Crown Point wrestlers

CoachesWife

New Castle is the same, both school's kids were great sports again this year at state, well mannered, respectable.  they never taunt opposing wrestlers and keep there dismay to themselves, that's the ones that make it to state that i'm speaking of.

coach Vlink doesn't want them to spread germs

Ah, prevention of the common cold is more important than showing simple respect. Good to know.

Oh, and don't mind the 6 minutes of rolling around covered in sweat or anything, naww thats 100% germ free.

Ah, prevention of the common cold is more important than showing simple respect. Good to know.

Oh, and don't mind the 6 minutes of rolling around covered in sweat or anything, naww thats 100% germ free.

back when i wrestled for coach vlink, 20 years ago, noone shook the oposing coaches hands.  all of the sudden a lot of people do it, because they choose to.  \

it is by no means an obligation.  it does not make you unsportsmanlike if you don't.

Personally,  I like what the college wrestlers do.   Immediately after the match,  they shake hands with each other, and then run right to the shower.      No point in spreading anything you may have picked up from the other wrestler,  to coaches (yours or there's) or teamates.    Why sit around longer than necessary after the match letting some skin infection you may have picked up brew.     I totally agree with good sportsmanship, and hate seeing cocky wrestlers display arrogance.     But this hand  shaking issue  after the match gets to much attention in my humble opinion.  

Well the coaches don't roll around covered in sweat and anymore you have to worry about more than a cold.

(Dual meet wise) if you think about it at face off(both coach and wrestler) SHAKE HANDS, coin toss SHAKE HANDS, before you wrestle SHAKE HANDS, after you wrestle SHAKE HANDS (then coaches hand) after meet SHAKE HANDS (with team and hand). That's a lot of unnecessary hand shaking lol. Four is good for me, (face off, before you wrestle, after, and teams lines up to shake hands).  A wrestler can make himself look like a poor sport if he doesn't shake hands after match by the way he carries himself and the other way around.  Look at college wrestling, You rarely see wrestlers shake the other coaches hand, not out of disrespect, most of the time you are still pumped from the win, that you go shake YOUR OWN coaches hand first.  I don't think its that big of a deal to NOT shake the other coaches hand, maybe its just a personal preference. Just my opinion.

I'm a former Crown Point wrestler and I didn't shake hands then and I still don't in college/ my team doesn't. Coach Vlink is just practicing one of the things he did in college as a wrestler and is helping his wrestlers get ready for the next level. Shaking hands after a match is a false sense of sportsmanship. If you want to be a sportsman, then wait until you see the coach after the match/meet like when you seem him in the hallway to shake his hand. Now that would be true sportsmanship. Coach Vlink taught us to have the up most respect for our opponents and our opposing coaches. Not shaking hands eliminates disrespecting other coaches. 90% of the time wrestlers, especially wrestlers that lose, are really emotional during big matches and this is because wrestling is a sport of one on one competition. Thus, your emotions can take control of you and make you "disrespect" a coach. That's why not shaking hands with the opposing coach right after the match has concluded is a great idea, because no disrespect can occur.

Keep up the hard work bulldogs and get em next week at center grove!!!!!!!

i think that it should be a rule to shake each others coaches hand and if you dont its a point taken away from your team

good sportsmanship is a great thing to teach high school kids now a days

I agree. In fact I think that just shaking the other coaches hand after your match is not enough. I think that we should have each wrestler shake hands with every person in the crowd after each match. After all it is just good sportsmanship !:P The wrestlers should also go to the concession stand and shake the workers hands as well. After all it is good sportsmanship! ;D 

I agree. In fact I think that just shaking the other coaches hand after your match is not enough. I think that we should have each wrestler shake hands with every person in the crowd after each match. After all it is just good sportsmanship !:P The wrestlers should also go to the concession stand and shake the workers hands as well. After all it is good sportsmanship! ;D 

You may be on to something here.  Don't forget to mention that they have to start kissing babies as well.

I seem to remember when Lance Rhodes was coaching at Cathedral, alot of people were pissed that he didn't have us shake hands with the opposing coaches. I guess I can chalk that up to some good ol' Cathedral hating.

Oh yeah, this is Tom McGinley. I am on my wife's account.

Forget all this respect/sportsmanship/blah blah blah.....

This is about entertainment.  Who among us fans would not like to see these fresh takes on the old handshake

Lumberjack Handshake ? Person 1 sticks their thumb up, their partner (Person 2)

grips the thumb in their palm and sticks their thumb up. Then Person 1 grips Person 2?s

thumb and sticks their other thumb up. Person 2 grips the thumb. This creates a

?thumb stack?. The partners move their hands back and forth simulating a saw cutting

down a tree.

Fisherman?s Handshake ? Both participants make a motion as if they are casting a

fishing rod. They extend their right hands to one another, sliding past the palm and

wrist of one another and clap their hand against the forearm of their partner. This

results in a flapping sound, like a fish out of water.

Cow Handshake ? Person 1 interlaces his/her own fingers with thumbs up and flips

their hands over so the thumbs are pointed down. Person 2 mocks milking a cow by

gripping Person 1?s thumbs.

Mistake Handshake ? Share this fact: The average person makes 7 mistakes a day.

Partners begin to give each other a high five, but miss hands and reach beyond hands

towards their partner?s shoulder. Each person reaches over their partner?s shoulder and

pats them on the back.

Coffee Pump Pot ? Both participants go in for a normal handshake, miss hands and

reach for their partner?s right foot, which is lifted in the air behind them. They grab

hold of the foot and pump the leg lightly up and down.

Crab Handshake ? Participants stand facing opposite each other, but just to their

partner?s left. Each person steps forward with their left foot and reaches with their right

hand under their leg and shakes hands with their partner.

Just trying to lighten it up, because this was all discussed AD NAUSEUM last year...

Well stated VMI and it was the same way when I wrestled for CP from 1990 to 1994.  In fact like someone else said earlier in the post, back when I wrestled no one shook the other coaches hand after a match so I guess we all had bad sportsmanship back then.  I will say this I learned a lot from Coach Vlink and use a lot of what I have learned from him with my wrestlers.  They are very respectful and have good attitudes whether they win or lose.  So, once again as I said in another post please get off your soapboxes and look at the whole picture of how a team acts rather then just one small aspect.

Dan Williams

CPHS Class of 1994

Noblesville Middle School Head Wrestling Coach

...and then take the opposing coaches out and buy them lunch!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.