wish willis would have been 100% vs. mcmurray

frigginhurts

I have talked to Sean and he said that at the point that he raised his hand and put 3 fingers up, Willis had stopped wrestling and was just laying there. I have watched the film and it is confirmed that Willis had stopped wrestling and had conceded the match. It was over. I know for a fact that Sean meant no disrespect. He said that he spoke with Tyler after the match and he is a nice kid and a very good wrestler.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you care if anyone bashes him?  He obviously doesn't.  If he did he would be more respectful on the mat and that hasn't happend.  I mean how hard is it  to no right from wrong behavior?  He does this type of stuff all the time and you want everyone to just look the other way.  Keep crying about him getting bashed, but it will happen as long as he keeps disrespecting his opponents.

Why do you care if anyone bashes him?  He obviously doesn't.  If he did he would be more respectful on the mat and that hasn't happend.  I mean how hard is it  to no right from wrong behavior?  He does this type of stuff all the time and you want everyone to just look the other way.  Keep crying about him getting bashed, but it will happen as long as he keeps disrespecting his opponents.

Because he is my brother im sure if we were talking about your family member youd be defending them also. and by the way howd you like you pick to win 160 bet you lost

Whether he thought Willis conceded the match is not the point- the point is that the match was still going on, he was on top of his opponent, and he did not wait until the buzzer went off to celebrate which showed a lack of respect for his opponent. I'll accept an "agree to disagree" on this one. Congrats to McMurray for his accomplishments and hopefully he learns some respect on the mat.

Because he is my brother im sure if we were talking about your family member youd be defending them also. and by the way howd you like you pick to win 160 bet you lost

Nice quote army

Your family must not be able to respect anyone.  My pick did fine he finished third and was the second best wrestler in the state.  Why do you have to go out and disrespect him?

About my family, I would only defend them if they were in the right.  If one of my relatives did something wrong why would I say it was ok?  I care about my family and would tell them the truth.  I would tell them they shouldn't be doing the wrong behavior.  Sounds like your just giving him a crutch.  After all if there is no repercussions for your actions why would you ever change your actions.  Why don't you have a heart to heart with him and tell him not to do disrespectful things instead of making bs excuses for his behavior.  Just my thoughts.

O im def not taking anything away from McCray trust me he suprised me but all week you kept saying McMurray will lose and all this and that now that he won you find something else to hit him on and I felt it was no disrespect to willis and he wasnt in the wrong. i have talked to him about his actions before and this time around i dont feel it was disrespectful to Willis. im done with this your an idiot duck and run who you gonna bash on next year not winning and talk trash about next year? thats all you do. peace im deleting my name im done with this board for good now!

Year in and Year out people celebrate wins in the finals until kids start gettin called for unsportsman like conduct for celebrating before the whistle it will continue. The three wasn't that bad in my eyes. I actually thought that was better than what Roach did. He ranaway with 5 seconds left and started celebrating when he stalled in the third. It would have cracked me up for the ref to call a stall and doc the kid for unsportsman like conduct at the same time that would send it in to over time. Wrestle til the whistle celebrate when the match is over.

How are you going to be mad at a guy for winning his 3rd state title in a row and raising his fingers? would you rather have him get up off willis the last 10 seconds and run around and do it? I never won state so I don't know how it would feel to win it once let alone 3 times, but I do know that if i can a match locked up with 10 seconds left I would raise my arm or something. I don't think what Sean did was disrespectful at all he just won his 3rd title let him have it and celebrate the way he wants.

Congrats Sean.  What a great accomplishment to be a three-timer.  You earned it and wish you the best of luck in the future.  You can definitely say Sean has a little swag to him, as I like to call it.  I felt the three fingers up could have waited, but it is nowhere close to the worst thing I have ever seen done in a finals match.

All I am saying is many people would find these actions disrespectful so don't get mad if people have a difference of opinion.  Also if everyone says its no big deal hes going to keep disrespecting opponents for the rest of his life.  The kids a great wrestler and probably a great guy, but if you don't know him I think everyone on here can see why you wouldn't like him.  If he has a problem with that he can change his actions, if not he can be the heal of wrestling for years to come.  That may be a role he enjoys and if so good luck to him.  Some guys like that the world is against me mentality.

congrats to sean.. hell of a career kid.. good luck at the next level.. and if willis would have been 100%.. well there wouldn't of been a difference.. sean would have won with about the same score i would predict.. and if willis would have been 100% he would have been wrestling mcCray..  :D

People are so sensitive. And always think their opinion is the only opinion. Held up three fingers. . . . O boy. Last weekend we seen punches thrown and fits thrown. It seems like something always has to be talked about.

I personally saw nothing wrong with the three fingers, but I'm wondering why you guys aren't commenting on the ones who lost their match and came off of the mat throwing their head gear to the floor and leaving it for the coaches to pick up? THAT is direspectful!!!! Congratulations Sean, you deserve the three fingers!

I personally saw nothing wrong with the three fingers, but I'm wondering why you guys aren't commenting on the ones who lost their match and came off of the mat throwing their head gear to the floor and leaving it for the coaches to pick up? THAT is direspectful!!!! Congratulations Sean, you deserve the three fingers!

I agree he was pumped people doubted him all year and he should of done that if thats what he chose Great job Champ good luck in the NCAA

Nice quote army

Your family must not be able to respect anyone.  My pick did fine he finished third and was the second best wrestler in the state.  Why do you have to go out and disrespect him?

About my family, I would only defend them if they were in the right.  If one of my relatives did something wrong why would I say it was ok?  I care about my family and would tell them the truth.  I would tell them they shouldn't be doing the wrong behavior.  Sounds like your just giving him a crutch.  After all if there is no repercussions for your actions why would you ever change your actions.  Why don't you have a heart to heart with him and tell him not to do disrespectful things instead of making bs excuses for his behavior.  Just my thoughts.

How can you talk about excuses? You are on the thread about the 160 clas saying Vlahos was cheated and making more excuses than Carter has liver pills

I agree with this whole post! Congratulations to Sean. My son wrestled him in the quarterfinals and told me that he is a very technical wrestler. Actually, Sean stuck him in a cradle...this was the only near fall points ever scored on him in his high school wrestling career. Ryan fell short of his goal just like the other 15 wrestlers who did not win it. Good Luck at Michigan State.

"10 seconds left in the game football players sneak up behind their coaches and dump a cooler of Gatorade on their coach."

Is this disrespectful to the other team cause there is time left on the clock?

"3 or 4 seconds on the clock basketball player throws ball in the air to celebrate a title."

Is this disrespectful to the other team cause their is time left on the clock?

"Kirk Gibson pumps his fist as he runs the bases after hitting a home-run."

Is this disrespectful to the other team cause he has not crossed home plate?

These are just a few examples and no one EVER complains about them.  So, please get off your soapboxes and let the kid enjoy his third state title he has earned it.

I saw many other champs, repeat and first timers, who were excited and overwhelmed but did not disrespect their opponent.  Eric Roach is the perfect example, he was so excited that he leapt into the ams of his coach.  Afterward he saught out his opponent and the opposing coaches to shake hands.  He was just as excited to win a championship but showed class and grace.

Ummm the way I saw it, none of the Crown Point kids shook any coaches hands after any match.

"10 seconds left in the game football players sneak up behind their coaches and dump a cooler of Gatorade on their coach."

"3 or 4 seconds on the clock basketball player throws ball in the air to celebrate a title."

These are just a few examples and no one EVER complains about them.  So, please get off your soapboxes and let the kid enjoy his third state title he has earned it.

Good point C oach. Congratulations Sean on doing something amazing that 99.999% of the people posting on this board could not. Maybe that's where the animosity comes from. And at least you didn't break dance!

The only one that i find disrespectful would be The basketball team. The Gatorade thing is done on the sidelines by players not in the game. When Kirk Gibson hits a home run the play stops the game is over. That is why they call it a walk off home run. 

Was it classy to hold up 3 fingers for the last 10 seconds of the match while in the top position...that's the reason hate on McMurray

come on now lets be real for a minute... i would bet that a large % of people on this site would have done some kind of similar celebration if you had been in seans shoes.. a 3 TIME STATE CHAMPION.  holding up 3 fingers is not a big deal to me, look at other sports like football at both the college and pro level there are crazy celebrations after Touchdowns and other big plays..  so him celebrating by holding 3 fingers up is 100% ok with me, he earned that right

The only one that i find disrespectful would be The basketball team. The Gatorade thing is done on the sidelines by players not in the game. When Kirk Gibson hits a home run the play stops the game is over. That is why they call it a walk off home run. 

Actually in the rules of baseball the run does not count unless he crosses home plate so the game was not over until he crossed home plate, but that is besides the point.  As I said before I can name many other examples and no one has an issue with those and that was my point.

Bash:

- Just because you do not like Sean doesn't mean you have to constantly look for faults in his character at every meet you attend. If you want to know something about Sean McMurray go talk to him. He is a great guy and i'm sure is willing to talk to anyone who happened to say hi to him at a tournament. So if you really are so concerned about his character and what kind of person he is go talk to him yourself. Don't make assumptions based on what you are misinterpreting through watching him wrestle.  

-I believe the only reason you don't like him anyway is because you have some built up hatred for portage from when you were in high school, and are looking for reasons not to like him because of the team he wrestles for. Maybe their team beat your team a couple times or you had a strong rivalry with portage.

-Also, I have known Sean a long time and seen him stay after practice to work with little kids and help make them better. I have seen him on countless weekends during the offseason at wrestling camps helping kids get better and he has done lots of work helping with CIA, and VEGA Wrestling (when it was still around), and the Portage Wrestling Club all in an effort to give back to the sport that has given so much to him. Don't go around saying he is a bad individual because he raised three fingers at state when you do not know him and have no knowledge of the things he has done for our sport. before you go bash someone make sure you take some time to learn what kind of person he is first. When you assume you are only making an @$$ out of yourself.

Nice quote army

One could argue that this statement disrespects willis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.