Riding time in high school???

iWatch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the top wrestler is doing nothing then you warn him for stalling but too often I have seen kids lay on the mat on bottom and not attempt anything while the top man does a good job of riding and working for an exposure.  If riding time was counted then the bottom man would at least feel the need to move off their belly every once in a while to try to get out.

If awarding riding time will encourage the bottom man to wrestle and not lay there making out with the mat, I am all for it.

Excellent post, I agree.

sb25 you are  right on.  '67-'68 riding time for each min. more than your opponent.  '68-'69 rt was taken out.  We use to keep it with those red clocks that someone mentioned earlier and we always had some brain surgeon run them but we were really unaware of home much time was accumulated.  Rides such as the navy, sailor, crossbody, etc. were rampant and I think pinning was more prominent and kids worked to get out from underneath.

I think its a great idea, def helps you get ready for college riding and having that sense of urgency to get out or ride someone out.  But I too don't think it will ever happen in high school. 

How many of these kids will be wrestling in college?  Is getting ready for college wrestling an important part or purpose of high school wrestling?

Good topic of discussion. The escape is rewarded with one point for one reason, it's the easiest thing to accomplish in wrestling. Now, not sure that this implementation would reward top stalling as much as it would discourage bottom stalling. I know that we have enough clock problems as it is but if this were implemented within each period it would stop wrestlers from choosing bottom in tight matches knowing that the other wrestler has no option other than cutting him and giving away that "free" point. When I say within each period I mean riding time would only be awarded if a wrestler rides his/her opponent wire to wire. I'm sure there are arguments in opposition but I haven't thought this through entirely so lets hear them.

If scoring points are based on taking a risk, making an action, being aggressive, etc... why would we give a point for doing nothing?

Points are awarded all the time for doing nothing.  When a wrestler takes a risks, and the risk fails, the other wrestler usually is awarded points.  

Riding and working for a turn, not stalling, is work and is risk taking. We see people get reversed all the time while working for a turn.  Why not reward them for that work?

Points are awarded all the time for doing nothing.  When a wrestler takes a risks, and the risk fails, the other wrestler usually is awarded points.  

Riding and working for a turn, not stalling, is work and is risk taking. We see people get reversed all the time while working for a turn.  Why not reward them for that work?

I think that in college wrestling you don't see many wrestlers taking risks.

Look back to even some of the great Indiana wrestlers careers like Alex Tsirtsis, even he struggled on bottom his first couple years of college.  He was dominate on his feet no doubt, but really never focused on riding, he was barely (or never) taken down, so he never had to worry about getting away in high school.  Who knows maybe if we had riding time in high school it could help those wrestlers who plan on wrestling in college.  Just my $.02 though.

If the top wrestler is doing nothing then you warn him for stalling but too often I have seen kids lay on the mat on bottom and not attempt anything while the top man does a good job of riding and working for an exposure.  If riding time was counted then the bottom man would at least feel the need to move off their belly every once in a while to try to get out.

If awarding riding time will encourage the bottom man to wrestle and not lay there making out with the mat, I am all for it.

If the bottom kid is just laying there on his belly.  He probably should be getting hit for stalling, yes?

From the neutral position, we see people creating shot attempts, but getting countered and giving up takedowns often times.  Should they get rewarded for that work?

From the neutral position, we see people creating shot attempts, but getting countered and giving up takedowns often times.  Should they get rewarded for that work?

Why not.........

unless it was a bad shot attempt.....    ;D

If the bottom kid is just laying there on his belly.  He probably should be getting hit for stalling, yes?

You can look really busy on top and not really be doing anything.  A guy can throw his legs in and cycle from move to move without ever really making a turn attempt.  Coaches will teach kids to ride and look busy so they can get a point.  It will be boring.  If you want the bottom man to move, pop him with stalling calls.  This rewards the top man and forces action on the bottom man as mulitple stalling calls are possible.  Riding time doesn't force the bottom man to do anything special, it is only one point.

I currently have to deal with riding time and I dont think it is necessary for high school....if a guy is riding the piss out of you you will not score that period...thats the top mans reward allowing the bottom man to not score. If the bottom guy is "Stalling" like you all tend to say you have to realize that if he is just laying there getting rode out by some leg rider or a mean tight waste that kid is going to be DEAD tired. Come the third period that guy is going to have no gas.  Even if he is trying to hold on to a 1 point lead the wrestler on top needs to have a feel for if he can turn him or if he must let him go and try to tie it with a td. Just my opinion.

I currently have to deal with riding time and I dont think it is necessary for high school....if a guy is riding the piss out of you you will not score that period...thats the top mans reward allowing the bottom man to not score. If the bottom guy is "Stalling" like you all tend to say you have to realize that if he is just laying there getting rode out by some leg rider or a mean tight waste that kid is going to be DEAD tired. Come the third period that guy is going to have no gas.  Even if he is trying to hold on to a 1 point lead the wrestler on top needs to have a feel for if he can turn him or if he must let him go and try to tie it with a td. Just my opinion.

There you go. Well said. If its 1-0 and the bottom wrestler has to escape to win, I will never boo a wrestle who rides him out to win. It's his job to get away. If he doesn't he needs to work on his bottom game not put it on the ref. There is defense and counter to leg riding. Either stop it or lose. For every action their is a reaction.

There you go. Well said. If its 1-0 and the bottom wrestler has to escape to win, I will never boo a wrestle who rides him out to win. It's his job to get away. If he doesn't he needs to work on his bottom game not put it on the ref. There is defense and counter to leg riding. Either stop it or lose. For every action their is a reaction.

The second and third overtimes essentially encourage riding time by the top man with no attempt to turn the guy below.  Especially the final overtime.

College wrestling is experiencing a very slow and painful death. Programs are being eliminated due to budget cuts caused by lack of funding due to the current economy.

Why is wrestling at most colleges a non-revenue sport? Why isn't the attendance higher? Why isn't there more TV exposure (I am aware of the Big 10 Network)? Why can't we lure the average sports fan to become a fan of wrestling?

There are many reasons for this. I think the best answer is we are not attractive to TV. There isn't enough action...especially in college wrestling for the average person to take notice.

People want to be entertained. We need to make wrestling more exciting and attractive to the genral public if it is to survive.

I had a friend-who is not a "wrestling person" ask me while watching a college match on TV..."If the objective in wrestling is to pin your opponent, then why do you get a point for not pinning him?" Not a bad observation.

Wrestling is it's own worst enemy. Some things have changed over the years...technique, how we train, saftey, nutrition, weight classes.....

Other things haven't changed...like how we continually shoot ourselves in the foot .

If we continue to do what we have done we will continue to get what we have.

Grecoref,

Isnt ALL wrestling sufferng a slow death now?  Fila keeps changing the international rules to make wrestling more tv friendly but that hasnt worked either. 

I thought the point of wrestling was to control your opponent, not necessarily pin him.

Riding time should def be added in high school. If for no other reason to prepare these kids for college. We as a state are very weak in the down position and we have these studs on their feet but they get beat 1 to 0 in college by some kid that is decent on their feet but a beast on the mat. We need to make mat wrestling more important at the high school level because it is the biggest change when you jump to college I remember I came out of high school with both the season and career takedown records at my high school and all of the sudden I cant get a takedown and I am terrible on the mat and I was getting beat by a point because I was so use to takedown then cut takedown then cut. This is a problem that I see here in Indiana and we need to fix it and I think this would help.

Yes great post

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.