Reasons for a class system for team state

youngone

Worst idea ever.  I have argued this idea many times.  As a former state champion, i do not feel that i would have wrestled the best if i was wrestling in a class system.  I would have always been thinking, what if that guy from the smaller school was better then me. 

Congrats on your state championship, great posters with such a long history of success are what make this board so great.  Can you give us all details of your championship run?

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on your state championship, great posters with such a long history of success are what make this board so great.  Can you give us all details of your championship run?

There is a fine line between sarcasm and arrogance... and there it went.

Now don't come over here trying to be all friendly to score tickets to team state this year...   ;D

I will buy my own ticket, but would allow you to buy me an adult type beverage.  Don't you feel honored that i am being that generous.  GO CASTLE.

I like the idea of classed team state. But I doubt the IHSAA goes for 2 classes. I would think they would like 3 or 4. I agree that it is much harder for a small school to be able to field a whole team of quality wrestlers to win duals. But like others bring up you will have the mater dei and cathedrals that will be strong.

But don't touch the individual tourney.

GO CASTLE!! 

I like the idea of classed team state. But I doubt the IHSAA goes for 2 classes. I would think they would like 3 or 4. I agree that it is much harder for a small school to be able to field a whole team of quality wrestlers to win duals. But like others bring up you will have the mater dei and cathedrals that will be strong.

GO CASTLE!! 

Then why does Mater Dei do it all the time?  If Mater Dei can do it, then Garrett can do it.  If the IHSAA ever goes to class sports I am retiring from coaching because it won't be worth it anymore.  I don't want to share a state championship with ANYONE.  I want to know I am the true champion, not some loser with one of 10 championship trophies.

Look what the class system did for high school basketball.  It used to be it would at a packed stadium, now the crowds are small and noone really cares much about the tourney, because you don't really have a true state champion. 

GO CASTLE!! 

Cathedral is a small school???

Garrett will soon be one of the big  schools if they continue to grow like they did this year....Y2 even said they will now be a 3A school. (not sure if that is out of 5 or 4 classes)

I said we may be a 3A school and if we would be, it would be very close to the smallest 3A school.  Even with that, it would take quite a few more students to move into the big school area.  It still would not change my feelings.  Unlike most people here, I have coached at a 5A school and 2A school and have seen first hand the differences in the two schools.

Cathedral is a small school???

sorry i should have split that up. Didnt mean for it to seem like cathedral was small. What i meant to say is that in every class you will have the catholic schools who will be able to attrach atheletes by saying they will ahve better coaching and exposure etc....

So mater dei in the smaller class and cathedral in the larger class.

You guys are pretty quick with the sarcasm.... guess i cant make a mistake without being chastised for it

For those of you who are for class wrestling.  I encourage you, especially those who saw how a real state finals should be...last weekend, to go to detroit next weekend for the michigan finals.  It's 3 days, thursday, friday and saturday finals.  If you go on friday night you will see the semi-finals that usually are at the skill level and excitement level of our regionals!!  And if you go to the finals you'll be lucky enough to see all four state championship matches at each weight class wrestle AT THE SAME TIME!!!  And if that doesn't confuse you enough.....you are left with the class a,b,c and d champs looking at eachother wondering who's the  best?  Of course you never find out because there is not even a tournament of champions.  Thursday and friday are on 12 mats, good luck keeping up with those  brackets.  As I said before, my michigan friends now go to Indy to see the real deal and they all bash Michigan now for ruining their favorite sport.  Just look at Michigan University's roster, filled with In-State guys and their just not strong enough to compete with the big ten schools who pull kids from states without class wrestling.  Michigan State has a walk on right now from Bronson Michigan.  He went to state last year and was ranked high.  He was beat last year by a kid from lakeland by major decision.  That kid for lakeland was a junior and didn't make it out of semi-state.  By the way, the Bronson kid's career record was 91-52.  How ofter do we see that down here?  You're either the best....or you're not!  Kudos to Indiana for getting and keeping it right.  

By the way, I will be at the finals next week in between sessions at the Big Ten Championships.  I will be sure to update you on the next Metcalf coming out of Michigan.  ( Even a blind dog gets a bone now and then!)

I never said it was anything of historic matter.  Bloomington South 1974 98lbs. I was just trying to state a different point of view.  If you would like to hear about my whole high school carrer give me a call and ill tell you.

Congats on changing your name and enrolling in college last year.  It is so great to see older people going back to school these days.

Great....slam us aged geezers......sounds like someone needs a timeout.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.