Doug Welch 145

catfish

How good has this junior been since finishing 5th at 135 last year as a sophomore?  Wrestled for team Indiana in PA.  Undefeated on the season.

Has beat John Sims MD that is ranked 26 nationaly 4 times in a row this season.  Has not allowed Sims who finished 6th as a freshman and 4th as a soph to score a point in three of those matches.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And he reminds me of someone also...I just can't pt my finger on who!

HA HA  anytime you but a finger (or anything) to a Welch. You may not get it back. You for sure cant get them off you. Just ask Sims and Richey

::)

Looks to me that Doug that the slightly easier road to climb than his "look alike" does this weekend.  Sure Doug is going to have to be on point but from the looks of it Chads definitely going to have to bring his A game. 

Looks to me that Doug that the slightly easier road to climb than his "look alike" does this weekend.  Sure Doug is going to have to be on point but from the looks of it Chads definitely going to have to bring his A game. 

Not sure either Doug or Chad have a B Game    ;D

I agree.  Never seen someone wrestle on top like they do.  Maybe we should rename them the leech twins....they never let go.

or they just suck the life out of you haha no even when they were freshmen they were so good on top and not letting you out that i was so tired after every match. They were 130 and 140 i think then wrestling me @160 and they would take on anyone in the room and give them a great match.

I hope they come out and clean up.

Dougs a good wrestler but he sometimes stalls alot

Coming from the guy with J Jaggars picture for an avitar.  I believe he's found his way through a few college matches with some selective wrestling.  ;D  Some very slick cradles though.

Dougs a good wrestler but he sometimes stalls alot

as good as Doug is I'm going to have to agree with you. Especially when he wrestles Sims. Those are the most frustrating matches I've ever seen. But winning is winning and since he is undefeated I can't take anything away from him. He does what he has to do. Good luck at state.

Stalling?  Stalling?  Are you people crazy??  Didn't he tech two people at semi-state?  Is that stalling?  He stalls against Mater Dei?  There's the pot calling the kettle black!  I have seen  Sims take ONE shot in the last 3 meeting (SIAC, Reg, and Semi-State).  Is he stalling also?  One shot in 18 minutes of wrestling.  Did Sims take any shots when he wrestled Chad?  I wasn't able to watch that one. 

People confuse great riding with stalling. When you have a one point lead and riding the guy out means you win, you hold him down. Thats his job. Just like its Sims job to get away. People get bitter when their wrestler cant beat another. There is always an excuse

People confuse great riding with stalling. When you have a one point lead and riding the guy out means you win, you hold him down. Thats his job. Just like its Sims job to get away. People get bitter when their wrestler cant beat another. There is always an excuse

i'm not saying welch does this but if you are on top with a lead don't you still have to work for a fall or is it ok to just ride a guy.  now, i know it is ok to counter but is it ok to just ride a guy and not work for a fall?

Stalling?  Stalling?  Are you people crazy??  Didn't he tech two people at semi-state?  Is that stalling?  He stalls against Mater Dei?  There's the pot calling the kettle black!  I have seen  Sims take ONE shot in the last 3 meeting (SIAC, Reg, and Semi-State).  Is he stalling also?  One shot in 18 minutes of wrestling.  Did Sims take any shots when he wrestled Chad?  I wasn't able to watch that one. 

l

Last time I took a visit to the doctor I had 20/20 vision and Sims has shot 4 times so that's one shot per match and not to leave out regionals which was ridiculous. when welch tried to funk roll out of a shot and sims had him held down on his back with his leg for 6 seconds and not one near fall is rewarded. Welch opens up to every other wrestler but time after time he blocks off and narrows his game against Sims and it's always been that way since their freshman year. Yeah you can go ahead and say who is getting the wins and he is getting the better of sims this year I'm just stating the obvious. Welch is a tremendous rider probably the best in the state and will do excellent at state but if you think that the welch sims matches are actual wrestling matches than that is just absurd. it's as Frustrating as it gets..

i'm not saying welch does this but if you are on top with a lead don't you still have to work for a fall or is it ok to just ride a guy.  now, i know it is ok to counter but is it ok to just ride a guy and not work for a fall?

thank you good sir. The rules state you must wrestle in top bottom and neutral. That would not be tolorated in Ohio or PA

A collar tie and a knee slap is NOT a shot.  Those in MD singles have done that for years calling the "shots" but they are not legitiate shots.  I completely forgot that they wrestled at Team Regionals also.  Maybe Sims took 3 shots in that match that I didn't see which would, in fact, make it 4.  In the 3 that I saw, he took a total of 1 SHOT!  He did have about 10-15 knee taps though and 2 elbows thrown at Welch's face.  Apparently he's as frustrated as you are.  I hope John has a great weekend and we can see this stalling again under the lights Saturday night.  Good luck to all Southern Indiana wrestlers.

A collar tie and a knee slap is NOT a shot.  Those in MD singles have done that for years calling the "shots" but they are not legitiate shots.  I completely forgot that they wrestled at Team Regionals also.  Maybe Sims took 3 shots in that match that I didn't see which would, in fact, make it 4.  In the 3 that I saw, he took a total of 1 SHOT!  He did have about 10-15 knee taps though and 2 elbows thrown at Welch's face.  Apparently he's as frustrated as you are.  I hope John has a great weekend and we can see this stalling again under the lights Saturday night.  Good luck to all Southern Indiana wrestlers.

I can agree with that. I'm sure they will both be in the finals for another showdown. Good luck to his brother Chad also.

Outsiderview/Westsiderview,

You have dominated for years and we have respected and cheered you on.  To make excuses has never been your way.

There is no crying in baseball and there are no excuses in wrestling.  Your west side predictions were wrong and now you are making excuses?  Excuses are for losers.

no excuses here...i'm calling it like i see it...welch has wrestled better than sims and i don't see it changing this weekend.  I would like to see both in the finals but i doubt sims can get past roach.  welch should make it but surma could give him a lot of trouble according to da rat.  I see Welch getting no worse than 3rd but easily could get 1st or 2nd and I see sims probably taking 5th.

Outsiderview/Westsiderview,

You have dominated for years and we have respected and cheered you on.  To make excuses has never been your way.

There is no crying in baseball and there are no excuses in wrestling.  Your west side predictions were wrong and now you are making excuses?  Excuses are for losers.

no excuses just stating the obvious. Welch has gotten the better of Sims. Imagine if you were on the other side right now and you had to keep watching the same thing keep happening again and again. One call that determines the match or points not being rewarded when you deserve them. Call it excuses I call it the obvious. I've watched it all year and it's about time somebody says something about it. If you kept coming up on the short end of the stick would you finally at least make a comment? It's easy to say you wouldn't  when your not. Like I said before good luck to Doug and Chad. They are some of the finest in southern Indiana. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.