Riding time in high school???

iWatch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I AGREE..... Sometimes you get those kids that are just so hard to turn, but you end up riding them out and you get nothing. Unfortunately I don't think this rule will be changed at the high school level, but it would be cool to see!

Think about who is running the clock at most high school meets.  They are not professionals, they are mat maids and other assorted volunteer help.  We already see controversy about a clock starting late or left running for a few seconds when they go out of bounds.

Now, if you are going to start awarding points based on this clock management, I think it would be an absolute disaster.

One thing I would like to see is more like freestyle -- you go out of bounds one time, you get a warning. You go out again, it's a point for the other man.  Let's stop this fleeing/using the circle to avoid any risk.  Instead, let's keep the athletes in the circle and let them do what they are there for -- wrestle.

I'm pretty sure that riding time will never be implemented in high school but it sure makes sense to me.There are just some guys you cant get turned and refs don't call stalling.If you ride a guy for -2 minutes and you are continually working to turn him you should get some points!

I've seen this a lot this year>.

I agree with base, too.  It would be a disaster.  The one thing that I could see that would be possible to implement along these lines would be if you awarded a point for riding a wrestler out for a full period.

Riding time should def be added in high school. If for no other reason to prepare these kids for college. We as a state are very weak in the down position and we have these studs on their feet but they get beat 1 to 0 in college by some kid that is decent on their feet but a beast on the mat. We need to make mat wrestling more important at the high school level because it is the biggest change when you jump to college I remember I came out of high school with both the season and career takedown records at my high school and all of the sudden I cant get a takedown and I am terrible on the mat and I was getting beat by a point because I was so use to takedown then cut takedown then cut. This is a problem that I see here in Indiana and we need to fix it and I think this would help.

If the only reason not to have it is because we, the wrestling community, can not get someone to run a clock then the sport is in serious trouble!!!!!!

Well, I don't know about your school, but at mine we DO have problems getting enough time keepers (at times) for tournaments.  We host a two-day tournament over Thanksgiving break, running four mats.  We end up having jv wrestlers run the clock on some mats.  We have asked each team to provide a person to help out on the clock if needed.  Some teams are accomodating, some are not.  Right now, we can tell a person that running the clock is easier than using your tv remote; all you have to do is flip the switch.  That would change if riding time were implemented.

The clock operation is exactly the reason I said riding time would never be implemented in high school.It could become a nightmare as someone else said.But, awarding a point for a full 2 minutes could be a viable option.I also agree with the tougher officiating on the constant out of bounds and stalling on the bottom.

I have the relitive same opinion as a few people above.

#1 You have to have someone running the clock that actually knows what they are doing. This seems hard enough many times with the system we have without adding an additional issue like riding time to keep track of.

#2 In college riding time become more of an excuse for stalling on top.  Heck in some cases I wish they would do away with college riding time because of that.   As much as I would love for riding time to be the tie-breaking criteria, I also don't want high school wrestling to become all about stalling on top either.  And this is coming from someone who could make a career off of active stalling on top.

Cannot be done. While it IS good in theory, it is not possible.

Here is why - Too difficult for regular meets and tournaments for somone to keep a seperate clock of riding time, as most scoreboards do not accomodate two-clocks. If somone is keeping this extra time by hand, the coaches AND wrestlers do not have access to see it.

Of course if you cannot see riding time, it could greatly affect matches, or even team meets if bonus points become a factor.

Nickster is dead on.

Riding time is nothing near a stall. Perhaps the best example of this right now is Brent Metcalf. Watch Iowa's next meet and tell me if it looks like his 'stalling' while he racks up the riding time.

I should have clarified my comment a little bit.  Riding time and stalling are brothers in arms in high school (or would be).  I would hesitate to compare high school wrestling and college wrestling, especially the way Metcalf wrestles.  You may still not agree with me, but that is the direction of my thinking.

Riding time makes the bottom man work.

No, escapes are what's all that's needed for making the bottom man work.  We don't need glorified stalling.

As far as watching Metcalf.   The reason why he's able to accumulate alot of riding time is because he can take his man down, virtually, at will.  He won't ride for long periods of times if he's not in real good position to score.  Once he realizes this, he generally cuts his man.  Then proceeds to take him down again, repeating the cycle.

I disagree with all of you saying that it is too difficult to get someone to run a clock. Many D2 and D3 schools have fewer resources than most high schools and they manage to find someone to do it. Does anyone on the boards remember the old, small clocks that sat on top of the score table? I don't think it required a college degree to run one.

Next, college referees also call stalling on the top guy way better than any high school official I've seen in Indiana. If they would call the top guy more for riding hips and ankles or even for riding legs without attempting a turn, this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Finally, I need some help on this, but didn't they have riding time back in the 60's or 70's in high school? I thought someone once told me a wrestler earned one point for each minute of riding time.

I just think riding is a lost and under appreciated art of the sport.

riding time would increase the time that the coaches argue with the refs... Clocks are not started and stopped on the whistle many times. This would increase the time we stay at high school or stadiums every saturday. If your a good rider then ride and get your back points. If your bad on bottom, well you better figure something out. Bad idea. 8)

If scoring points are based on taking a risk, making an action, being aggressive, etc... why would we give a point for doing nothing?

Riding time and travel requirements are the two reasons I have no interest in refereeing college wrestling.

If scoring points are based on taking a risk, making an action, being aggressive, etc... why would we give a point for doing nothing?

Riding time and travel requirements are the two reasons I have no interest in refereeing college wrestling.

If the top wrestler is doing nothing then you warn him for stalling but too often I have seen kids lay on the mat on bottom and not attempt anything while the top man does a good job of riding and working for an exposure.  If riding time was counted then the bottom man would at least feel the need to move off their belly every once in a while to try to get out.

If awarding riding time will encourage the bottom man to wrestle and not lay there making out with the mat, I am all for it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.