

-coached more than 30 years

-hosted the Valpo Duals...one of the best high school tournaments ever

- Past president of the IHSWCA

-IHSWCA Hall of Fame Member

-ran the Academic All-State selection for many years

-also ran the Top 20 Team poll for the IHSWCA

-IHSWCA 'Billy Thom' Award

-served on the NFHS National Rules committee

-first organized a team of In. wrestlers to the Scholastic Duals

-and now serves as an assistant director of the National Wrestling Coaches Association,  tournament director last week at the Scholastic Duals,  he is why the tournament is in Indiana

Sinker, Excellent nomination for the last position!!!  I know that both Dingo and I were both very impressed with John Cook during the NWCA Scholastic Duals.  His ability to mult-task borderlines paranormal...it was a pleasure to meet him.

That's it folks the nominations are closed.....I will attempt to have a poll up by Wednesday night where each member can vote for 20 people that are included in the list below.

1. Tom Clark

2. Ed Pendoski

3. Bill Hawkins

4. Leroy Vega

5. Alex Tsirtsis

6. Rex Peckinpaugh

7. James Tanniehill

8. Jim Humphrey

9. Bob Kopnisky

10. Mike and Sharon Dowden

11. Jan and Sue Hesser

12. Dave and Jenny Errett

13. Phil Strader

14. John Smith

15. Trent McCormick

16. Jordin Humphrey

17. Royce Deckard

18. Scott Hinkel

19. J.D. Minch

20. Chauncey McDaniel

21. Coach Myers

22. John Hurrle

23. Larry Bergstrom

24. Tom Cameron

25. Dick Neal

26. Karl Deak

27. Rollie Hoover

28. Al Smith

29. Henry Wilk

30. Joe Caprino

31. Chris Lynch

32. Barry Humble

33. Tom Dolly

34. Andy Hobbs

35. Sean Bormet

36. Chuck Barnett

37. Darrick Snyder

38. Billy Thom

39. Mike Dowden

40. Louis Rosbottom

41. Jim Tonte

42. Jim Wadkins

43. Mike Goebel

44. T. Howard Jones

45. Cale Hoover

46. Danny Struck

47. Stephanie Tasseff

48. Angie Cooper

49. Renee Schoettle

50. Terry Wetherald

51. Pete McNamara

52. Bill Bane

53. Bob Morris

54. Angel Escobedo

55. Reece Humphrey

56. Andrew Howe

57. Bobby Cox

58. Bob Hasseman

59. Bryce Hasseman

60. Kevin Whitehead

61. Patt VanHorn

62. Joe and Beth Lybarger

63. Andre Scruggs

64. Don Corrigan

65. Randy Qualitiza

66. Tom Jarman

67. Carl Evans

68. Scott Wallis

69. Randy Helfrich

70. Ryan Pribble

71. Phil Strater

72. Ed Corazzi

73. Jim Troyer

74. Lance Ellis

75. John Cook

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.