JV one year State the Next...

KyleM

How many wrestlers have went from being a JV wrestler to being a state qualifier the next? Our 103 pounder Will Nelson was JV last year and is now a state qualifier after finishing 2nd this weekend at the FW Semi State? Just curious as to how many other times this has happened?

A few years back, Mater Dei had a guy who wrestled JV most, if not all, of the year.  When their varsity guy at that weight (152, I think) suffered a season-ending knee injury, the JV guy stepped in and finished 5th at state.  Makes you wonder what the varsity guy could have done.

I think you are talking about Sam Wildeman who won state.  Didn't he finish up for an injured kid?  (Maybe Not)

I placed 5th my senior year at 152 after being JV most of my junior year.  I filled in at 140 for a while that year and got beaten in a wrestle off when my friend came back from an injury.

Naw, it wasn't Wildeman.  I think I found it in TAE's book.  In 1998, Rob Mallory finished 6th at 152.  I think the guy's name he replace was Kite(?). 

I guess it all depends who you are stuck behind how impressive it ends up being.  Some kids stuck behind regional/semi-state quality guys work hard and make phenominal strides in the off season which may off big that next year.  Other kids are state quality but are stuck behind a state placer at his weight and the one above him, then the next year gets to shine.  EMD had a long line of out of nowhere state placers for a few years but after seeing who that kid had to contend with the previous your it made sense why they had to wait to be varsity.

Kevin Huser of Roncalli went from JV to 4th in the state losing in triple ot to John Leavell as junior, its a shame that he blew out his knee senior year with a record of 20 something an 0. The same year his teamate Andrew Patton went from JV to SQ.

How about Derek Harz and Logan Cooper of Perry Meridian.  Harz was jv last year and semi state runner up saturday losing 6-3 to the undefeated Robinson of HSE.  Cooper, wow, jv until after Christmas and defeats Buchanon, Wright 2x, Balbach just to name a few.  He will be moving on to Conseco as well.  Two years ago Chris Stepp went from JV to Third in the state for PM as well as Sampson Cook, who went from JV to pinning the number 2 ranked kid(Chris Conte, WC) in the same year.  Great job guys.  You never know when your chance is coming.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.