Willis Might have Surgery

Griffithguy

Seriously these punk kids need to get over themselves. Willis made it to state, wrestled his way to semi-finals and got into the finals and wrestled. Its over and done. GET OVER IT! If anyone is going to be boo'd it should be his coahces, not him. Booing a wrestler is very classless and shouldn't have occurred.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you boo a teams coaches?  The best the fans can do to show they don't like what happend is to boo the wrestlers for the school.  From what I hear it was a majority of the fans who boo'd so everyone on here is calling the majority of fans classless.  Why make excuses for what was done?  The coaches either risked his health in the finals or took a freebie in the semis.  Both ways they need to be accounted for. 

I wasn't there so I don't know for sure but from what I have heard there were more then a couple hundred booing.  To say all those fans were ignorant is rediculous.  The kid got put into a bad situation, and the coaches made the wrong decisions.  The boo's were probably because of the situation and not the wrestler.  I think the ignorant ones are the people who complain about the booing.  Lets face it we all know if that situation occurs there are going to be boos.  Just as we know that if a kid stalls badly in the finals, or is cocky after winning, or a kid who gets away with an illegal move will also get boo'd.  Its part of the sport.

So Duck,

You think that everyone was booing the coaches - you are absolutely wrong.  I was there and I heard people yelling that Tyler was a cheater.  They were definitely booing him.  I agree it was an unfortunate turn of events for both wrestlers, but please stop trying to twist the facts around to suit your crybaby self.  Maybe if you had been in attendance, you could have witnessed firsthand the behavior of Vlahos for yourself.  Perhaps your bigger problem is with the coaching staff at Cathedral and not with Tyler, but it does not come across that way.  And yes, I would agree that it showed a lack of class by the spectators to boo a 15 year old boy.  Booing an athlete has no place in children's athletic events. 

Well no offense, but times are different now and with longer life expectancy, I think 15 is still a child.  Just beacuse you have a child at 15 does not make you an "adult".  I would like to think the parents who are there watching their child would prefer that booing not take place at an event their child is a participant.   I totally respect the hard work and dedication that these wrestlers have put in but it does not change the fact that they are still "children"

These are not children, they are young men.  I can think of few instances when wrestlers lost their cool and were booed.  I thought it was good for them to hear public disapproval for their wrong actions.

Even if I agreed with this statement, which I don't, he didn't do anything "wrong".  He just got injured.  Punished for no crime. 

You need to pull these young men off your teets.  Sure they can't get locked up or vote or serve our military, but they should no right from wrong.  What makes an adult an authority over children is the fact that they should know right from wrong.  Willis knew as well as his coaches boos were coming.  So don't play the 15 year old child thing.  

You need to pull these young men off your teets.  Sure they can't get locked up or vote or serve our military, but they should no right from wrong.  What makes an adult an authority over children is the fact that they should know right from wrong.  Willis knew as well as his coaches boos were coming.  So don't play the 15 year old child thing.  

Is Willis your son? I'd be one PO'd parent if he was my kid and you were saying this about him. Sometimes you need to be "the adult" and bite your tongue, and keep your BS comments to yourself.

And I imagine you smack your kid everytime he spills his milk?  Give me a break.  Nobody's saying kids are perfect.  I'd be the first one to condone some kind of punishment if a kid strays from what he knows is "right".  And I realize people boo all the time.  It's nothing knew.  But Willis just got injured.  That's all.  Not rocket science.  He got hurt.  There was no secret conspiricy to get him into the finals.  Get over it.  Because I'm sure he will and will be back next year ready for another great year.

What about? I never said anything about Willis or his parents.  From all accounts he is a great kid, but I was talking about the people complaining about the boos.  Everyone in the stadium knew boos were coming and they want to play the child card on this board.  Absolute bs.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes because i can see both points of the argument however I would like to respond to 15 year old's being referred to as children. At age 15 i don't think that they are still children they are young adults, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't one of the great aspects of High School sports the fact that they help children to mature into respectful and successful adults. How are they going to mature if they are constantly sheltered criticism can be one of the best ways for a person to grow and improve on theyre actions.  Just Imagine if Willis had been faking it although I do not think that he was then he would know that there were many people who disagree with it and it would probably prevent him from making the same mistake again. And on the other hand if he was seriously hurt then the boos simply reinforce the fact that in the sport of wrestling there are way too many overbearing parents who take it too seriously and are to hard on the athletes. Wrestling is supposed to help the young men grow up and mature but it seems as if it has caused some parents to act less mature than the young men themselves.

Since the young man apparantly was disallowd to wrestle by the doctor, it is obvious that he should not be booed. 

However, I think we are a little sensitive about booing 15 year old "children".  These are not children, they are young men.  I can think of few instances when wrestlers lost their cool and were booed.  I thought it was good for them to hear public disapproval for their wrong actions.

At 15 my grandfather was roaming the West looking for work in order to help support his family.

At 16 my grandmother was taking care of her several brothers and sisters as her mother went to work.

In teaching I have known several parents that are 15 years old.  There are 15 year olds in prisons.

A 15, 16, 17 year old is closer to an adult than a child. 

To call the state wrestling tourny a "children's sporting event" diminshes these young men in my opinion.  These young men aren't watching Barney after the meet or going to story time.  I'm just saying that I think we are a little PC sensitive these days.

I agree Completely Nick...

History has shown us repeatedly that young men in the age group we are talking about have changed the course of Nations, if not Mankind in general.   It is time we got back to raising YOUNG ADULTS and stopped holding on to the concept of children being soft.  Teach them lifes lessons early and in a controlled environment and life will be much easier for them to live.

Young men and women beteen the ages of 14-18 did not get labeled as "kids" until post WWII.  Before this period this age group was considered young men and women who worked hard and had responsibilities. 

Today is a lot different.  In today's standards a 15-18 year old is a kid.  Maybe that is what is wrong with our society.

Not sure how this thread got to this topic though....

There is absolutely no point in arguing whether or not Willis was actually hurt or if he or his coaches blew it out of proportion in order to receive the easier way into the finals, because he is the only one who knows the absolute truth and it is pointless to argue either side. However it is very hard to believe that that caliber of athlete would stoop low enough to take the easy road, and fake an injury.  I doubt after that many years of training for that moment he sudden;y became weak and broke beneath the pressure. Also I highly doubt that that type of competitor would even cherish a win that was not hard a fought victory.  It is very unfortunate for the other wrestler to have lost because of that, I hope that we all agree that it would have been better entertainment and better for the sport of wrestling as a whole if the two would have been able to finish the match because it would have been a good one, that is of course if Willis would have been able to wrestle but he obviously was not.

Also I think that many people aren't even considering the many hours that he had off between matches in order to try and get himself ready for the finals. Who knows what sort of rehab he did during his off time. He has obviously worked extremely hard for this chance, and I doubt that he would have let any amount of pain from stopping him from competing in the state finals.

So you does your belief that high caliber athletes don't take the easy road extend to sports beyond wrestling?  If so, why do we continue to test for drugs for the Olympics and professional sports leagues?  If high caliber athletes never take the easy road, drug testing would not be required.

If anything nefarious was going on in this particular case, I think it is on the coaches and not the wrestler.  But let's be clear, high caliber athletes will cheat.  They will cheat at sports, cards, on their wife, on their taxes.  They will go to any extreme to get an edge anywhere in life.  Not all, but the cases are not isolated either.  Being a high caliber athlete does not make you a high caliber person.  In fact, the culture of coddling athletes, in my opinion, often leads to a corruption of the high caliber athlete's morals.

What about? I never said anything about Willis or his parents.  From all accounts he is a great kid, but I was talking about the people complaining about the boos.  Everyone in the stadium knew boos were coming and they want to play the child card on this board.  Absolute bs.

I gotta agree on this one, people shouldnt get a free pass because of their age, the constitution doesnt say we have the right to free speech as long as its not about someone who hasnt finished high school yet. And i can understand being hurt and still wanting to wrestle in the finals, you couldve ripped my arm off and it wouldnt keep me out of a championship game or match...*cough* colt mccoy *cough*

So you does your belief that high caliber athletes don't take the easy road extend to sports beyond wrestling?  If so, why do we continue to test for drugs for the Olympics and professional sports leagues?  If high caliber athletes never take the easy road, drug testing would not be required.

If anything nefarious was going on in this particular case, I think it is on the coaches and not the wrestler.  But let's be clear, high caliber athletes will cheat.  They will cheat at sports, cards, on their wife, on their taxes.  They will go to any extreme to get an edge anywhere in life.  Not all, but the cases are not isolated either.  Being a high caliber athlete does not make you a high caliber person.  In fact, the culture of coddling athletes, in my opinion, often leads to a corruption of the high caliber athlete's morals.

All I was doing was trying to defend Willis even though I have no connection to him, because I was there and saw the match and in this particular case it was not the athlete at all it was the coaches I was not referring to whether or not something was done wrong or with little integrity because I believe thath it was done wrong but Willis stepped onto the line ready to wrestle and his coaches did not allow it. Willis was ready to compete and i do not believe that he was taking the easy way out this time. And also I am willing ot admit when I have been proven wrong and you did provide a nice point about drug testing but that is also the problem with athletics. It has become so competitive that people will do anything in order to Win!

I agree Completely Nick...

History has shown us repeatedly that young men in the age group we are talking about have changed the course of Nations, if not Mankind in general.   It is time we got back to raising YOUNG ADULTS and stopped holding on to the concept of children being soft.  Teach them lifes lessons early and in a controlled environment and life will be much easier for them to live.

What life lesson was being taught to Tyler Willis?

Tyler for the Last time was NOT faking that injury!!! When i wrestled i've expierenced a dislocted shoulder he had pain in his eyes and it wouldnt have been such a big deal if it was another match but because it was in the semi-finals and Cam was a senior everybody jumps the kid and thier coaches... Tom Clark one of the best Refferess in the state if not one of the best then the best in the state was there and posted Tyler and his coaches wanted to continue the match the medical personnel wouldnt let him... its not his fault Vlahos ran an illegal move, its not his fault he got injured, and its not his fault he was not allowed to continue!!

Like i said i dont think itd be such a big deal had in not be a semi final match

Really people?  Have none of you ever competed in this sport?  If so you should know that you can get hurt and after a couple hours you feel a little better.  Anyone there on Saturday night that was watching the match and not just booing could see he was not 100%.  Tyler got in very deep a couple of times on Sean and couldn't finish for 2 reasons.  1 he was not 100% and was without any strength in that arm.  2 Sean is a great wrestler.  I blew my knee out in a match I injury defaulted, that match and came back and wrestled 2 more matches that day.  2 weeks later I had knee surgery and the doctors could not believe I had wrestled more on it.  I think Tyler should great class and heart in the fact he wanted to wrestle the semi-finals and despite all the BS on here his coaches wanted him to wrestle also.  But, he was told no so he took his time off iced and tried to keep it loose.  He comes back to try and wrestle a stud show tons of heart and gets booed on the mat and the podium.  Then to make things even worse some idiots on here are still bad mouthing him about the injury.  You should all be ashamed of yourselves and you all need to grow a pair and apologize to him, you also need to grow up

I have seen several posts concering this incident. I would like to give my two cents for what it's worth. I have seen Willis wrestle on numerous occasions and have coaches against Cameron this past season. Cameron is an awesome wrestler to say the least heck, he TF my kid. I really find it hard to believe that Willis to fake an injury to wrestle in the finals against Sean. Willis is a very competitive athlete and it ashamed that people are assuming that he "FAKED" an injury. I guess people will still think what they may. All I know is that the Willis kid is the real deal and don't become discouraged about what happened. Keep your keep up and I am looking forward to seeing you  next year under the lights. (2X)

Thanks for actually reading my post AJ.  People on this board get mad at me because of how I say stuff not what I say.  I do think I made a logical post on this subject.  I have never once attacked Willis personally.  I have stated numerous times that the coaches made the wrong decision. 

Past statements by DNR

McCray will be the best wrestler McMurray has wrestled and it will be a good match.(I thought he would win)

Result:  McCray was the second best wrestler in this wieght class and gave him the best match from anyone from Indiana.

DNR statement:  Duckworth did not run far enough to get a title.

Result:  Duckworth gets beat by stein.

DNR statement:  Willis should not have wrestled in the finals.

Result:  Now there is talk about Willis having to have surgery.  They put the kid in harms way.

DNR statement:  IF Fort Wayne brings there top 135's  they best in the state.

Result:  THis one kinda shocked me because Hiestand did not place, but both Faurote and Hiestand took Norton to OT at semi state.  We still had two placers and a champion.

I have a track record of being right.  If you don;t like the facts then bash me.

Past statement by DNR Merr semistate would be the weakest without Crown Point Merrillville and Mishawaka.

Fact/Result over the previous 4 years 14 state champs came out of the regional AFTER the 14 from those schools were removed from the total. 14 titles out of (56-14)=42    comes to 33%  This year would add Macmurray,Porras,Cleveland and Ayersman out of the 12 available (14 -Roach and Tsirtis = 12) for a 5 year total of 18 out of 54 which continues at 33%. Consider your record for being right bashed

Yeah your top heavy but your semi state lacks depth.  Fort Wayne was even up in heads up compitition.  You consider champions as being the best measure for success I say its state placers.  State Placers shows the overall depth of a semi state and your by no means dominating that department.  If you take the teams that I meantioned the semi state would loose almost half of its placers.  So thanks for proving my point, you are below average with out your top teams. 

If some of you people would read earlier posts in which trainers and such have posted their thoughts... you don't dislocate ur shoulder and then it get better 3 hours later.. it indeed gets worse.. and as for the brace... those things don't do crap.. bottom line if the refs/doctors would not allow him to finish his semi-final match he would not have wrestled his final match..  As a fan that is not something u want to see in the finals.. but it would have been the only way to make this right.. personal opinion - Cathedral/tyler willis = ALL STATE DIVE TEAM 2010

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.