Wrestlers who are serving in the US armed Forces

My oldest son, Cody Vance, who graduated last year from Elkhart Memorial and made it to the second round of FT Wayne semi state last year at 171. He joined the US Army as a CAV Scout  and is assigned to the 4/10 Cav, 4th ID. This morning he got on an airplane headed to Iraq  for a year.  This being said I was wondering what other fine young men who wrestled in Indiana have served this country in the Armed Forces.  Be proud of these fine young men and les get their names out so we can all stand up and recognize them.

Beech Grove had 3 former wrestlers injured in battle in the past year, with at least 2 earning the purple heart.

McIntyre - Severely injured in battle, had many discs in his back crushed after being electrocuted. -Marion County Champion

Damon Roessler - Head Injury, now disabled from battle. - State Qualifier

Aaron Edwards - Semi State qualifier (his father, Ralf, was a state champion in 1972) Purple Heart - was shot in the chest during battle. Is now state-side.

3 Kids, about the same age, from one fairly small school paid a large price! They are greatly appreciated and admired for their valor, as are all others mentioned. BG has had several others in battle recently, however I'm afraid if type them all out i will forget someone! Thanks to all.

-Hobbs

Sam Johsnon - former HWT at Madison is currently serving in the Army. Just finished up Basic in December.

Sam was on our Disney Dual team two years ago. He is as fine a young man as there is! Good luck to him.

Beech Grove had 3 former wrestlers injured in battle in the past year, with at least 2 earning the purple heart.

McIntyre - Severely injured in battle, had many discs in his back crushed after being electrocuted. -Marion County Champion

Damon Roessler - Head Injury, now disabled from battle. - State Qualifier

Aaron Edwards - Semi State qualifier (his father, Ralf, was a state champion in 1972) Purple Heart - was shot in the chest during battle. Is now state-side.

3 Kids, about the same age, from one fairly small school paid a large price! They are greatly appreciated and admired for their valor, as are all others mentioned. BG has had several others in battle recently, however I'm afraid if type them all out i will forget someone! Thanks to all.

-Hobbs

Nice post Nick. Off the top of my head, here are a few more Grovers:

Shildes McCaslin-state qualifier, served in Iraq-USMC

Cameron Hayes-Marion County Champ or runner-up(?)-USMC

Justin Arthur-state qualifier, currently serving in Iraq-USMC

Danny Coyne-state champion, currently serving in Afghanistan I believe-USMC

Eddie Mobley-state placer, graduating in the top 5 of his class from West Point this spring.

Jesse Witkowski is serving in the United State Air Force, he is currently over seas serving his country. Jesse was a Ft Wayne Semi State qualifier in 2009 and was a couple points, if I remember correctly, to making it to state after sitting out the first 3/4 of the season.

At Calumet

Former Coach and Lake Central Principal Sean Begley Served 2 or 3 terms in Iraq and afganistan

Bryan Reiser wrestled 1 year did a year in Iraq and ayear in Afganistan

Billy Hanson did a year in both also

Joey Frey 2x SSQ did a year in Iraq

Kevin Patrick SQ in 2002 has been stationed all over the world in the Air Force including Iraq and South Korea 

Off the top of my head Seymour wrestlers currently serving in the military (may have missed a few)

Brent Smith West Point grad serving in US Army

Patrick Smith currently attending West Point

John James serving in National Guard (I believe)

Cody Hill currently going through Naval training

Four Martinsville wrestlers from last years graduation class are in the service Briar Runyan is at West Point Prep, Jordan Krulik is at Navy Prep (kind of ironic two kids from the same team going to Arch Rival schools) T.C Frederick joined the Army just finished up basic at Fort Jackson, and Caleb Purtlebaugh is enlisting.  And can't forget Daniel Young who is at West Point too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.