Who's going to Greenwood?

twinwrestlersmom

Wish we would not have...horrible day. Wrestling started at 11:00, for the second time in as many tournaments Greenwood accepted entries after the brackets had been set. I do not understand why publish "accepting email and fax weigh ins only" and in bold letters "wrestling will start at 9:00 am Sunday monring". You would have thought they would have learned their lesson after the disaster last month. Left Greenwood at 6:45 pm!!!

I agree, terrible tournament.  Not only started late 6 and 7 man brackets for the larger weight classes.  I had 2 kids there, one wrestled 2x's and the other 3x's.  We left at 6:20 that's pm.  It's a one and done for us!!!!!!!

Were they in the same gym? Mine were in separate gyms and started out to be 30 matches(number wise) apart but for whatever reason wound up only minutes apart. Thankfully they can move fast enough to get to the other gym after their brothers match to get to theirs so they didn't hold anyone up. 

Whiteland had 28 kids there. I was there first thing in the morning at 8 am. Wrestling didn't start til about 10:45 or so, slightly earlier in the other gym with Women's wrestling first. I didn't leave until 7 pm. The kid had 3 matches all day, and two of them were the last 15 minutes of the day. Another one of our wrestlers didn't wrestle his first match until 3 pm. Kind of dissapointed by the tournament. The whole faxed/email weigh in thing, is for the sole purpose of speeding up tournaments. I don't understand allowing some people to be register if they didn't previously fill anything out. If there was a mistake that left them out then, okay, but try to have enough help to fix these problems within a half hour. We know most tournaments start late, but they usually get going in the half hour range sometimes up to an hour.

I wish a lot of tournaments would get away from the splitting up age/weight groups. I'd rather see a 16 or 32 man bracket, instead of 4, 5 or 6 different Intermediate 60's. Most kids only get about 3-4 matches out of that. If done correctly, you could easily get the large groups started first, and worked their way through even in the large bracket and completed in a timely manner. The whole 2-3 matches only thing is a bit of a waste.

I would have to agree... I knew around 15 or more kids there for wrestling and not for camping out or running around... Not only having to deal with waiting for almost 3 hours to start wrestling, we also had to deal with some of the rudest people I have ever seen at a tournament... Adults sitting on top of other peoples things, moving other peoples stuff so they could sit there, and KIDS and ADULTS walking right over kids laying on the floor...

I thought that the wrestling community was a trusting and caring group of people, but after yesterday I think NOT.....

Lets all try to keep in mind that Greenwood is a fairly new club, I think this is only thier second or third tournament and only hope that the club's board, coaches, and parents continue to try and Improve on running a tournament properly. There are alot of resources out there is they would take advantage of them. Franklin puts on some of the best tournaments around, also Brandi cash is a great resource for organizing a tournament , or the ISWA is also very active in helping with tournament planning and how to run a great tournament. Keep your heads up G'wood and good luck in the future. ;D

I agree and it is understood that they are new at running a tournament, and yes hopefully they will learn from their mistakes.  That being said, here are just a few suggestions:  

1.  If you have rules in place regarding registration and deadlines, you should stick to them.  They are there to make things run smoothly.  Don't give in to those that did not abide by the rules.... and make the 500 people who did suffer because of it.  

2.  The splitting up of brackets was also a bit 'overdone'.  I can understand splitting them into an A and B, but to have 5 brackets for one age division and wt division was a bit much, BUT...

3.  IF you have to split brackets.....please take into consideration that some clubs drive 2-3 hours to be able to compete.  We do not do this so that we will be paired with another one of our own kids.  I saw this all day yesterday, our club was not alone.  I understand that sometimes it is unavoidable...but we had 6 of our own kids wrestling each other 1st round--and there were 4 other brackets that they could have been split into.  This is extremely disappointing.  When we asked that they be re-paired, the request was denied.  

#3 is the biggest complaint that our club had.  It is not only disappointing to the parents, but the kids are so disheartened by this.  When you are a PeeWee and have to wrestle your best friend at your first match of the day, you can't help but be a bit upset.  It is extremely unfair to the children, and very easily fixed during pairings.  

Start on time, accomodate your wrestlers, and things will run smoothly.  These are just suggestions, not trying to judge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.