Nick Kraus - Trine - headed to NCAA Nationals in Cedar Falls, IA

For those of you who didn't know, this saturday, Nick Kraus, Senior from Trine University - 184 ( New Prarie) qualified for the NCAA Nationals in Cedar Falls, Iowa by wildcard selection. Nick made history for Trine University as the first ever national qualifier for the 5 year old program. Nick placed 2nd at the Regionals this saturday in Doylestown, PA but because he defeated the former 2x national qualifier in the semi's he claimed a true second place finish and was 1 of 6 wrestlers out of the regional to recieve wildcards. Nationals will take place march 5th and 6th so good luck Nick! you earned it and what a great way to cap of a great wrestling career!

From the Trine web site.

2.20 - Kraus Heading to National Championship

Doylesville, Pa. - Nick Kraus (Rolling Prairie, Ind./New Prairie) wrote a new page

in Thunder wrestling history Saturday. 

Kraus earned a wild-entry in the Division III National Championship March 5 and 6

in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Trine Head Coach Dan Callahan is hoping for another page in early March. ?It means

everything? he said. ?It shows we are taking the next step. Now the next step is to get

an All-American. Nick could do that. I think once we get that it will open the flood gates. We are doing what we have to. I am proud of where we are at.?

This season marked only the fifth full season for the program at Trine.

Kraus lost a 10-5 decision in the 184 championship round, but was impressive in the true-second round to earn wildcard votes. (True second matches feature the third-place wrestler challenging the runner-up for 'true-second.)

Kraus was solidly in control of the championship for the majority of the match, until he was flipped on his back.  The veteran wrestler started to make adjustments including a desperation move. 

?I took a gamble. I was winning and I shouldn?t have done it,? Kraus said. His opponent scored a five point move and Kraus never recovered.

Six other Thunder wrestlers placed in the top five, including two who battled for individual championships to lead Trine to a second place finish at the 2010 Midwest Regional Saturday.

George Markou (164, Peru, Ind./Peru) and Ryan Pieper (175, Onstead, Mich./Onstead) finished second, just missing automatic berths in the national championships.

Kyle Long (157, South Bend, Ind./Washington) and Alex Fleet (197, Lowell, Mich./Lowell) finished third. Long was named a third-alternate for the nationals.

William Sheets (Decatur, Ind./Bellmont) was fourth at 133. Dylan Forbes (Wolcottville, Ind./Prairie Heights) finished fifth in heavyweight