Expensive weekend compared with attendance

duck_and_run

I was wandering if anyone had any figures on the attendance of all the semi states.  It looked a little down at Fort Wayne this year.  It now cost 13.50 to get in the door at Fort Wayne semi state.  Thats with parking but still its kinda rediculous for a day of wrestling.  Plus you are in the Coliseum for 12 straight hours with the only place to eat being the pricey concession stands.  If you leave you must buy another parking pass.  I would say that a family of five wanting to attend the Fort Wayne semi state would have well over a $100  investment in the weekend.  I am not complaining about the price I was just wandering if it is effecting attendance at all this year.

Very expensive weekend, at one point a man was pushing a cart and yelled "Get Your Soda and Water Here!!" i replied with "Get Your Way Overpriced Water Here!" 3 bucks for a soda or water in a bottle, outrageous... i didnt really enjoy being thirsty yesterday. I don't see why people should have to pay 13 or sodollars just to attend and then make you eat their overpriced OK tasting food that only fills you up for about an hour. At other semi states are you able to bring coolers?  8)

I'll admit being confused (not an atypical condition for me).  The IHSAA website lists the cost for semistate ticket at $9.  It cost $9 to get in at E'ville.  Why does it cost more at other semistates?  I'm guessing there are surcharges I'm not aware of? ???

i actually thought the same thing yesterday when i was looking through the crowd. It looked packed last year at the finals and this year you could see green seats everywhere. it didnt cost me anything to get in, i filled up the water bottles from the hospitality room and snuck in a 5... 5.... 5 dollar foot long. but i agree with duck... if you were to take a family of four it would be quite pricey. 8)

There are ways around the cooler issue. You can't help it if you have a medical condition that requires you to fix your own specially prepared meals at home. Be prepared with information on your "disease" though as you never know if a doctor will be there at the door.

ff

Hey DNR if you know a proffessional baseball team I can see for under a hundred bucks, let me know! 

I think what everyone needs to realize here is that you are paying for what you get.  I am sure the IHSAA is not getting the use of that facility donated.  It was a $9 ticket at Merrillville, so I would say the extra $4 you paid to watch the event was not too much.  To have a back to your seat instead of bleacher a$$ and back, an extra $4 does not seem like much to me.

I can pick Reds tickets up right now for 5, 7, or 14 dollars and get away just as cheap as a semi state wrestling meet.  I enjoy the venue for the Fort Wayne semi state, but I was wandering if the pricing effected the semi state turnout?  If it does maybe we have to think about cheaper venues and running the concession stands so that we can create more revenue.  Why give all that up if we don't have to.

DNR,

Well that would explain it, the Reds.  Are they still a pro team?  ;D  In my neck of the woods  it is either a Cubs or Sox game here,usually Sox due to me being a fan and it is less costly that the Bubs.  Cant even get the nosebleeds at the Cell for that cheap as you do those Reds tickets though!

New Castle was $9 to get in. That was it. You were allowed to bring in coolers and if you left to go get food, you could bring it in and all you had to do was show them your wrist band and you were right back in. No problem at all. New Castle was, I thought, packed pretty well. No money issues here.

I was at merryville, it was 9 dollars to get it in . I didnt think it was as packed as last year, there was room on top on one side of gym. And alittle room on other side.This was to the finals, the other rounds were more filled.  Concession stand was ok and alittle pricey for water and gatorade ($2). They dont sell candy for the kids which i think is crazy. But did see some great wrestling though.  But over all it should be in a bigger gym. The ISHAA should start listening to us fans and keep the politics out of it.  Maybe that is why people didnt go to finals thinking it was going to be crowded.

Some people would complain if they were paid to attend. Its two weekends a year, if you can't afford it don't go, life like wrestling is all about the sacrifices. I would pay double what their asking t0 attend the Semi and State tournaments.

$9.00 bucks at merrillville and if you get stuck in the balcony you only get to see action on two of the four mats in the first round and the ticket round....Hard to believe they cannot come up with a better place to host this semi-state. Really a bummer only being able to see half  the ticket round matches!!!!!! I say take it to the ARC at Valparaiso university.....Could see all the wrestling from any seat in that venue

If you have a son wrestling and that son is good plan on it through the year, have cofidence in him making it.. If you are a fan pay to see it...i don't know a soul in Indiana wrestling and i went just to watch.  Cheaper and better than a movie.

$9.00 bucks at merrillville and if you get stuck in the balcony you only get to see action on two of the four mats in the first round and the ticket round....Hard to believe they cannot come up with a better place to host this semi-state. Really a bummer only being able to see half  the ticket round matches!!!!!! I say take it to the ARC at Valparaiso university.....Could see all the wrestling from any seat in that venue

Right on.  Valpo,  EC,  Hammond Civic Center, Gary West Side, Michigan City, Layfayette Jeff ... any of these venues would be a HUGE improvement.  As you mentioned, you can only see 2 of the 4 mats from either of the upper bleachers in the Merrillville Gym.   There were ZERO seats open for Rnd1 & 2.  I stood in the corner in the upper balcony next to a gentlemen in his mid 70's for the first 2 rnds. Some Merr. worker actually came over and told us we had to take a seat ... I replied we'd love to ... pls help us find one !!  Then he threatened he was going to have us thrown out !  I believe the bottom line here ... is the almighty dollar.  Even though the fans and sport would seriously win by moving this event to one of the venues mentioned above,  Merrillville isnt about to let those dirty dollars slip out of their hands !    If I'm wrong, pls enlighten me why this event wouldn't be moved to a larger facility.

I don't think that complaining about cost and sneaking food or not patronizing concessions is a good way to support wrestling.  The ihsaa certainly wants revenue and they would be more willing to work with the wrestling community if there was more revenue.

Those of you that think money shouldn't matter, you can crawl out from under a rock now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.