Things I have learned from Wrestling

BlueBolt

Each year I find myself posting this question in in one form or another.  It's important to reflect on the important things we learn in life I guess.

In 1986 I learned a very interesting piece of triva while on a road trip to Bloomington. 

I learned that I learned that Side One of Led Zepplin IV is 60 minutes long.

No matter where you think you are on the mat:

If you take a shot you are closer to the edge of the mat than you think.

If your opponent takes the shot you are farther from the edge of the mat than you think.

Seems that is still true whenever I take a risk thrty years later.

No matter where you think you are on the mat:

If you take a shot you are closer to the edge of the mat than you think.

If your opponent takes the shot you are farther from the edge of the mat than you think.

Seems that is still true whenever I take a risk thrty years later.

VERY WELL PUT!  Excellent!

My high school coach used to have a saying that went like this:  "If you're early, you're on time.  If you're on time, you're late."

Very simple but also very applicable to anything you do in your life.  I share this with my wrestlers every season.

That and "girls and wrestling don't mix."

1.  Never ask your wrestler what they weigh.

2.  Act like you don't see your wrestler weighing themselves with the food they are about to eat on the scales with them (usually balanced on the head).

3.  Never under estimate the parents of your wrestler's opponent.  They can be great and they can be nasty (and when I say nasty, I mean nasty)

4.  We go to gyms where there is no room for spectators but every year we act like it is the best venue since sliced bread.

5.  We wait to hear that one spectator yell at the official, this way, the coaches don't have to.

6.  The skin "funk" vocabullary...

7.  Watching this website and reading about below level wrestler's who someone picks to win...

My high school coach used to have a saying that went like this:  "If you're early, you're on time.  If you're on time, you're late."

Very simple but also very applicable to anything you do in your life.  I share this with my wrestlers every season.

Similar version...

"To be early is to be on time, as to be on time is to be late, and to be late is inexcusalbe!"

-Bruce McGeth

Tech H.S. Track & Cross Country Coach

Social Studies Teacher

He had this on his blackboard his entire teaching career and always cautioned at the beginning of each semester, "Do not enter this classroom after the bell without a note from the dean."

This is an adage that I live by!

after a few beers, you should never taunt one of your kid's buddies from the wrestling team to "come on man, try me" ESPECIALLY if he is good and outweighs you by 45 lbs. within 5 seconds, he had my right foot stuffed in my left back pocket.... pulled my hamstring, missed 3 days of work and spent 2 months going to the choiropractor... TRUE STORY!! and that kid is ranked at 215  Btw, I never wrestled... But hey I've seen alot of matches....

What I have learned is this:

Life, with all of it's trails and tribulations, is far easier than wrestling ever will be.  Wrestling does not prepare us for life...Some lives are just MEANT to expirence wrestling.

I need wrestling more than wrestling needs me!

I learned this as a teenager and still believe it to this day. I was a problem/lost child and the wrestling community gave me someplace that I felt I belonged and helped me to mature.

I learned this as a teenager and still believe it to this day. I was a problem/lost child and the wrestling community gave me someplace that I felt I belonged and helped me to mature.

Lj, this is priceless.  I wish we started every season with this quote.  Thanks for pointing this out again!

The reason we give so much of our time...if just one boy in our wrestling family feels this way it's worth it!  Thanks for posting  :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.