Best wrestler never to get to State...

NavyGonzo

Hunter Hughes comes to my mind.  I was always under the impression that he was in the ticket round 4 times, but never got through.  However, I've also been told that he made state his freshman year.  So I'm not sure if he qualifies for this discussion.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Cooper from Whiteland

Sophomore year got beat beat by Hasseman in the regional finals and drew Maurer in the round to go.  He beat the 3rd place finisher at state that season. Hasseman and Maurer got 1st and 2nd

Junior year lost to Orrin Klienheinz from Columbus North 6-5 in the round to go.  Orrin went to to win state and beat his finals opponent 11-5

Senior year 32-0 ranked #2 and got DQ'd the match before sectionals and couldn't wrestle.  Beat many state place winners from that year including Barnhizer who placed 3rd.

He was also a Fargo All American

Discussion over! 

Buddy Riggs from Gibson Southern - 143 career wins - only 1 behind DJ Radnovich for the most ever at GS.  He was quite a character also - loved the cowboy boots!

I think he won ISWA folkstyle state his Senior year?

Sounds like a stock car racer's name

Buddy Riggs from Gibson Southern - 143 career wins - only 1 behind DJ Radnovich for the most ever at GS.  He was quite a character also - loved the cowboy boots!

I think he won ISWA folkstyle state his Senior year?

was he around 103 112ish, i think i remember him

Buddy Riggs wrestled Dustin Bruce of Bloomington North twice in the ticket round.  Both were great matches, but Dustin pulled both of them out.  They were at 125 adn 135 I believe.    Speaking of Bloomington North, Joe Arthur is def. one to be mentioned on here as he was beat by a Jasper kid is sophomore year.  Reitz his Jr year, and then CLark of Jeff. his senior year.  His freshman year he broke his ankle/leg not sure which. 

Columbia City had a wrestler named Kris Cramer who never made it to the show.  I believe his 3 losses at semi state were to SPrunger of Bluffton who won it that year, Birner of Peru?, and then Koons of Bellmont who he beat 1-0 a few weeks earlier.

Jade McCammon would have to be one of the best to never make it. 

Buddy Riggs wrestled Dustin Bruce of Bloomington North twice in the ticket round.  Both were great matches, but Dustin pulled both of them out.  They were at 125 adn 135 I believe.    Speaking of Bloomington North, Joe Arthur is def. one to be mentioned on here as he was beat by a Jasper kid is sophomore year.  Reitz his Jr year, and then CLark of Jeff. his senior year.  His freshman year he broke his ankle/leg not sure which. 

Columbia City had a wrestler named Kris Cramer who never made it to the show.  I believe his 3 losses at semi state were to SPrunger of Bluffton who won it that year, Birner of Peru?, and then Koons of Bellmont who he beat 1-0 a few weeks earlier.

Jade McCammon would have to be one of the best to never make it. 

Blane, didn't Kris Cramer beat Joel Peter of BL at team regionals, but lose to him a few days later at individual regionals, which set up the match with Koons in the ticket round at SS? 

Blane, didn't Kris Cramer beat Joel Peter of BL at team regionals, but lose to him a few days later at individual regionals, which set up the match with Koons in the ticket round at SS? 

The funniest part about the entire thing is that I was the freshman that drew Cramer first round, I believe he was ranked in the top 5... If I somehow would've beaten him, I would've had #2 ranked Koons in the ticket round. What a draw!!!

Mike Dubes Delphi 4x semi-state qualifier

For sure! Hands down the best wrestler I've seen to not make it to state! He drew Andre Hernandez in the ticket round at M-ville one year and tossed him in the first period, that was an awesome match!

Justin Cooper from Whiteland

Sophomore year got beat beat by Hasseman in the regional finals and drew Maurer in the round to go.  He beat the 3rd place finisher at state that season. Hasseman and Maurer got 1st and 2nd

Junior year lost to Orrin Klienheinz from Columbus North 6-5 in the round to go.  Orrin went to to win state and beat his finals opponent 11-5

Senior year 32-0 ranked #2 and got DQ'd the match before sectionals and couldn't wrestle.  Beat many state place winners from that year including Barnhizer who placed 3rd.

He was also a Fargo All American

Discussion over! 

Agreed!!! not really a close second in my opinion.  He probably beat over 30 state qualifiers and 15 state place winners while in high school.  His senior year he only had 3 matches go all 3 periods, he also only gave up 1 takedown that entire season. 

In 1996:  Antoine Neal, Lawrence North.

Actually, this discussion is incomplete without considering all the outstanding wrestlers who got left by the wayside back in the day (early 1980s) when only the top TWO qualified for state, and only the top two qualified for semi-state.

I would definately say Antoine Neal from Lawrence North.  I went to a rival school so we saw our fair share of LN.  He was strong, quick, and had a low-single that was out of this world.  Also, IMO the best wrestler never to win a state title - Mac Taylor from New Castle.  Had national record for wins at 220+ - 6. He never got higher than 3rd.  Good guy as well. 

Justin Cooper is a good choice.

How about another Whiteland kid, Brandon Justice? Regional champ as a sophomore ('04) got beat in the ticket round by Michael Miller from Madison (3x placer I believe). Justice was a double Cadet All-American (Freestyle & Greco) in the summer of 2004, got beat in the ticket round that year again my Miller from Madison. Justice couldn't stay healthy in his senior season (05-06), although he beat Glasser (4th '05, 2nd '06) at the Johnson county tourny that year and Hinton (1st '07,'06, 2nd '05) a couple times in freestyle two years before that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.