Mater Dei

Sam Goebel and Nathan Wright both first time varsity made it to regionals. Sam earlier in the year beat Cody Kendle who ended up having a great year and placed at state. Evan Vibbert was also first time varsity who made it all the way to Semi-state losing in the ticket round to State 3rd place winner Luke Schroeder. Mater Dei should have a great year next year with a full team of experienced wrestlers. Mater Dei wrestles a tough schedule every year and these guys got great experience this year.

Sam Goebel and Nathan Wright both first time varsity made it to regionals. Sam earlier in the year beat Cody Kendle who ended up having a great year and placed at state. Evan Vibbert was also first time varsity who made it all the way to Semi-state losing in the ticket round to State 3rd place winner Luke Schroeder. Mater Dei should have a great year next year with a full team of experienced wrestlers. Mater Dei wrestles a tough schedule every year and these guys got great experience this year.

yes i was VERY impressed with Sam and Nathan at the end of they year. I hope they work hard in the offseason and come back better next year

Without a great deal of effort and some serious senior leadership in the practice room, I don't see next year being any different from this year.  The kids need to step up and put in the effort before, during, and after the season if we hope to see any change.  I see the senior leadership as being the key factor.  If someone doesn't man up and take the lead and put pressure on these kids, it will be another long season for all the MD faithful. ( in case you missed it, that was a challenge to this years junior class, man up!!!!!!!!!)

Not only does MD have a lot of solid wrestlers returning, they've also got some tough incoming freshman next year.  Boots is a mentally tough kid, I think he'll step up to the plate as a Senior and show some real leadership in the wrestling room.  The feeder program, after a brief lull, is picking up the pace and there are some tough kids coming through the ranks in that 3rd-6th grade range there are some solid studs.  MD's still a strong program and I don't see them hitting the brakes any time soon. 

My guess is that Maurer is gone for good (but anything can happen). May should be there next year.  Alex Bassemier (currently a sophmore) is another one to watch.  Three of the incoming freshman placed at Middle School State this year (4th, 5th, 8th - took him 7 matches in a 37 man bracket to earn 8th)...another couple didn't attend due to injuries.  Hammelman is the only senior, so the only one they won't have back next year...and the MD Reserves had a pretty good season, so look for some of them to try to break into the lineup.  And...as someone mentioned before...there was a coaching change, and next year will be Greg's first year with no "transition" kids.  The Wisemen (Mike Goebel, Randy & John Helfrich, John Dewig, Joe Mayer...all of the "former" coaches) are still around to assist Greg in any way he needs, and the die hard behind the scenes people are still going strong.  

People keep calling this a "down" year for MD (me included), but when I step back and take a look at what we really have, I think about the teams who would die to have a "down year" like ours (and to have the kind of wrestlers we have in the pipeline).  And you can say what you want about MD fans...but there is nothing else like them...the crowd may be "down", but we still bring more than any school around....and the energy they can bring to a room is simply put...awesome!

My guess is that Maurer is gone for good (but anything can happen).  Appell and May should be there next year.  Alex Bassemier (currently a sophmore) is another one to watch.  Three of the incoming freshman placed at Middle School State this year (4th, 5th, 8th - took him 7 matches in a 37 man bracket to earn 8th)...another couple didn't attend due to injuries.  Hammelman is the only senior, so the only one they won't have back next year...and the MD Reserves had a pretty good season, so look for some of them to try to break into the lineup.  And...as someone mentioned before...there was a coaching change, and next year will be Greg's first year with no "transition" kids.  The Wisemen (Mike Goebel, Randy & John Helfrich, John Dewig, Joe Mayer...all of the "former" coaches) are still around to assist Greg in any way he needs, and the die hard behind the scenes people are still going strong. 

People keep calling this a "down" year for MD (me included), but when I step back and take a look at what we really have, I think about the teams who would die to have a "down year" like ours (and to have the kind of wrestlers we have in the pipeline).  And you can say what you want about MD fans...but there is nothing else like them...the crowd may be "down", but we still bring more than any school around....and the energy they can bring to a room is simply put...awesome!

I'm not sure you can say the MD crowd brings any energy to a room.  I'd say its a little embarrassing to see how silent they have become.

My guess is that Maurer is gone for good (but anything can happen).  Appell and May should be there next year.  Alex Bassemier (currently a sophmore) is another one to watch.  Three of the incoming freshman placed at Middle School State this year (4th, 5th, 8th - took him 7 matches in a 37 man bracket to earn 8th)...another couple didn't attend due to injuries.  Hammelman is the only senior, so the only one they won't have back next year...and the MD Reserves had a pretty good season, so look for some of them to try to break into the lineup.  And...as someone mentioned before...there was a coaching change, and next year will be Greg's first year with no "transition" kids.  The Wisemen (Mike Goebel, Randy & John Helfrich, John Dewig, Joe Mayer...all of the "former" coaches) are still around to assist Greg in any way he needs, and the die hard behind the scenes people are still going strong. 

People keep calling this a "down" year for MD (me included), but when I step back and take a look at what we really have, I think about the teams who would die to have a "down year" like ours (and to have the kind of wrestlers we have in the pipeline).  And you can say what you want about MD fans...but there is nothing else like them...the crowd may be "down", but we still bring more than any school around....and the energy they can bring to a room is simply put...awesome!

I hope you are right, but they will have to show me alot more than they did the past two years to make a believer out of me.

I read this comment on Saturday and just couldn't wrap my head around why there was only a "whisper" in Conseco.  There were plenty of Evansville area people there with all the fans I'm sure Reitz, Castle, Memorial, and Princeton brought (or any of the fans from the Evansville Semi State), surely those fans could have cheered on the EMD boys just as the EMD fans have cheered on all the wrestlers from the Evansville Semi State in the years past?  I couldn't attend this week-end, but I was following as closely as I could on the web and went just as crazy for any wrestler from the Evansville Semi-State (esp. the Evansville wrestlers) as I did the EMD kids.  So, if the Evansville area fans weren't cheering for the EMD kids then shame on them for not showing EMD the same support they've been given in the past.

I agree , Just like Penn and Mishawaka are bitter rivals . I am a diehard Penn fan during the season , but when it comes to the state tourney , I will always root for both schools wrestlers . I will also be at Center Grove rooting on the Cavemen to bring home another team title .

I hope you are right, but they will have to show me alot more than they did the past two years to make a believer out of me.

I think they will.  When I look back at the past, I think one of the key differences between then and now is how the kids were brought up through the feeder league.  When my brothers were little, there was a group of dads who got together every week-end and took as many kids as they could to any tournament they could.  There was no real politics...if you wanted to wrestle at an out of town tourney...someone would make sure you got there.  No one was worried about so and so going because he might be in the same weight class as my kid, so I don't want him to go...none of that mentality.  Then there was a span of years where it seemed like hardly any of the feeder kids were traveling and if they were, the were keeping it "mum" so that this kid or the other wouldn't come.  (Or, they didn't think the kids were good enough to compete, so they just sat it out...they lost the connection that better tourneys bring better competition that naturally leads to a wrestler getting better.)

Now, the feeder program has a solid group of dads who are traveling as much as they can...and they're taking any kid who wants to go with them.  That's how the program became so strong in the first place...all of the traveling and extra tourneys...and they're finally getting back to that place.  Greg's got a good core group of wrestlers to work with, I think they'll come out swingin' next year.

I think they will.  When I look back at the past, I think one of the key differences between then and now is how the kids were brought up through the feeder league.  When my brothers were little, there was a group of dads who got together every week-end and took as many kids as they could to any tournament they could.  There was no real politics...if you wanted to wrestle at an out of town tourney...someone would make sure you got there.  No one was worried about so and so going because he might be in the same weight class as my kid, so I don't want him to go...none of that mentality.  Then there was a span of years where it seemed like hardly any of the feeder kids were traveling and if they were, the were keeping it "mum" so that this kid or the other wouldn't come.  (Or, they didn't think the kids were good enough to compete, so they just sat it out...they lost the connection that better tourneys bring better competition that naturally leads to a wrestler getting better.)

Now, the feeder program has a solid group of dads who are traveling as much as they can...and they're taking any kid who wants to go with them.  That's how the program became so strong in the first place...all of the traveling and extra tourneys...and they're finally getting back to that place.  Greg's got a good core group of wrestlers to work with, I think they'll come out swingin' next year.

+1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.