Burnout

I look on this board at times and wonder to myself, do others fear that there child will become burned out on this sport.  I can't help to think that after time, it will come crashing down.  The sport is so demanding, I think you just become broken down. Not to mention the healthly side of having a social life, interacting with different sports.  I get the fact that you have to stay atuned to the aspects of wresling, in conditioning, flexibility, working on improving your skills.  IMO you change the course, you mix it up, to make the sport more desireable when the real  season begins. I understand you make the workouts during the spring, summer, and early fall.  But to continue such a enduring schedule in off season, seems to me that it will put a toll on you physically, but worst mentally.  I was just wondering if I am the only one who wonders about this or do others share my thoughts.

There has to be a healthy balance in the life of an elementary & middle school athlete/wrestler. You are absolutely correct, the sport is too demanding both physically and more importantly mentally.  There is a national  tournament every weekend for heavens sake! The pressure  on these youngers      garnered by success at lower levels puts unrealistic expectations by the time they reach HS.  These high placings and championships at the lower levels mean absolutely NOTHING!  Parents, wake up! They mean nothing.  Let your kid be a kid!  Participation in these never ending national tournaments means "0". As a HS coach for over 30 years,  I've seen the reverse happen as a result of this undue pressure (i.e. burnout, no intensity during inseason competition, inaccurate assessment of opponent's ability because of early results and more importantly deteriation of basic skills.

The one reason I've been involved with sport so long (43 yrs.) is because  I've had fun with it.    How do you have fun with it? you ask.  Everytime I walked into a wrestling room I learned something new.  I continure to learn. When I stop learning is when I'm done with it. He who thinks he knows it all, knows nothing!  Treat each workout as a learning experience for your athlete. This approach will sustain his passion for the sport.  As Gable once said, "if there is a  true passsion for the sport, there can be no burnout."  Even Olympic athletes take a break from the sport.  I remember the late, great Dave Schultz once spoke in an interview of the importanace of taking a break from the sport. To refresh yourself and comback with  a freshness when the season begins.

I hope this brief  rant & rave has made sense and helps you.

Sincerely, 

One old coach.

Thanks for your reply.  Like I stated, I read about stuff on here and wonder, Wow.  I am going to take a mental note here and look back and observe how some of these young athletes do in the future.  I encourage my boys to approach wrestling with a less degree in the off season, not to just totally ignore it, but scale down.  Do plenty of weight training, running, and get on the mat few times a week.  They are getting in a basketball league during the summer, fishing all the time, hanging out with friends and family.  Get away from it so you can refresh your mind and body.

I have been involved in wrestling as a wrestler in junior high & high school and as a referee today.  I can see how wrestlers can get burned out on the sport.  Usually it is because when the sport stops being fun to participate in no matter how you do.  When a wrestler starts out, usually at the elementary school age level, the sport should be fun.  Because the wrestler is learning about the sport.  Learning moves, going to meets in towns they never been to before, and developing friendships with fellow wrestlers.  All of that is the fun part of the sport.  I realize that there is a serious part of the sport.  The part of winning championships that becomes important.  When the wrestler has had a full opportunity to have fun with wrestling first that wrestler usually becomes serious about the sport and works hard to become the best he can be.  When a wrestler is pushed to take the sport seriously without the opportunity to have fun in learning about the sport first that is when a wrestler gets burned out.  Let the wrestler have the fun of learning about the sport first.  When it comes time to be serious about wrestling the wrestler will be serious then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.