How will other states view us?

maligned

If Sarah Hildebrandt qualifies for state this weekend or next year, it will be a national story in the wrestling community.  How will other states view us?  Will they view her qualification for what it is--a great accomplishment by a very hard worker wrestling for a top program?  Will they try to question the strength of our state tournament, saying small-minded things like, "they must be weak if a girl can qualify for state"?  Will they see it as an inspiration for drawing other young women into the sport?  What will this great story (even at the point it's already come) do for others' view of Indiana wrestling?

Let's see:  She has wrestled for how many years?  She is on a top 20 team in the state?  She was JV all season until she got this opportunity, and even then she won the respectable Jim Nicholson (Charger) Invite? 

Will they mention that she has been invited to Olympic Training Center this spring?  Will they mention how many other IN wrestlers have been invited in the history of the OTC? 

What will they say when she qualifies a second time in her senior year? 

Now for the 'what if' questions (no pressure Sara, just trying to make a point)?  What if she lands on a college/Olympic team?  What if she continues the movement for women's wrestling?  What if she can change the minds of single minded legislatures and her story in the catalyst for reform? 

Bring it on!  How will other state view us?!  Either way, she has made an incredible impression on the people who have taken the time to really get to know the PERSON.  Nothing else matters.

First of all, I grant her the same congratulations as any wrestler at the semistate.  Good job.  As for being a girl, it makes no difference to me.  She is the same weight as her boy competition and strength is only a small part of wrestling.  With proper training there is no reason why she shouldn't do well against the boys.  However, to be perfectly honest and fair, a trip to semistate is quite a bit easier now that they take the top four to semistate.  I understand that she was a 3rd place finisher and would have been there under the old format.  Heck, I would like to see her do well but I can tell you that she will have her hands full with the kid from Harrison.  Logan regional is weak, but this kid is not.  If she does get past the Munster kid, I do not see her beating Overby.  She might prove me wrong, but she has a lot of work to do before we start putting her at the state meet.  Good luck to all competitors regardless of gender.

Let's see:  She has wrestled for how many years?  She is on a top 20 team in the state?  She was JV all season until she got this opportunity, and even then she won the respectable Jim Nicholson (Charger) Invite? 

Will they mention that she has been invited to Olympic Training Center this spring?  Will they mention how many other IN wrestlers have been invited in the history of the OTC? 

What will they say when she qualifies a second time in her senior year? 

Now for the 'what if' questions (no pressure Sara, just trying to make a point)?  What if she lands on a college/Olympic team?  What if she continues the movement for women's wrestling?  What if she can change the minds of single minded legislatures and her story in the catalyst for reform? 

Bring it on!  How will other state view us?!  Either way, she has made an incredible impression on the people who have taken the time to really get to know the PERSON.  Nothing else matters.

I don't know this "awood" guy, and I think a few years ago he said a few things I REALLY disagreed with; however, very nicely said here.  This may be a new friendship starting!!

First of all, I grant her the same congratulations as any wrestler at the semistate.  Good job.  As for being a girl, it makes no difference to me.  She is the same weight as her boy competition and strength is only a small part of wrestling.  With proper training there is no reason why she shouldn't do well against the boys.  However, to be perfectly honest and fair, a trip to semistate is quite a bit easier now that they take the top four to semistate.  I understand that she was a 3rd place finisher and would have been there under the old format.  Heck, I would like to see her do well but I can tell you that she will have her hands full with the kid from Harrison.  Logan regional is weak, but this kid is not.  If she does get past the Munster kid, I do not see her beating Overby.  She might prove me wrong, but she has a lot of work to do before we start putting her at the state meet.  Good luck to all competitors regardless of gender.

Hater? Did she beat your son? I sense some dislike for this topic coming from you. I don?t no if she will make to state or not. I can tell you I will be cheering for her, but I can tell you she is only going to get better over the summer and if not this year than next year not only will she qualify but I?d put money she places. 

If Sarah Hildebrandt qualifies for state this weekend or next year, it will be a national story in the wrestling community.  How will other states view us?  Will they view her qualification for what it is--a great accomplishment by a very hard worker wrestling for a top program?  Will they try to question the strength of our state tournament, saying small-minded things like, "they must be weak if a girl can qualify for state"?  Will they see it as an inspiration for drawing other young women into the sport?  What will this great story (even at the point it's already come) do for others' view of Indiana wrestling?

Actually, if I remember correctly, a girl in Alabama WON her state wrestling title a few years ago...(I forget what weight class). So we aren't the first....

Actually, if I remember correctly, a girl in Alabama WON her state wrestling title a few years ago...(I forget what weight class). So we aren't the first....

A few girls have made it to state before in other states.  The first girl state champion was actually from Alaska at 103 in the large school division against a sophmore.  Not sure how she did in the previous years.  She had at least one older brother that was a 2 time state champion.

Wouldn't you agree though, that we should all be past this 'novelty' phase.  Sara, and many others, have proven that girls can wrestle.  When will we finally get past gender as start seeing everyone as a wrestler.  Wrestling gets in your blood and changes you.  It has obviously in Sara's.  She shares our passion for this lifestyle. 

I could care less if she wins or loses on Saturday.  I want to welcome her to the culture that has taken me so far in life.  Saturday is a test for her, yes.  However, she has the rest of her life to prove she understands the life lessons wrestling has taught her/us. 

It has taught me to show everyone who has the guts to step to the center and shake hand a level of respect others have to work hard to earn from me.

I think if they (other states) look at the big picture they will give her and the state the respect we deserve. If i remember correctly she was JV before the injury to the other wrestler. How many JV kids on most teams can make a run like this athlete has made not many. Goodluck Sarh from the Harris family

Micheala Hutchison, the first female to win a state title against boys was a 4x place winner in Alaska.  She went 2,1,4,5 at 103, 103,112,119.  Her older bbrother Zeb was a 2x state champ and older brother Eli was a 4x State Champ.  Older Sister Melina was first girl to place in a state tournament in 2001 when she placed 3rd. 

Good Luck Sara. Maybe my wife will let me sign my daughter up after we watch you wrestle at Conseco!

In regards to other states-- I watched Craig Macke wrestle a female state place winner from Michigan at the Scholastic Duals in Battle Creek, MI. She was tougher than nails and gave Macke, an outstanding Indiana wrestler, all that he wanted.

I was the announcer (poor example of that if you ask me) at the Mishawaka Sectional.  On Sarah's info sheet for the finals she was the #5 ranked female wrestler at 109lbs in the Nation.  I already knew of her and her accomplishments on the National scene, but I was proud to let the crowd know about them at Sectionals, even though I'm a Caveman.  I also correspond with Bob Preusse at AWN regarding Indiana wrestling and he is well aware of her accomplishments thus far!  We'll all be pulling for you Sarah, give 'em hell!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.