why does everybody hate on tyler willis

CharlieMcGinley

I couldn't agree more that it was terrible of all of the fans to boo Willis... I understand why people were mad, and I can almost understand why people boo'd him a little at first, but to boo the kid when he receives his second place medal on the podium was just wrong.  Just the type of class I should have expected from Indiana fans.

tyler willis in no way deserves to be booed. my only problem is i keep going back to the saying "you sleep with the dogs you get the fleas." if you put your self or your parents put you in a program that has coaches who act the way cathedrals do and you put yourself at risk for people to treat you the way they did tyler last night. wheres the integrity for the coaches? dont you say tylers not goin to be 100 percent in the finals and has 2 more years, vlahos is a senior and didnt do it intentially so lets injury default and not put our kid in this situation. i.e.: LC's coaching staff at the pendleton regional in the mason berryman situation.  (and mason punched the LC kid and got DQ'd with 15 seconds left in the 3rd) the LC coaches knew there kid had time and wasnt going to win and said let him(berryman) continue. its NOT tylers fault its the continuous bad actions of the cathedral COACHING staff the brought on the result of last night.

Were you one of the people booing him? These people did not boo the coaches, they boo'd him, If they had wanted to boo the coaches, they could have done that when they were being named during the finals introductions, instead they chose to boo every time the boy was announced. These people are the worst kind of fans that any sport can have, they need to all write a letter to this boy and his family for what they did to him last night.

Here is my point of view and what people in my area were saying on the whole situation. First it was an Illegal or dangerous move that Vlahos has been taught by some of the people he trains with and they know it should not be run that way! Willis was definitely hurt, but I thought the Cathedral Coaches told him to Default..which he did not want to from his response. Now if I am wrong about this and the Trainers/Dr's made him default instead of his coaches, then I am sorry. No way should Tyler have been boooed, but a I think part of the hate was going back to the Coaches(Mcginley). Tough loss for a very good Vlahos, but he also should have handled the situation better by time he got to the awards stand. It sounds like Tyler is a very good kid and unfortunately the whole situation stinks because a senior in Vlahos did not get to win or lose on the mat and Willis will always be seen by some as a guy who layed down to win a match.

Here is my point of view and what people in my area were saying on the whole situation. First it was an Illegal or dangerous move that Vlahos has been taught by some of the people he trains with and they know it should not be run that way! Willis was definitely hurt, but I thought the Cathedral Coaches told him to Default..which he did not want to from his response. Now if I am wrong about this and the Trainers/Dr's made him default instead of his coaches, then I am sorry. No way should Tyler have been boooed, but a I think part of the hate was going back to the Coaches(Mcginley). Tough loss for a very good Vlahos, but he also should have handled the situation better by time he got to the awards stand. It sounds like Tyler is a very good kid and unfortunately the whole situation stinks because a senior in Vlahos did not get to win or lose on the mat and Willis will always be seen by some as a guy who layed down to win a match.

AGREED! although doctors dnt make that decision.. its just their opinion..

tyler willis in no way deserves to be booed. my only problem is i keep going back to the saying "you sleep with the dogs you get the fleas." if you put your self or your parents put you in a program that has coaches who act the way cathedrals do and you put yourself at risk for people to treat you the way they did tyler last night. wheres the integrity for the coaches? dont you say tylers not goin to be 100 percent in the finals and has 2 more years, vlahos is a senior and didnt do it intentially so lets injury default and not put our kid in this situation. i.e.: LC's coaching staff at the pendleton regional in the mason berryman situation.  (and mason punched the LC kid and got DQ'd with 15 seconds left in the 3rd) the LC coaches knew there kid had time and wasnt going to win and said let him(berryman) continue. its NOT tylers fault its the continuous bad actions of the cathedral COACHING staff the brought on the result of last night.

Just because I am a little bored; I have a mild Sunday beer buzz; and I am sick of hearing of the nonsense today, you get a response on this:

I will deduce that you are most likely a Marion County fan/wrestler as you so dismissively dropped out LC out as a school anyone on this board would otherwise classify as Lake Central or Lafayette Central Cath. I will error on the side of saying you are a Bearcat and a Cathedral hater because of our proximity. However, if it is just overall disdain for the educational and athletic excellence we strive for every year in all sports and academic accolades , then I will apologize in advance for your ignorance. No coach at Cathedral will ever compromise their integrity for betterment of a measly advancement in an athletic event.

As I have said for many years on this board, wrestling at Cathedral is a secondary sport. There is little gratification for a medal or finish outside of the top of the podium at CHS. Congrats to our 4 placewinners yesterday. Ballers. But, many athletes at Cathedral have blue rings.

No one at Cathedral would stand for a cheap victory that you alluded to in the Willis - Vlahos match despite who made the call on the outcome (trainers, IHSAA, or coaches). Certainly Tyler didn't decide what the outcome of the match would be in the 2 minutes that he laid on the mat in pain. If you read the Indy Star article, you can get a good grasp of what actually was going through his head in the short injury time he had to decide if he was physically able to perform. But this isn't about Tyler's effort or injury, it is about how the semi-final ended.

No one on this board knows what went down outside of the 2 Cathedral coaches, the 2 referees, and the two trainers that huddled around him. No one. Everything is heresay. I will tell you that I know Cathedral coaches are great men. And, the fabric of the program despite the athlete that walks through the bus garage doors into the Cathedral wrestling room compete for more than any individual accomplishment. Like most long-standing successful programs in any sport at any level, it is a state of mind that we slave for and endure for the betterment of the school and its spirit. The program is bigger than the indivudal. A state title in the arguably the greatest sport in the world is a grand prize. No one in Cathedral's entire athletic program (coaches, athletes, administration) would ever compromise our integrity for a cheap victory though. 

Congrats to McMurray. Being a 3-timer is incredible. Jealous.

The bottom line here is treat others how you would want to be treated. Put yourself in his shoes and think to yourself if this situation happened to you would you want to get treated the way he did? These ADULTS have no right booing a high school athlete who is out there giving his best and nothing less. Willis if you ever read this keep your head up and stay around the support of your family. You are a great kid and great athlete. You have a bright future. As for the fans who booed him, shame on you. You should feel disqustied about yourself. This shows what society has come to.

Am I reading this right, Berryman punched some kid at Regionals?  If this happened I do not understand how he was able to compete ther rest of the way.  Pretty sure that is classified as Flagrant Misconduct which should have eliminated him from further competition in the series.

Anyhow, the bottom line in the situation is that there was an illegal move that resulted in an injury of the other wrestler.  Someone mentioned that Vlahos could have been called on it the previous week as well at the semi-state.  I give credit to Willis for attempting to come out and wrestle the State Championship match, which to me seemed like he was clearly not 100%.  It was an unfortunate way to lose a match, but the rule is the rule.  

ive never seen worse sportsmanship displayed last night adults  screaming fake another injury he is a 15 year old kid way to go

i thought the Cathedral kids flipping off the camera on all the podium pictures last year was worse sportmanship because they were actual wrestlers and not people in the stands...

I can see family and friends of Vlahos being upset about the situation, but not the rest of the crowd.  Tyler is a good kid and it was obvious he didnt take the news not to continue wrestling very well.

They both get to wrestle next week and hopefully they will both be ready mentally and physically to help their team make a run at a title.

Are you talking about lawrence central. if so then what happened

Whoever said Berryman punched somebody is wrong. He almost had the kid tech-falled even tho the kid kept running away. So when they got on their feet, Berryman was handfighting him hard. After blatantly backing out of bounds he went to club him Andrew Howe style and the kid bobbed down and it struck his headgear instead of the top of his head. The ref was on the other side and thought it was a closed fist but then the other refs reversed his call after telling him it wasnt. Even the coaches at LC and the wrestler said it would be wrong to DQ him.

I couldn't agree more that it was terrible of all of the fans to boo Willis... I understand why people were mad, and I can almost understand why people boo'd him a little at first, but to boo the kid when he receives his second place medal on the podium was just wrong.  Just the type of class I should have expected from Indiana fans.

I completely agree. Regardless of  your view on what should have happened, boo'ing him on the podium and when he was announced was classless.

If he was hurt so bad--that he could not finish his match--cuz of injuries--why risk his future by sending him out hurt against  the most dominat wrestler at state finals--no way he should had wrestled that badly hurt--no one can recover that fast from those injuries--( whatever they might have been ) that stopped him from taking the mat . I think for safety precuations--to protect the sport and protect the integrity--any wrestler that wins by injury default--should not be able to continue for rest of that tournament. We are lucky that Wills did not get hurt in championship match. Maybe some of those boos--will make changes in rules after wrestler get so hurt he can't finish his match. Remember, lets protect the kids above medals..

Yeah Grandpa, that is THE judgment call. Do you let Tyler wrestle on his urging or do you shut him down? I think it is a good point. I think Coach McGinley probably deferred to Tyler in this instance, but it is one of those calls like Freeney in the Super Bowl where you have a chance for immortality.  Do listen to the athlete or do you listen to the doctors? Either way, I hope Tyler gets healthy and returns to form. Good talk. 

2 reasons

1. Cathedral

2. Questionable decision, should he have allowed Vlahos to wrestle finals or wrestle at less than 100% against a proven champion

ohhh wow everyone. we're talking about the difference between 2nd and 4th. Cuz neither one was gonna win and if u dont get first place it doesnt make to big of a difference

I haven't read through all of the comments on this, but I have to say that it is 100% wrong to boo a kid who gets injured by an illegal move and wins by DQ!  Willis didn't screw Vlahos, Vlahos screwed Vlahos.  And he screwed over Willis and the fans, because no one got to see the rematch of his earlier 1-0 match with McMurray.  To anyone who is saying "if he was too hurt to continue, then he shouldn't have wrestled the next match", that is a stupid statement!  As good as Willis is, and only a sophomore, there is no guarantee whatsoever that he'll get another shot to wrestle a match under the lights.  Why wouldn't you put a brace on your injury and do anything you could to give it a go? 

you idiot people who do not understand the extent of the injury at the time, think about when the injury occurred. you are in the semi finals and the pain is there on a ILLEGAL move, how can you continue after a 2min timeout and still be able to be affective 100%. wakeup you idiots. 2min is not going to get you any better, by the way if anybody should have been booed it should have been VLAHOS, and cam you need to keep your mouth shut,you screwed up and nobody else did, i have seen him wrestle for the last 4 yrs as an opponent and seen him get into a brawl with one of our wrestlers, good wrestler with a bad attitude but good luck at PU. and congrats to SEAN been great watching the class you are and good luck at MSU can't wait to watch on big ten network, also one last thing hope you recover tyler can't wait to watch you next year.

1) Question the coaches, Ty done what they told him. He is one of the toughest kids in the state he did not make the call. Give the kid his respect he deserves it.

2)Anyone who watched the finals knows he was injured, He had to come out and wrestle that match.

3) The move Cam hit started legal, the strength of Ty pulled it outside the body which made it Illegal. Cam did not mean to injure him he is always wrestling to dominate.

4) So do not put any blame on these two great competitors, if anything question the adults who was involved in this match.

5) Anyone who Boo-ed Ty should be ashamed this is one of the five toughest kids in the state, he did not want to take the easy way. Iknow that for a fact.  The best of wishes in the future to both of you guy's you are both great wrestlers and people, keep it up!

I watched Willis  laid flat last year  for 20 sec to win his first round, now this year  please. I was reminded "Its about what you can live with" so if he can live with his actions good for him, but I hope he can live without the respect of a LOT of people. The sound in the field house wow.

I watched Willis  laid flat last year  for 20 sec to win his first round, now this year  please. I was reminded "Its about what you can live with" so if he can live with his actions good for him, but I hope he can live without the respect of a LOT of people. The sound in the field house wow.

Whats wrong with laying flat for 20 seconds to win? If you have a decent lead, why fight to get up and risk getting put on your back? Personally, I don't think he did anything wrong this year either. All of these negative comments are ridiculous. If a kid does an illegal and hurts someone and that someone can't continue, then the other wrestler should be disqualified. No bad calls excuses necessary.

1) Question the coaches, Ty done what they told him. He is one of the toughest kids in the state he did not make the call. Give the kid his respect he deserves it.

2)Anyone who watched the finals knows he was injured, He had to come out and wrestle that match.

3) The move Cam hit started legal, the strength of Ty pulled it outside the body which made it Illegal. Cam did not mean to injure him he is always wrestling to dominate.

4) So do not put any blame on these two great competitors, if anything question the adults who was involved in this match.

5) Anyone who Boo-ed Ty should be ashamed this is one of the five toughest kids in the state, he did not want to take the easy way. Iknow that for a fact.   The best of wishes in the future to both of you guy's you are both great wrestlers and people, keep it up!

Probably Caliboy189's best post ever!!!!  Give him Wahoo's!!!