Y2 and Karl's class wrestling myths

duck_and_run

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that class wrestling would bring more fans.  We might get more "homer" fans because junior qualified for small school state but we'll lose a lot of real fans who won't show up for a watered down event.

There's no evidence that class wrestling would produce more scholarship money for otherwise unrecognized wrestlers.  This money is pretty much only available for D1 schools that want to see national success at Fargo, etc.  D2 and D3 tend to be more walk on.  Assuming that college scouts would discover a kid at small school state that they would otherwise overlook at single-class semi-state is a stretch.  Scouts are savvy and know what they're looking for.  In a multi-class system, the scout's job of evaluating potential recruits is just made harder not easier because it's trickier to figure out if a kid has legit college potential or not.  Single class actually produces clarity.  To put it another way, a scout might look at a small school kid with a 25-5 regular season record and not be sure he is college material unless the kid qualifies for semi-state or state in single class.  In class wrestling this same 25-5 kid may not get any credit in a scout's eyes for qualifying for small school state.

What Indiana needs is more in-state college wrestling opportunities.  No amount of class wrestling will fix not having more open slots.

Twice as many kids twice the fan base common knowledge. And there is a lot of Indiana guys on trine calumet purdue Manchester IU so don't say more slots. Those colleges want to compete with others but still go after quality guys

I hate the argument that class basketball killed the Indiana basketball tournament.  Do you really think that Milan High School can win every year?  How many 1a and 2a programs that are not private can compete with the 4a champion?  Class Basketball saved Basketball.  If they had one class in basketball still, they would be having the same arguments for basketball right now that we are having for wrestling.

And by saved it, I mean for the athletes.  I know as fans we are being screwed over by a bunch of excitement.  But for the athletes, at least they have a shot.  If it was always about being the best of the best of the best of the best then we would have no division II, III, NAIA, or JUCO programs, everyone would have to be DI or not go at all. 

All a bunch of bs. 95% of the big schools do not compete in the current system.  Its the same 8-12 teams every single year.  All classing the sport would do is set up two levels of dominance.  One for the big class and one for the small class.  Give the Small class title to Matre Dei just like they give the titles to St Edwards and St Paris Grahm.  St Paris Grahm won 282- 81 this year.  (I am not sure how the scoring goes but they dominated.)  They have won the state title for 9 of the past 10.  Lets talk about St Edwards now.  They have won the Ohio state Division I title since 1997.  Classing does not do anything to even the field it just makes 2 levels of dominance.  Your ignorant to say otherwise. 

I hate the argument that class basketball killed the Indiana basketball tournament.   How many 1a and 2a programs that are not private can compete with the 4a champion?  Class Basketball saved Basketball.   

First, can you explain how class basketball saved Indiana basketball.

Second, has the number of Indiana basketball players recieveing scholarships increased since the inception of class basketball?

(I am not even sure where to find something like this)

Your resources argument though for small schools is starting to lose water because of the wrestling schools and training centers that are popping up all over Indiana.  These schools are balancing out the paractice partners and the trianing issues.

Huh??  There are like 3 training centers in the state.  A couple in Indy and one in the region. The resources arguement holds plenty of water.

CIA

CIA Northwest

Humphrey

Red Cobra

New one in Fort Wayne run by Talamentes (sorry I forgot name)

Add in all the RTC's across the state

Here are just some of the training centers..... looks like more than 3.  The RTC's are a huge resource.  The coaches that Y2 gets to come into his room are amazing. The wrestlers that go to LN on Thursday is unreal.

There are a lot of resources out there, so yes that argument does NOT hold water

CIA

CIA Northwest

Humphrey

Red Cobra

Here are just some of the training centers..... looks like more than 3.  The RTC's are a huge resource.  The coaches that Y2 gets to come into his room are amazing. The wrestlers that go to LN on Thursday is unreal.

There are a lot of resources out there, so yes that argument does NOT hold water

Looks like you've listed 3 viable options for academy type training.  Exactly how many I mentioned.  Two to 3 hours away for much of the state.  There is exactly 1 RTC south of Indianapolis in the entire state.  So what percentage of schools/kids have this opportunity??  Your boat is sinking. 

CIA

CIA Northwest

Humphrey

Red Cobra

Don't forget about Garrett, Yorktown, and Jeffersonville.

There is exactly 1 RTC south of Indianapolis in the entire state.  So what percentage of schools/kids have this opportunity??  

only 1 RTC in the south...wow...I guess we really dont want kids in the south to have better resources.

yes, the RTC's have been around for awhile, but the quality of some now is outstanding.  Like I mentioned, the instruction at Garrett is second to none and the wrestlers that show up at LN is amazing.  It is sad that this is not happening in the South.

Just because the South chooses not to have RTC's that does not kill my argument.  Over half of the state has viable resources because people have chosen to create those resources for the wrestlers.

Out of season training at RTC's and Academies is very important and I believe is a big reason in the rise of talent in our state.  My question is how do these help you during the season?  Yes you can have private sessions 1 on 1 with the academies, but that still doesn't fix the things that put you behind the 8-ball from 3:30-5:30.  It also makes some people have to drive 2 hours both ways.  Let's see how great we would be at our sport if we told everyone to be great you have to travel during season in a car four hours every day.  You do what you have to do to be great, but how is it fair that you have to do that while the kids at Mishawaka or Perry don't have to do that?  

To answer your question why I believe class basketball saved the tournament, I will ask you this AJ.  Do you honestly believe that a 1A or 2A school that isn't private can compete consistently with a 4A top 10 team?  

Recruiting wise it doesn't look like class basketball has hurt Indiana.  If you combine both Purdue and IU's basketball squads, 61% of them are from Indiana, while if you do the same for wrestling, only 42% of them are from Indiana.  

Out of season training at RTC's and Academies is very important and I believe is a big reason in the rise of talent in our state.  My question is how do these help you during the season?  Yes you can have private sessions 1 on 1 with the academies, but that still doesn't fix the things that put you behind the 8-ball from 3:30-5:30.  It also makes some people have to drive 2 hours both ways.  Let's see how great we would be at our sport if we told everyone to be great you have to travel during season in a car four hours every day.  You do what you have to do to be great, but how is it fair that you have to do that while the kids at Mishawaka or Perry don't have to do that? 

To answer your question why I believe class basketball saved the tournament, I will ask you this AJ.  Do you honestly believe that a 1A or 2A school that isn't private can compete consistently with a 4A top 10 team? 

Recruiting wise it doesn't look like class basketball has hurt Indiana.  If you combine both Purdue and IU's basketball squads, 61% of them are from Indiana, while if you do the same for wrestling, only 42% of them are from Indiana. 

It is pretty hard for my kids that are in baseball, track or golf to hit up RTCs more than a half hour away.  That means 10 of the starters from this year's team would be out a very good training opportunity if it weren't for us hosting one.

It is pretty hard for my kids that are in baseball, track or golf to hit up RTCs more than a half hour away.  That means 10 of the starters from this year's team would be out a very good training opportunity if it weren't for us hosting one.

You were able to create a solution to an existing problem.  I commend you and I commend your RTC. I have already commented on it muliple times so you know how I feel about it.

For the record, I think it is a positive for these young men to be participating in muliple sports while in high school.

You were able to create a solution to an existing problem.  I commend you and I commend your RTC. I have already commented on it muliple times so you know how I feel about it.

For the record, I think it is a positive for these young men to be participating in muliple sports while in high school.

Not every small school can host an RTC.  Many small school coaches coach a spring sport also, so their time to run a club or RTC is virtually non-existent.  These certainly do not solve the problem if you are a spring athlete.  I will not see many of my baseball players once their season officially starts, so even having an RTC in their own backyard does not make them better wrestlers when they are on the baseball diamond in the spring.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.