Cauliflower ear

hummels

Good old Greg Warren wrestled at Mizzu and wrestled for his dad in high school.  He had several wrestling related bits if you haven't heard his comedy before. Henry Phillips (guitar) has some good comedy routines as well though not wrestling related.

Is it still soft? My son just got his worked on (again) and they did something called a sandwich...232323232%7Ffp63269%3Enu%3D565%3B%3E453%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D3278%3A47677349nu0mrj

Kinda looks like a outlet plug. My boys say " ladies like cauliflower ears"  but then again they are only 11 ,what do they know what ladies like. I keep telling them  that you can't use those ear phones you like so much with "ears" but they don't care.

Ridiculous.  It's gross.  Wrestlers should make every effort to avoid it. 

I was mostly joking.  What most people don't realize is how mad cauliflower ear actually hurts.  You wouldn't think your ears could be so sensitive.

My son is 11 and has had his cauliflower worked on.  We attempted to drain it but it continued to fill up.  I took him to  a ent facial plastic surgeon and thry put a stitch through the ear that held it open for it to drain. he has a little thickning that we can notice but noone else can. of course now he wants it back but at the time he was in a lot of pain. Deffinatelyl worth the surgery.  From a moms eye

This is a shot of the back of the sandwich shown above. They sandwiched the ear with two pieces of hard rubber and stitched them together through the ear. He has to wear it approximately three weeks, but can wrestle with it.

232323232%7Ffp63256%3Enu%3D565%3B%3E453%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D3278%3A483%3C9349nu0mrj

I don't buy the "badge of honor" thing.  I've seen some wrestlers who haven't put in the time on the mat get cauliflower ear, it just happened.  It's a little bit like a tattoo everyone can see.  Really cool when you're young but when you're sitting across the table for an important job interview, you'll probably wish you didn't have the tat or your ears didn't look like hamburger.  If you plan on a career in the UFC, by all means mangle your ears up good otherwise try to avoid it.

I don't buy the "badge of honor" thing.  I've seen some wrestlers who haven't put in the time on the mat get cauliflower ear, it just happened.  It's a little bit like a tattoo everyone can see.  Really cool when you're young but when you're sitting across the table for an important job interview, you'll probably wish you didn't have the tat or your ears didn't look like hamburger.  If you plan on a career in the UFC, by all means mangle your ears up good otherwise try to avoid it.

I agree. It's also another way we shoot ourselves in the foot when trying to promote our sport. Parents that have never been around the sport are reluctant to let their children participate in an activity that is going to deform their appearance for life.

Jimtown, I had the same procedure done (also called a button) to fix one of mine in college. It was an extremely painful procedure and not one I wish on any of my wrestlers. However, it was effective.

I agree. It's also another way we shoot ourselves in the foot when trying to promote our sport. Parents that have never been around the sport are reluctant to let their children participate in an activity that is going to deform their appearance for life.

Jimtown, I had the same procedure done (also called a button) to fix one of mine in college. It was an extremely painful procedure and not one I wish on any of my wrestlers. However, it was effective.

Yeah, I don't think he was too happy when he got it done, but if it works, that's most important. He did get a lot of stares this past weekend at folkstyle state, but not as much as the kid I saw there with the ear that looked like it was going to explode. WOW (and ouch!)!

I agree.  I personally know of many people who have commented on how nasty cauliflower ear is.  I cannot help but think that it deters some people from the sport.  Plus, I know for a fact that the ladies do not like it, for whatever that's worth.  Like I said before, wrestlers should do everything they can to try to avoid it, which basically means wear a headgear every time you step on the mat.  And coaches should never allow their wrestlers to practice without headgear.  I realize that in some cases it is just unavoidable, but if everyone wore headgear all the time I guarantee you would see less of it.  The "badge of honor" thing is just dumb.  It's like hockey players who think of having missing teeth as a badge of honor.   

We all agree that wrestlers are a  unique breed of competitors unlike any other.  We are a tight community of athletes that most people have a lot of respect for.  However, the reality still remains that although some of us  may be impressed with each others  "badges of honor",  the remaining 95% of the real world is not.  Since this other 95% percent of the population will include "potential"  employers, customers, coworkers, teachers,  ladies,  etc. ,  we would be ignorant to disregard them as unimportant or irrelevent .  The fact still remains that after wrestling, life happens.  If you want to be a construction worker or laborer the rest of your life , which is perfectly ok,  then it probably does'nt make much difference, and may even add some muchismo to your status within the circle of guys you work with.  In all other fields however (business, sales, education etc.) it won't get you ahead,  move you up the preverbial  ladder,  or earn you more money.  In fact, it may prove to be more of a permanent,  negative distraction than anything else.  Just my humble  opinion as an exwrestler, wrestlers dad,  business owner/ sales manager.

Come on you can't compare tattoos to califlower ear! I heard of discrimination based on race but ears?! Now that's a first! Yes it can't really be 100% fixed but if you catch it early n button it or sandwich it u can make it almost unnoticably. I don't think it's that bad but to say it has a negative effect on your life is insane. 

unless you are planning on giving up this great sport and or are looking at a modeling career, wear it with pride it is the display of  blood sweat and tears...GROUND AND POUND BABY.....GROUND AND POUND....

I wear  my set proud/ believe me I have been in situations where people tink twice messin wit a guy who has a some cauli/ Mom'S for sure don't like it/ but when you got it 1 time dats it/ da repairs don't work/ kinda like da worm - when you have had it its easier to get it again

There is no way any normal adult can think having deformed ears is cool...someone should do a study if IQ and cauliflower ear have any correlation

Look around people, no people in power are deformed. Wear your head gear.

There is no way any normal adult can think having deformed ears is cool...someone should do a study if IQ and cauliflower ear have any correlation

Look around people, no people in power are deformed. Wear your head gear.

Just because you have cauliflower ear makes you unintelligent?  That comment is unintelligent.

Just think how much damage Obama would have on those huge ears if he had wrestled instead of taking the easy road and played basketball.

Just because you have cauliflower ear makes you unintelligent?  That comment is unintelligent.

Just think how much damage Obama would have on those huge ears if he had wrestled instead of taking the easy road and played basketball.

LOL! I wouldn't mind a few rough collar ties with the Commander in Chief. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.