Freshmen at State

profestler

Congratulations to the 3 freshman placed at state this year

103 - 6th, Josh Farrell, Greenfield-Central

152 - 8th, Austin Neibarger - Cathedral

189 - 3rd, Mitch Sliga

I think we were a bit spoiled with the 2009 Freshmen  - 2 champs and 9 total place winners.

I was pretty impressed with the Culver Community wrestler at 189. I think his name was Hurford. 189 is a tough weight class to come into as a freshman. Hopefully we will see this kid again in the years to come. Sliga is another one that I was very impressed with. Gave Atwood a great match, and was up 4-2 on Johnson-Jones at semi state before getting tossed and pinned. I expect him to do great things in the next 3 years.

I was pretty impressed with the Culver Community wrestler at 189. I think his name was Hurford. 189 is a tough weight class to come into as a freshman. Hopefully we will see this kid again in the years to come. Sliga is another one that I was very impressed with. Gave Atwood a great match, and was up 4-2 on Johnson-Jones at semi state before getting tossed and pinned. I expect him to do great things in the next 3 years.

Matt Hurford he had a great match with Travis Thatcher from Bellmont, he is a very well rounded 189lber needs to get bigger almost looks like he should be 171. An amazing performance keep up the good work.

Matt Hurford he had a great match with Travis Thatcher from Bellmont, he is a very well rounded 189lber needs to get bigger almost looks like he should be 171. An amazing performance keep up the good work.

Interestingly, he can't legally wrestle 171, yet hasn't weighed in over 180 but maybe twice the whole season.

He would be a beast next year at 71, The difference between both these fresh. Sliga is 14 1st year cadet, Hurford 16 a 1st year junior. Both great kids.

If he can't make 71 this year how on earth would he make it next year??  Another difference is that Sliga trains at CIA and Hurford probably trains with his brothers.

He would be a beast next year at 71, The difference between both these fresh. Sliga is 14 1st year cadet, Hurford 16 a 1st year junior. Both great kids.

Don't know why we have to differentiate them.  Culver hadn't had a state finalist in almost ten years.  And it had been 15 years before the previous finalists.  If he were 19, we still would have been tickled pink.

Include all the freshman and sophmore qualifiers and thats a very impressive underclassman group.  At least we wont have to worry about a lack of talented individuals over the next several years.

Very true - great showing by underclassmen (9 - 10) this year. There were only 4 weight classes in which an underclassmen did not place:

285 (no surprise)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.