2010 All-State Hard Luck Team

RankingsGuy

this should make a case for wrestlebacks in our individual state tournament... i've compiled a team of the highest ranked kid in the state at each weight to not make it to the show this year.. some of the draws were a real shame, and each of these kids were deserving of an opportunity to wrestleback and qualify for a spot at Conseco that the IHSAA has denied them.

103: Shannon Garretson- Peru

112: Dustin Kief- Franklin Community

119: Marc Escobed0- Lake Central

125: Zach Thornton- Chesterton

130: Collin Crume- Jimtown

135: Jeremy Hill- Jimtown

140: Victor Rodriguez- East Chicago Central

145: Ben Moberly- Floyd Central

152: Jacob Tonte- Perry Meridian

160: Jake Jennings- New Palestine

171: Cheney Dale- McCutcheon

189: Aaron Stevenson- Indian Creek

215: Vlade Nacovski- Lake Central

285: Evan Floyd- Northwestern

looking at this group of 14, this is a SQUAD!  if these 14 were all on the same team, i think they'd contend for a team state title.

I like your idea, but shouldn't you exclude those who did not make the show on account of injuries or disciplinary issues? Wrestle backs wouldn't matter for either of those.

I Agree exclude the injuries and disciplinaries those are unavoidable, but we can prevent some of the quality wrestlers who just get bad draws from going home a week early. The problem is year after year we have this problem and personly I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel. ISHAA just doesn't like quality improvement.

I also wanted to add that I personally saw a kid who has no business at all to be at the state finals. The kid got 4th at regionals gets an amazing  draw makes it on gets dominated in the next two rounds, while the top three kids from that weight class draw numb. 1,2,and 9 in the state and they came in with a combined 3 losses. This is a mockery of our state finals. We can do better; We can have wrestle backs.

My Last note,

Lets make Skill and Consistancy our priority, not luck of the draw.

I would like to see them go back to taking 3 from regionals and give these kids a chance to wrestleback so that we get the best 4 to Conseco. At Merrillille, there were some of the qtr final losers were probably in the top 4 but because of bad draws they dont get the opportunity. Some examples could be - Orzechowicz @ 112,  Torres & Escobedo @ 119, Thorton & Hartman @ 125, Anglemeyer, Marcuccilli,& Schurg @ 135, Rodriguez @ 140, Torres & Lewandowski @ 145, Peco @ 171, Fowler @ 189, Mcdaniel @ 215 and Wedow or Mukai @ 285. By only taking 3 from Regionals it would take the same amount of time with wrestlebacks as it would  taking 4 with no wrestleback . Come on Ihsaa lets get this right.

I would like to see them go back to taking 3 from regionals and give these kids a chance to wrestleback so that we get the best 4 to Conseco. At Merrillille, there were some of the qtr final losers were probably in the top 4 but because of bad draws they dont get the opportunity. Some examples could be - Orzechowicz @ 112,  Torres & Escobedo @ 119, Thorton & Hartman @ 125, Anglemeyer, Marcuccilli,& Schurg @ 135, Rodriguez @ 140, Torres & Lewandowski @ 145, Peco @ 171, Fowler @ 189, Mcdaniel @ 215 and Wedow or Mukai @ 285. By only taking 3 from Regionals it would take the same amount of time with wrestlebacks as it would  taking 4 with no wrestleback . Come on Ihsaa lets get this right.

As much as we all like the ideas of wrestlebacks I feel that the fourth placers from the regionals have MORE THAN proven themselves the last two years.

I don't feel bad at all or think it's "hard luck" for those kids not wrestling because of disciplinary issues.  Had they not been doing something to get into trouble, they'd be wrestling...  Stupid decisions are not "hard luck".

I think it would make more sense to put Brooks Faurote in at 135. He was the one with the bad luck and bad draw.  Hill got beat by someone that Faurote has beaten 2 or 3 times this year. The only reason Hill was ranked ahead of Faurote was because of a coin flip.

Didn't Hill beat Faurote at the Al Smith?

Didn't Hill beat Faurote at the Al Smith?

In the final, ultimate overtime because Hill got choice. He won the toss to open the 2nd period. I am not trying to make excuses, because I think that if Hill and Faurote wrestled 10 times, it would be close very time. I just think if you're talking about Hard Luck, the guy that got the hard luck was Faurote, not Hill. Hill had the draw to get to state and just couldn't close out a pretty good Zeke Schultz.

The 4th place finisher have proven to be able to win a 4 man mini tourney to get to state a couple of times but with out wrestle backs we do not know who the 4 best kids are that should be advancing. Would they make it with wrestle backs? How much does that luck of the draw  play in to who gets to state and who stays home. Some quality kids that lost to a better wrestler but had beaten kids that made it to state earlier in the tournament series are staying home because they had bad luck.  I would think more times than not with wrestle backs someone taking 4th from  regionals  would not make it to state.

Remember that taking 4 to semi state was something that the coach community had not asked for but rather the ihsaa in their great wisdom told the wrestling community of Indiana that was needed. If we would only take 3 from regionals and have wrestle backs from the quarters on then the best 4 kids could move on.  Then luck of the draw would be lessen greatly.

Sadly I do not see this changing anytime soon with the current people in charge of the ihsaa.

As much as we all like the ideas of wrestlebacks I feel that the fourth placers from the regionals have MORE THAN proven themselves the last two years.

I don't feel bad at all or think it's "hard luck" for those kids not wrestling because of disciplinary issuesHad they not been doing something to get into trouble, they'd be wrestling...  Stupid decisions are not "hard luck".

You don't know what you're talking about...

I agree, a decision involves choice so that removes any vestige of luck from the situation.Of course kids don't always make the right choice and discipline with guidance helps put them back on the straight on narrow. I couldn't call a discipline case hard luck unless the kid had no knowledge of the rule or there were no alternate choices

In the final, ultimate overtime because Hill got choice. He won the toss to open the 2nd period. I am not trying to make excuses, because I think that if Hill and Faurote wrestled 10 times, it would be close very time. I just think if you're talking about Hard Luck, the guy that got the hard luck was Faurote, not Hill. Hill had the draw to get to state and just couldn't close out a pretty good Zeke Schultz.

Gotcha, but we don't know whether or not Hill would have ridden Faurote out...

Expand in your all mighty wisdom please.

"I don't feel bad at all or think it's "hard luck" for those kids not wrestling because of disciplinary issues.  Had they not been doing something to get into trouble, they'd be wrestling...  Stupid decisions are not "hard luck"."

So anybody that was beat in the second round is stupid and has disciplinary issues?

"I don't feel bad at all or think it's "hard luck" for those kids not wrestling because of disciplinary issues.  Had they not been doing something to get into trouble, they'd be wrestling...  Stupid decisions are not "hard luck"."

So anybody that was beat in the second round is stupid and has disciplinary issues?

What are you referring to?  I'm not talking about kids beat in the ticket round...  No where did I mention that, those kids I feel for.  They have worked so hard to get to that point and some ended up with the toughest draws and losing to the champion.  Disciplinary Issues mean just that, disciplinary issues.  Those not wrestling because of a poor decision they made.  For example, Jacob Tonte from PM.  Hard luck would be drawing into a potential state champion for the ticket round or  coming up with an injury as Chaney Dale did from McCutchen or Aaron Stevenson from Indian Creek.

No, if you follow the thread from the beginning you see that he is pointing out wrestlers not allowed to compete  due to a violation of a school rule should not be considered in a" hard luck" thread. At least one on the original list was a case in point.

this should make a case for wrestlebacks in our individual state tournament... i've compiled a team of the highest ranked kid in the state at each weight to not make it to the show this year.. some of the draws were a real shame, and each of these kids were deserving of an opportunity to wrestleback and qualify for a spot at Conseco that the IHSAA has denied them.

103: Shannon Garretson- Peru

112: Dustin Kief- Franklin Community

119: Marc Escobed0- Lake Central

125: Zach Thornton- Chesterton

130: Collin Crume- Jimtown

135: Jeremy Hill- Jimtown

140: Victor Rodriguez- East Chicago Central

145: Ben Moberly- Floyd Central

152: Jacob Tonte- Perry Meridian

160: Jake Jennings- New Palestine

171: Cheney Dale- McCutcheon

189: Aaron Stevenson- Indian Creek

215: Vlade Nacovski- Lake Central

285: Evan Floyd- Northwestern

looking at this group of 14, this is a SQUAD!  if these 14 were all on the same team, i think they'd contend for a team state title.

was told garretson was really sick friday night and saturday mornin pukin and had it comin out the other end every half hour. had an allergic reaction to some food or somethin.  he didnt sleep at all and had no strength and couldnt breath well.  managed to win his first one but couldn pull off the next one..just couldnt do it ...gave a good effort u could tell he def wasnt himself at all.  garretson beat schoettle at mishawaka 6-1 while hamm lost to him 5-1 in which hamm won the weight class.  its sad garretson def woulda won this weight class if he were himself.  sad that this happened to him and the day right before semi state.  kudos for him goin out there and tryin took some guts.  good luck to him for whatever his future holds

you can talk about a bad draw or what could happened but it doesnt matter in all honesty. the wrestlers going to indy have earned it and worked hard. not saying others didnt but if a wrestler is supposedly getting a bad draw and cant get out, then they arent truly a champion? not saying they arent quality kids who should place in state, but the tournament is to find a champion, sometimes its who is hot at the right time. just an opinion, and i am a fan of 4th place guys gettin the shot to wrestle the #1's and have a chance and have no wrestle backs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.