Where did the fans go?

The attendance for Saturday's final session at Conseco was just under 9,000.

The opening round Friday drew just over 8,000 paying fans.

According to the IHSAA, the "total" attendance for all three sessions was 25,811.

(That's all 3 sessions added together, even though it's mostly the same people.)

That's sounds fine, until you consider that just a few years ago, the state meet was annually drawing a "total" around 31,000. And the final session typically attracted 10,000 to 11,000 spectators. 

This is something I've been watching rather closely, and I'm not sure the reason.

Attendance at the state finals has been dropping steadily for several years. I remember when it slipped from 31,000 to 29,000 to upper 27,000, and now to 25,811.

Is this because of the economy? Are the wrestlers not as interesting as they used to be? Are the tickets too expensive? Do the concessions taste bad? I notice that Mater Dei doesn't bring the huge crowd that it used to ... is it Mater Dei's fault?

Can't really blame the weather this past weekend. Why do you think the attendance is dropping?

I blame Mishawaka if they would not of taken up 10 spots that is a possible 10 other schools that would of had fans there.  :o  Seriously though, there are allot of areas in the state that are being hit really hard and the state tournament has people coming from all over the place, not just a few areas.  I'm sure it is not the only reason but I would say it is a major factor.  I know a few people that didn't go because of money.

It's definitely the economy.  It can be a pretty expensive weekend. 

I live in Indianapolis and only went to the morning session (2 rounds) and it cost me $20 for the ticket and parking. 

Hotel, food, parking, gas, etc.  It can be a very expensive weekend. 

I have never had the pleasure of making it to the state finals meet.  1. It's almost a 2 hour drive. 2. It is expensive. 3. Being from a very small town makes Indianapolis seem like (and it is) a very large town. 4. I usually have to work. 5. The radio or the internet keeps me pretty well informed.  ........maybe next year.

I have never had the pleasure of making it to the state finals meet.  1. It's almost a 2 hour drive. 2. It is expensive. 3. Being from a very small town makes Indianapolis seem like (and it is) a very large town. 4. I usually have to work. 5. The radio or the internet keeps me pretty well informed.  ........maybe next year.

6. and the curling matches going on at the olympics. Is there anything better than watching the Indiana high school wrestling finals on the puter and curling on the tube?  THINK NOT!!!

ff

What part of the state are you from tireman?  If you are close to me, I will give you a ride next year. I have done the same thing before and stayed home hitting the refresh button until my finger bleeds (it never really bled) but , nothing beats being at Conseco in person. It is such a great atmosphere!

I got a very powerful MOJO!  I went to MSA for a dozen years...then it moved to Conseco and IT happened.  The regualtion nazi's started to take hold.  No more seat saving, no signs, no alcohol (unless you are in a suite, then anything goes).  I bitched and moaned about the fact that I had to drag my newborn son, dripping in sweat from the heat, in to sub-zero temperatures and re-enter again.  At that moment, the seed of hatefor the IHSAA was planted and the curse began. I listened to the crap about fire marshall and head count then....all TOTAL bs.  The folks in the suites sipping cocktaisl at a HS sporting event were poetic symbolism for the elitest attitude of the IHSAA.  They do what they want and answer to no one.

So the economy heads southand the internet comes to fruition and viola!!  Die hard fans that used to bust both legs and sell blood to get there are staying home DESPITE the product on the mat getting better every year.  Well at some point jumping through hoops and being treated like $hit gets old...or it could be thatI have the power equivalent to the goat at Wrigley field and the IHSAA State Tournament is doomed to fail until I receive an apology and fans start getting treated like guests (WOW what a novel idea!!)  ;D ;D :o

I totally agree with awood1. I have attended IHSAA State since 1984 and when it was at Market Square the atmosphere was great. Although I still wouldn't miss it, I would have to agree that it is just not the same.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.