Riding time in high school???

iWatch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes great post

Regardless of how good you were on your feet or even on  top the transition to college is going to be rough for nearly everyone, granted there are exceptions to this. I can remember the first time I chose down in college and I just got hammered....not just rode out I mean POUNDED in to the mat. Coming in to college you are going to have to expect to work to improve all aspects of your wrestling to have any kind of success. The addition of riding time is not going to make you any better of a top wrestler, constant practice and tweaking of your technique is what makes you a better top wrestler.

I feel there shouldn't be riding time in the regular high school season. There is to much parity in talent between wrestlers at the high school level to make it worth while.  With that said, I think the idea of implementing riding time at the national tournaments would be good. Most of the wrestlers that are wanting to wrestle in college attend these events and they would  get a taste of how it works and it would give the college coaches a better look at their overall wrestling ability.   

Riding time will cause the top man to attempt as few of turns as possible without getting call for stalling (Stalling needs to be called more frequently.).  If you can't score on top, why should you get rewarded? If you can't turn the kid cut him and take him down. The best high school and college westlers are takedown oriented. Top man has a choice to go neutral bottom man doesn't. Officials have a hard enough time grasping what a takedown/reversal/escape is let alone score it in a timely manner.

You prepare for college by doing offseason tuournaments and seeking out the best competion.

The riding time will only change a small small proportion of matches and won't matter anyway so it wont be worth the hassle.

Young one, if you cant get away from top man why should you be rewarded. Its the same concept. Your saying if he cant turn the guy he shouldnt be rewarded. Well the bottom wrestler has a responsibility to get away. You can stall on bottom by simply not allowing yourself to get turned. Bottom guy - dont get turned, escape.  Top guy- turn guy, dont let him escape. They both have jobs

Quote from: allaroundfan165 on February 16, 2010, 12:39:19 PM

Riding time should def be added in high school. If for no other reason to prepare these kids for college. We as a state are very weak in the down position and we have these studs on their feet but they get beat 1 to 0 in college by some kid that is decent on their feet but a beast on the mat. We need to make mat wrestling more important at the high school level because it is the biggest change when you jump to college I remember I came out of high school with both the season and career takedown records at my high school and all of the sudden I cant get a takedown and I am terrible on the mat and I was getting beat by a point because I was so use to takedown then cut takedown then cut. This is a problem that I see here in Indiana and we need to fix it and I think this would help.

I totally agree our wrestlers should be more prepared for mat wrestling at the college level.  However, this is going to be from them realizing they need to work on improving on the mat not by adding riding time.   Riding time will only award you 1 point for an entire match worth of work.  The takedown andcut approach will award you tons of points during the same amount of time.  Even if you add riding time most takedown artists are not going to all of a sudden start riding and trying to turn more.  They will still realize taking down and cutting is a much faster way to rack up points and show off some fancy moves too.  However, they will not realize all the mat time they wasted by using this strategy without first attempting some down position moves.  Until the college bound high school kids realize its not a "takedown clinic" show for the crowd and actually want to start working on improving from all positions he's never going to be as prepared as he could have been for college wrestling.    Metcalf was pointed out as an example earlier in the thread and I can use him here.  He does do a lot of takedowns but also will put in some hardcore top work during the match and has made sure he can escape with ease.  Since they will never make cutting someone illegal the only thing that can help these kids prepare for the next level is to realize they are going to have to put in time and work from all positions not just be the best takedown artist in the area.

I am just saying that Riding time will put more emphasis on big matches I am not talking about some stud beating a fish from down the road i am talking about two solid guys going at it and both may be good on their feet but if one is an awesome mat wrestler but maybe can only ride you for a minute thirty in the second period what is wrong with rewarding that guy. I think it will actually cause more action because the bottom guy cant lay on bottom till thirty seconds is left in the period then flurry to get out he is gonna try and and get out right away especially in a close match and that top guy is gonna try like heck to hold him down which will cause more scramples which is something else we lack in this state. And for those of you who think riding is boring when two really good mat wrestlers go at it it can be just as fun as watching guys on their feet. We need to prepare our guys for what is coming in college end of story.

I think it will actually cause more action because the bottom guy cant lay on bottom till thirty seconds is left in the period then flurry to get out he is gonna try and and get out right away especially in a close match and that top guy is gonna try like heck to hold him down which will cause more scramples which is something else we lack in this state. And for those of you who think riding is boring when two really good mat wrestlers go at it it can be just as fun as watching guys on their feet. We need to prepare our guys for what is coming in college end of story.

That is exactly the point.  I have see far more matches where the bottom man is allowed to lay there and not attempt a single wrestling move for an entire period while the top man is working for a pin.

Riding time would be a good solution.  Making both men wrestle is a far better one but that has not been happening in far too many matches this year.

The good thing is that I doubt that we will see this being an issue for the remainder of the season, all 34 hours of it.

• 2 weeks later...

my sophomore year (1985) i made it to the finales at state in oklahoma got beat by ride time then got challenged for second bye the guy that loss to the guy in the semi that beat me in the finals cause he beat the guy i beat in the semi

While I don't foresee riding time becoming a part of  IN HS wrestling any time soon, its still an interesting topic of disussion.

How many states, if any, have riding time in high school?

The rules/scoring of Folkstyle is based on  "controling your opponent". Certainly, riding time rewards " the ability to "control your opponent".

Riding time adds a great element of strategy to the sport for wrestlers and coaches . However, in HS, adding another component to the table worker's responsibilities would be an administrative/ meet management nightmare. Anyone who has the duty of hiring officials and meet staff  knows it is already difficult for us to find competent people to run the clock, keep acurate score, injury time, etc.

Many changes by the Nat Fed and in Indiana HS (IHSAA) wrestling over the years have been proposed, supported, and justified with the argument of " staying consistant with "college wrestling" (NCAA). Obviously, there is riding time in college, therefore,  I suppose that argument could be used here as well. However, the NCAA team title is still determined by the National individual tournament not a dual meet tournament!

KBoyer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.