What Made You Want to Coach

IUBjj171

Frustrated athletes make some of the best coaches. Maybe injuries or misfortune during their wrestling career. They bring a lot of passion and drive with them.

I agree big time. My dad was a coach, so I grew up with it, and then had nerve damage in my leg that ended my career after my freshman year, so I had a lot of passion and just want help anyone to meet their goals in any way I can. I started helping out with Jr High wrestling while I was still in high school and once I got to college I started helping with high school.

My parents moved to Indiana while I was in the army so I had to come here for college.  When I got out I started teaching and coaching football.  I had never seen a wrestling match.  That first Christmas I was asked to help with an 8 team tourney.  Two years later I began a 26 year wrestling coaching career.

I was tricked! They said I'd get free stuff! But all and all.... I never had a son.(wrestling coaches curse!).. So I thought...what a better way to have 30 sons a year, that I can give back in March and have the summers off!

I am iin my second year coaching, and I did it for two reasons. The first is the love for the sport.....there isn't anything better than wrestling....the second is so I can relive the things that I never accomplished through my wrestlers...I never won a sectional in high school and I had a wrestler win one this year, and I think I was happier for him than he was!!

The Immortal Bob Jarret made me want to coach.  He always made the older kids teach the younger kids.  The first time a younger kid came up and gave me a hug and told me "Thanks" for helping them learn a take down, I was hooked.  I LOVE THIS SPORT.  I have been blessed to have been exposed to some Great coaches over the years.  All of them made me want to coach.  Jarret, Moe, Callahan, McClain, Overfield, Warthan, Finley, Peck, Welliver, Day, Boes, Patton, and Hump to name a few.  I have been blessed to have known all of these coaches and to have learned from all of them.  I just wish I would have listened to them when I was younger I probably would have done more with my career.  It was not until just recently that I understood what some of them were trying to tell me.  "PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A@@ AND JUST WRESTLE"

Thanks to all the coaches that helped me along the way and those that are still helping me.

Lawler

Frustrated athletes make some of the best coaches. Maybe injuries or misfortune during their wrestling career. They bring a lot of passion and drive with them.

I couldnt have said it better myself. I tore my ACL in opposite Knees my junior/senior year in football so i was unable 2 wreslte.. I would do anthing to have those 2 years on the mat... since that will never happen i feel this unbelievable urge to get back on the mat and im not gnna wrestle in college be 23 when i get out of the corps.. so the only other option is to coach. get as close 2 the mat as possible... i love love love going home over xmas vacation and workin out/ rolling around with the Wrestling team. I cant explain the feeling i get when im on the mat.. its amazing. So i know someday i will b a coach dont know how successful i will be.  but how do u measure success as a coach by the number of SQ u have.. or by the number of lives you change. I say a combination of both but i would love to influence a HS wrestler like my coach influnced me... only time will tell but i know 1 thing- I LOVE THE SPORT OF WRESTLING.

I'm still not sure...I didn't even realize I was coaching until about 3 days ago.

LOL, I have heard many people from Bluffton same the same thing about you.....they had NO idea you were even coaching.....LOL.....JK.  Keep up the good work.

I am surprised I have not seen because of the great pay.................ALL coaches are much appreciated, the time and dedication you have spent on our kids is unmeasurable... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.