Throwing in the Towel in Ticket Round?

porkrinder

I'm not going to name names...I won't even mention the school (which is very uncharacterstic of me...I'm all about mocking and humiliating children), but during a 145lbs match at the Coliseum saturday (I believe it was the ticket round), a kid walked off the mat with 2 seconds left and down 1 point.  I watched the entire match.  Both kids fought hard.  He was clearly disheartened when his opponent broke the tie with 2 seconds left.  When the official blew his whistleto start them (after he had to bring the kid back onto the mat) the kid turned and walked away from his opponent...who chased him down from behind and took him down to the mat.  People were booing and I wasn't sure whether they were booing the quitter or the kid who fought until the end.  I'm not a wrestling expert by any stretch.  But, when I saw that kid give up like that it really pissed me off...and I wouldn't want someone like that representing my team, my school, my community.    In other words...kudos to the young man who finished the match. 

For those who were there and saw it...what was your take?

i saw this also, they may have been booing the ref too bc the call for a takedown was what appeared to be protested to the second ref however he should a tw owith his hands but that two was for two seconds on the scoreboard, however his fans thought it was for a takedown. the losing kid also undid his headgear before starting the lst two seconds which i thought was very disrespectful to the hard fighting winning of the match and also disrespectful to turn his back on him with the two seconds remaining. I like that the winning kid went after him!!!

i saw this also, they may have been booing the ref too bc the call for a takedown was what appeared to be protested to the second ref however he should a tw owith his hands but that two was for two seconds on the scoreboard, however his fans thought it was for a takedown. the losing kid also undid his headgear before starting the lst two seconds which i thought was very disrespectful to the hard fighting winning of the match and also disrespectful to turn his back on him with the two seconds remaining. I like that the winning kid went after him!!!

I agree that there was a lot of booing when the ref held up two fingers, but we were close enough to see that he was questioning the time.  That particular table had clock issues all day.  Several matches went 30-45 seconds before the officials were aware that the clock had not started.  This particular ref has been burned several times and was watching the clock very closely.

As for the final two seconds I understand being disheartened but you never show your back to your opponent with time left except to make a statement, which he did.  And his opponent made sure he got the message.

Yep, I saw this too.  There was alot of emotions involved...No excuses to be made, you should always be ready to wrestle.... and you should wrestle to the end.  I wish the best of luck to the finisher.  Tear it up!

I actually thought it was quite classless of the garrett kid to chase him down and dump him like that.  I'm surprised it didn't start a fight or cause an injury.  He should have just stood there and posed or better yet start walked the other way.  Ya just did what every wrestler hopes to do to his opponent.  Ya made him quit.......I think there was a fair share of that booing at the end for the winner as well.  Legal.....yes.....unnecessary......yes!!

I actually thought it was quite classless of the garrett kid to chase him down and dump him like that.  I'm surprised it didn't start a fight or cause an injury.  He should have just stood there and posed or better yet start walked the other way.  Ya just did what every wrestler hopes to do to his opponent.  Ya made him quit.......I think there was a fair share of that booing at the end for the winner as well.  Legal.....yes.....unnecessary......yes!!

Disagree...you wrestle til the match is over!  If you turn your back on a wrestler while the match is STILL going on, then he will try to take you down.  You wrestle until the final buzzer!!!!

Completely disagree.  You turn your back on your opponent, you deserve whatever you get as long as it's legal.

I actually thought it was quite classless of the garrett kid to chase him down and dump him like that.

NO, the classless act came from the kid who took off his headgear and walked away DURING the match.  Any competitve wrestler should have done what the Garrett kid did. 

It reminded me of last years NCAA finals when Darrion Caldwell (NC State) defeated Brent Metcalf (Iowa), Caldwell started to celabrate with a flip as the clock ran down and Metcalf tried to tackle him almost mid air.  Don't pull that crap with time of the clock no matter if you are winning or loosing.

NECC, no wonder you have so many boos---That was just disrespectful from the South Adams wrestler. He got what he deserved

Except Metcalf shoved him with no time left, go back again and look at it.

Not diagreeing with you, I said it reminded me of that situation, the celebration started with time on the clock and Metcalf went after him.  Point is Caldwell quit wrestling with time on the clock similar to the situation Saturday at SS. One quit to celebrate the the other quit for the opposite reason. Both cases the othe wrester went after them.....

If a kid is stupid enough to turn his back to his opponent like that, then if they get injured, its there own fault.  I would be disgrace to have a wrestler on my team that would do that, as in I would not let him wrestle on.  Thats just pathetic that you would give up like that, because every wrestler knows that this sport is all about heart mainly, it all comes down to how bad do you really want it, especially when it comes down at the third period like that, you wonder why you do it.  It takes a real wrestler to continue!

If a kid is stupid enough to turn his back to his opponent like that, then if they get injured, its there own fault.  I would be disgrace to have a wrestler on my team that would do that, as in I would not let him wrestle on.  Thats just pathetic that you would give up like that, because every wrestler knows that this sport is all about heart mainly, it all comes down to how bad do you really want it, especially when it comes down at the third period like that, you wonder why you do it.  It takes a real wrestler to continue!

So your saying that you would kick off a guy that has already been a two time state qualifier, was undefeated until this loss, and his season is over? You would be an idiot to kick off a guy like that especially for one little mistake. He is probably the leader on his team and he still has his senior year to go. And I think that guy is definitely good enough to be classified as a "real" wrestler. One mistake doesnt make him a bad wrestler.

The guy was mad that he lost.  He was mad about the call.  He was mad about the whole thing.  If he wants to pout and walk off the mat its fine.  Its better then throwing headgear or punches.  Two seconds left your not going to score a takedown at that level.  As far as the other kid I am not going to say he was wrong, but I wouldn't have been charging the kid with time left on the clock.  Thats strictly from a wrestling standpoint.  I did find it kinda amusing to watch. 

Two seconds left your not going to score a takedown at that level.

I don't disagree that it is unlikely a takedown will happen but it can happen, as I posted earlier on this topic, I am pretty sure Oliver Richmond scored a takedown in the state finals with 2 seconds left, starting in the neutral position.  Can someone confirm the Oliver Richmond situation, I am really curious.  Thank you.

You wrestle until the ref blows his whistle.  I cannot think of any coach that doesn't preach that to their men.  Also, why couldn't you score a takedown in two seconds?  I think a low single would be a legit attempt.  It might be despiration but it is possible to score in two seconds.  If not, at least you went down trying giving 100% of yourself during the match.  Then again, they are just kids.  How clearly did we think when we were teenagers?  Me, not so much.  LOL