wish willis would have been 100% vs. mcmurray

frigginhurts

Bash:

- Just because you do not like Sean doesn't mean you have to constantly look for faults in his character at every meet you attend. If you want to know something about Sean McMurray go talk to him. He is a great guy and i'm sure is willing to talk to anyone who happened to say hi to him at a tournament. So if you really are so concerned about his character and what kind of person he is go talk to him yourself. Don't make assumptions based on what you are misinterpreting through watching him wrestle.  

-I believe the only reason you don't like him anyway is because you have some built up hatred for portage from when you were in high school, and are looking for reasons not to like him because of the team he wrestles for. Maybe their team beat your team a couple times or you had a strong rivalry with portage.

-Also, I have known Sean a long time and seen him stay after practice to work with little kids and help make them better. I have seen him on countless weekends during the offseason at wrestling camps helping kids get better and he has done lots of work helping with CIA, and VEGA Wrestling (when it was still around), and the Portage Wrestling Club all in an effort to give back to the sport that has given so much to him. Don't go around saying he is a bad individual because he raised three fingers at state when you do not know him and have no knowledge of the things he has done for our sport. before you go bash someone make sure you take some time to learn what kind of person he is first. When you assume you are only making an @$$ out of yourself.

Johnny,

Believe it or not, I was actually cheering for Sean to win again as I love me some REGION pride.  Again I do not know Sean personally as you do, but the actions I, and others have seen, lead me to the conclusion that he needs to learn a thing or two about sportsmanship.  Never did I say he was a bad person or that he has not done a lot for the sport because it is very clear that he has and that he deserves all of the championships and the praise that he has gotten.  I only hope that the transition to the next level will teach him some humility and that he can be as humble a champion as we have had in the past.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone see the irony in this the whole year everyone has been on McMurray's case and the debate on booing Sean or not and how wrong it id to boo a high school kid. Then Willis goes out there and get the loudest booes   

We were talking about this exact thing in our seats...

I could not agree with you more Ontherise... I was talking to some people about that and how ironic it was that suddenly people forgot they were anti-mcmurray because he was the bad guy.  Must have been a great day for Sean because the thousands who were cheering against him immediately started cheering for him becuase they heard Harrison fans booing.  Oh conformity.

Johnny,

You said it best- when you assume, you make an ass out of yourself. Don't assume that everyone that said that McMurray showed a lack of class is jealous, "a hater on their fellow region school Portage", or ignorant for not trying to get to know McMurray on a personal basis. I am sorry we cannot call up Sean and take him to Applebees for his achievements and talk over a nice meal- some of us have to base our opinions of people off of the actions they show in public and their lack of respect for their fellow teammates.

Everyone gets on here and uses the same response over and over- "I know Sean and he wouldn't be disrespectful". Well, then let me throw this out there- I know Bash513 and know him very well. Its safe to say that no one knows him better and I doubt he spends his time hating on Portage from his years in high school but hey, if thats what you want to assume, well you know what that makes you.

No one is taking anything away from Sean McMurray, his accomplishments, his three state titles, or his wins- all people were saying was that it was not the classiest thing to do and be honest with yourself, it wasn't; however, it is not the worst thing in the world that he did either. He did not throw punches or spit in someone's face, he just simply had some premature celebration during a match- end of story.

People can say an action shows a lack of good sportsmanship without being a "hater", jealous, or without seeking revenge on Portage high school from their glory days at Brickie Bowl. People can also be happy for McMurray, his family, and Portage and still feel the same way about his 3 finger salute.

i think that if sean is reading this he is giving most of you the "one" finger salute right about now.....way to go dude, you wrestled awesome and i thought your "three" finger salute was pretty cool.....put a smile on my face.....

Mickswife: 

When Gibson hit his walkoff homrun the game wasn't over until he crossed home plate.  I remember

playing Little League ball and this kid hit the ball over the fence against our team.  However he

missed third base while trotting around the bases and we appealed and he was called out.  The next time at

bat he hit another homerun and this time he stopped and picked up third base.  This kid ended up in the White

Sox farm system. He was the 2nd leading hitter in the big ten when he attended Northwestern.  This was in the early 60's.

Bash- I respect your opinion, your post, as well as you yourself. However i still disagree and believe that Sean did not do anything unsportsmanlike.

MIB- You are very correct. I assumed Bash was a portage hater and that was wrong of me. I'm sorry. I should have left that part out of my original post. Still i stand by my belief that when you formulate opinions on someone based solely on watching that individual wrestle you are doing an injustice to that person. You don't have to take sean out to applebee's although I'm sure he'd appreciate the free food. I was only suggesting you say hi when you see him at a tournament. I just wouldn't want to judge someone before i knew them a little bit. As i admitted to and apologized for doing earlier.

Also- I feel the only thing we would be able to agree on at this point is that Porras is one heck of a champ and most certainly a class act.

Bash- I respect your opinion, your post, as well as you yourself. However i still disagree and believe that Sean did not do anything unsportsmanlike.

MIB- You are very correct. I assumed Bash was a portage hater and that was wrong of me. I'm sorry. I should have left that part out of my original post. Still i stand by my belief that when you formulate opinions on someone based solely on watching that individual wrestle you are doing an injustice to that person. You don't have to take sean out to applebee's although I'm sure he'd appreciate the free food. I was only suggesting you say hi when you see him at a tournament. I just wouldn't want to judge someone before i knew them a little bit. As i admitted to and apologized for doing earlier.

Also- I feel the only thing we would be able to agree on at this point is that Porras is one heck of a champ and most certainly a class act.

Agree to disagree and move on seems to be the best option.  I want to say to everyone that I am in no way anti-McMurray as I feel he is a great wrestler and will great at the next level. 

McMurray could have taken 2 Willis' that night and the outcome would have been the same.  Did I read a post that said McMurray never got scored on this whole tournament?  He shut out the competition?  Was there anyone else who did that?  In terms of the three fingers, I've seen worse displays of celebration.  From break dancing to back flips to simply running out of control around the mat.  Another post mentioned basketball or baseball or football, all sports with multiple players on the field at the same time, as if any of these sports even compare to wrestling.  Our sport earns the right to celebrate.  Let's face it, wrestlers are a little bit different than let's say basketball players.  If a wrestler, as an individual, wins a state championship that's a lot different than a basketball team winning a state championship.  Especially in the watered down class warfare that exists in Indiana.  McMurray dominated.  3 peat.  Whatever, the truth is his opponent quit with time remaining and left him in an awkward position of "what do I do, just lay here on the mat with this guy?"  Perhaps he should have laid a cross face on him when Willis quit...Perhaps he should have just walked back to the center of the mat when Willis quit...Perhaps he should have put in an arm bar when Willis quit.  In wrestling, in the state championship match, under the lights at the big house, in your quest for a 3rd consecutive title, when your opponent literally quits underneath of you with time left on the clock, who are any of us to judge a kid for holding up 3 fingers?  McMurray beat Willis so bad that Willis quit before time expired.  Willis tapped out.  Both of these kids are warriors, and one warrior wins and one warrior loses.  Personally, I like when a wrestler treats every victory like business as usual.  Like Tsirsits and Escabedo did several years back.  Doesn't make McMurray any less of a sportsmen in my eyes.  Way to go kid.         

O im def not taking anything away from McCray trust me he suprised me but all week you kept saying McMurray will lose and all this and that now that he won you find something else to hit him on and I felt it was no disrespect to willis and he wasnt in the wrong. i have talked to him about his actions before and this time around i dont feel it was disrespectful to Willis. im done with this your an idiot duck and run who you gonna bash on next year not winning and talk trash about next year? thats all you do. peace im deleting my name im done with this board for good now!

Whats the over under he does it?

ff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.