Whats right with wrestling....

AJ

We spent a lot of time talking about what is wrong with out sport over the last few weeks, and rightfully so.  However, I would like to tell everyone what is right about our sport.

Sunday night I am leaving a Superbowl party when I get a frantic phonecall.  It is my sister-in-law telling me that their house was on fire.  Many of you know Isaiah Bradley as my little brother, but in actuality he is my nephew.  This was his house that was on fire.    I got there and Isaiah was standing outside the house crying as firemen are inside fighting the fire.  The house did not burn to the ground, but it did destroy the majority of the inside of the house and and almost all of the clothes and personal possessions.  I would also like to say that no one was hurt.

As word spread of what happened I started to get phone calls from wrestling coaches and wrestling parents and friends from around the state asking me what they could do to help Isaiah and to help everyone else involved.  Items for Isaiah and the baby soon started to come in, just  a day after the fire.

This is what is great about wrestling.  We all know what each other goes through and treat wrestlers like family.  We may not always get along, but we all respect the time and effort that each person pays to become a wrestler. 

It may have been a bad few weeks for wrestling, but let us please remember that there is still alot right with this sport and the people involved.

It takes a lot more heart than skill to wrestle. A lot of sports you have to be either super gifted. It might be in height, size, etc. Wrestlers are very talented and skilled, but some are just average. It takes a lot of heart to come out everyday and get your butt kicked day in and day out and keep coming back for more. Wrestlers learn what hard work and discipline is all about. It allow wrestlers to come together and be a family. Everyone respects a person who works hard. Regardless of talent. Keep the tradition alive and respect everyone.

AJ - our prayers go out to Isaiah and his family, loosing personal property that CAN NOT be replaces is tough and watching the place you call home in danger of burning is very tramatic.  Send me a PM or e-mail if there ANYTHING we can do .....  Glad to hear everyone is safe.

AJ, you are correct, wrestling is more then the time we, or our kids spend on the mat. It is about the freinds that we find throughout their wrestling that makes it so much fun to be around. One of the things I miss the most since his graduation is the other fathers that I would see every weekend. We would spend the hours at the meet talking, and telling our own stories, listening to theirs. I know my son has made friends not just all over the state, but throughout the country as well, because of his travels. That fact alone ought to be enough, but then you look at the respect that you earn by working hard, and the dedication that you learn through this sport, and there is plenty to be proud of. Even after the last few weeks. Also, if you need anything for the family, let me know. We dont have babies in the house any longer, but we might still be able to pull together a few items to help out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.